User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Default $0.25 to use public toilets

I saw this for the first time in a local McDonald's; in order to enter the men's restroom, a token had to be purchased for $0.25 and inserted into a coin slot on the restroom door. (The women's restroom was free.)

I don't have proof, but I saw this somewhere, in a rather dirty neighborhood in the city. (Were they worried about crime?)

My question: What could have motivated the restaurant to do this? What is it supposed to achieve or prevent? I don't see the rationale, except for a way to gather extra revenue for the store, but...any other reasons?
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    INTP

It was probably instituted to prevent homeless people from using the restrooms for bathing or masturbation. This policy will piss off paying customers, however, so I think its counter-productive.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

We've got a discount grocery store here called Aldi's, and to get a grocery cart you have to put a quarter into a slot. Apparently there is a remarkable psychological effect in play. If you pay for something, even just a quarter, you're much more likely to use it responsibly. Aldi's reports that nearly 100% of people bring their carts back to the store rather than leaving them in the parking lot.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    We've got a discount grocery store here called Aldi's, and to get a grocery cart you have to put a quarter into a slot. Apparently there is a remarkable psychological effect in play. If you pay for something, even just a quarter, you're much more likely to use it responsibly. Aldi's reports that nearly 100% of people bring their carts back to the store rather than leaving them in the parking lot.
    You actually get your quarter back too. You aren't really paying anything. But I always figured that it was because you had to bring it back to where the carts are stored to get your quarter back. That way they don't hire baggers.

[/derail]

I haven't seen this in any other fast food place, or a McDonalds. Maybe they just wanted there to be less crime, as you said? I can't think of another reason.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    ???
    Socionics
    ????

Funny to read for me, because here it is not anything special.

For the grocery cart we have to put in a 1 Euro coin here to get it, everywhere. There are also some special coins only for that purpose which you can insert instead though. When you bring it back, you get the coin back.

The public toilet stuff is relative common here too, but not really all toilets have to be paid. In some you have to pay to even get into it because there is some blockade, at others (I think at MacDonalds it is so, I don't go there very often) there is some person sitting there where you pay as much as you want (don't know whether you get through without paying). I guess most people throw in 50 cent, which is the same as in the ones where you have to pay I think.

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Yeah, I ended peeing in my pants when I was three of four because after I saw a movie in Westwood with my cousin, she couldn't find a dime fast enough to let me into some public bathroom.

That sucked.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

Sniffles

Oh I had to pay to use public restrooms before in other countries.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Good, so you have figured out the point?

I had a funny feeling it might be common in more crowded areas.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by SillySapienne View Post
    Yeah, I ended peeing in my pants when I was three of four because after I saw a movie in Westwood with my cousin, she couldn't find a dime fast enough to let me into some public bathroom.

That sucked.
    To quote Billy Madison: "If peeing your pants is cool, just call me Miles Davis"

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    -1w sp/sx
    Socionics
    IOU Ni

My question: What could have motivated the restaurant to do this? What is it supposed to achieve or prevent? I don't see the rationale, except for a way to gather extra revenue for the store, but...any other reasons?
    I find it not that uncommon over here.
    At McD's, there's usually a woman sitting in front of the restroom with a plate or something on which you're supposed to leave a small amount (like 0.30 or something) - though of course it's not mandatory. She supposedly gets the money, although I've also read that she isn't the one that gets the money, but just her fixed amount and has to hand over to the company that hires her (usually not McD's). - Although all of this doesn't compare to buying tokens.
    At any rate, I find it questionable - since this is also what you're paying for by buying your food there.

Apart from that, municipal public toilets (like in pedestrian zones) are sometimes free, but I've never seen a "free restroom" at a train station (seperate lounges may have them, but you're not allowed to be in there unless you have a first-class ticket).

(The women's restroom was free.)
    If that's true, it's sexist.
    IN SERIO FATVITAS.

-τὸ γὰρ γράμμα ἀποκτέννει, τὸ δὲ πνεῦμα ζῳοποιεῖ-