User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Results 51 to 60 of 79

  1. #51
    Don't pet me. JAVO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    6,050

    Default

    I used literacy to liberate myself from the oppression of pay-to-poop restrooms.





    What now? Are the bears going to start charging me a toll?

  2. #52
    Strongly Ambivalent Ivy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    24,060

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post

    Well, that sounds perfectly reasonable to me. There's no reason to expect them to extend bathroom privileges to non-customers.
    What if they only require it of men, but don't mind women who aren't patrons using the women's room? Is that still sexist?
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

  3. #53
    Freshman Member simulatedworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    5,554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    What if they only require it of men, but don't mind women who aren't patrons using the women's room? Is that still sexist?
    Yes. If they need a quarter per man who uses the restroom, why don't they just charge all non-patrons 12-13 cents?

    By the way, how does paying a quarter prevent non-patrons from messing up the restroom in the first place? They might be even more likely to do it if they're pissed that they had to pay to use the restroom.

    The argument for it basically comes down to, "Well if men don't want to pay to use the restroom, they should learn not to make a mess of it!", which is ridiculous because it implies that having the same sex organs as someone else somehow generates responsibility for his misbehavior. As if all men have monthly meetings and delegate the task of fucking up public bathrooms. I have absolutely no control over how other men behave in public restrooms, and I'm not responsible for the misbehavior of another person just because we have the same sex organs.

    I simply do not understand why I should bear more responsibility for the misbehavior of other men than you do, when neither of us has any control whatsoever over how those men behave. Nobody consulted me before deciding restrooms should be divided by gender. So if you're going to take the cost of the cleanup out on non-patrons who use the restroom, you should take it out on all non-patrons who use the restroom.

    At the end of the day, it doesn't make sense to punish an entire demographic for the misbehavior of a small minority of people in that demographic. As I asked earlier, why don't airports get to charge Muslims more for their plane tickets? After all, Muslims are far more likely to blow up multi-million dollar airplanes than any other demographic.

    Of course, 99.9999% of Muslims are not going to blow up an airplane, but apparently that doesn't matter.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

  4. #54
    Senior Member sculpting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    4,226

    Default

    I actually hold onto all of my 50 cent euro coins and identify locations of public restrooms whenever I go to europe. When I went to vienna I was seven months pregnant, thus this became a vital piece of logistical data.

  5. #55
    Senior Member sculpting's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    4,226

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    Yes. If they need a quarter per man who uses the restroom, why don't they just charge all non-patrons 12-13 cents?

    By the way, how does paying a quarter prevent non-patrons from messing up the restroom in the first place? They might be even more likely to do it if they're pissed that they had to pay to use the restroom.

    The argument for it basically comes down to, "Well if men don't want to pay to use the restroom, they should learn not to make a mess of it!", which is ridiculous because it implies that having the same sex organs as someone else somehow generates responsibility for his misbehavior. As if all men have monthly meetings and delegate the task of fucking up public bathrooms. I have absolutely no control over how other men behave in public restrooms, and I'm not responsible for the misbehavior of another person just because we have the same sex organs.

    I simply do not understand why I should bear more responsibility for the misbehavior of other men than you do, when neither of us has any control whatsoever over how those men behave. Nobody consulted me before deciding restrooms should be divided by gender. So if you're going to take the cost of the cleanup out on non-patrons who use the restroom, you should take it out on all non-patrons who use the restroom.

    At the end of the day, it doesn't make sense to punish an entire demographic for the misbehavior of a small minority of people in that demographic. As I asked earlier, why don't airports get to charge Muslims more for their plane tickets? After all, Muslims are far more likely to blow up multi-million dollar airplanes than any other demographic.

    Of course, 99.9999% of Muslims are not going to blow up an airplane, but apparently that doesn't matter.
    I didnt read any of this thread before i posted but for some reason SW, this is just fucking hysterical. Pick your battles!!! Is the bathroom debate worth this substantial an output of NeTi energy? Are you really comparing men pissing on the toilet seat to muslim terrorists? haha ... that is some funny shit.

    And yeah, most men are pigs in the bathroom and manage to piss all over everything. I dont understand the physics here but it is just a fact. Sorry SW, as you could be the exception.

  6. #56
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    I haven't seen any evidence showing that the reason for this policy is the fact that the bathrooms were messy. Did I miss it? Or did people just make stuff up?
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  7. #57
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Puppy View Post
    And yeah, most men are pigs in the bathroom and manage to piss all over everything. I dont understand the physics here but it is just a fact. Sorry SW, as you could be the exception.
    If it's a "just a fact", I want to see statistics. Surely there has been a study performed at some point.

    P.S. I think you're wrong that "most men are pigs in the bathroom and manage to piss all over everything". Perhaps you should use more precise wording.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  8. #58
    RETIRED CzeCze's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    GONE
    Posts
    9,051

    Default

    I think it's a great idea. I know I've seen it in Mexico and Peru, but thought was to cover the costs of keeping the bathroom stocked and clean. And in Peru it was more like a strong suggested donation. Or an honor system where you put down some coins in exchange for picking up clean tissue paper.

    I would hope the .25 cents goes to keeping the bathroom looking swanky and clean because paying .25 cents for an above ground cess pool just sounds so very wrong. Who knows maybe it'll mke it seem more exclusive and you conduct yourself differently. Like having a towel person in the bathroom (which only seems to happen in men's restrooms, what's up with that?)

    The psychological effect of 25 cents charge is that only people who "really need it" will use the bathrooms. Similar to what charging people 5 cents for plastic bags (which they've done in Washington, DC and for the Ikea chain in the states) has done. If it makes bathrooms less crowded and therefore a little cleaner and better for wear, all the better for me when I have to use my 25 cents.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

    "I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

    Johari/Nohari

  9. #59
    IRL is not real Cimarron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Posts
    3,424

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I haven't seen any evidence showing that the reason for this policy is the fact that the bathrooms were messy. Did I miss it? Or did people just make stuff up?
    There's no evidence, but I'm at a loss for reasons for this policy, so I'm encouraging people to brainstorm and make stuff up, to explain it.

    Someone mentioned the men-women difference being a "least-impact resolution," and this is also what I figured. It still doesn't explain what caused the difference (which I am also wondering), but it explains the policy itself. If there is a gap in logic, it's probably because of efficiency/convenience.

    I'd thought charging for restroom entry would have the effect of people being more careful, along the lines of "People don't take care of what they don't have to pay for," if it's related to the restroom's cleanliness. That is, if cleanliness is the concern. Maybe it's to prevent drug deals in the bathroom, or other general loitering? Homeless people coming in to use the restroom, but not paying for any food, I could see happening at this place, and therefore being a profit concern for the store management.

    Ivy, that system where you must pay to enter the restroom if you're not buying anything makes more sense, though I don't remember if it was the case. I never ended up going in. As CzeCze says, the effect is that fewer people will use the (men's) restroom.

    I don't think the debate is out of hand, the replies are proportionate to my confusion on the issue. Doesn't matter, though, because I don't eat there, except the one time.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

  10. #60
    Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    7,917

    Default

    I don't think private businesses should expected to provide free bathroom use.

    I think we should have public public bathrooms. Tax payer funded.

Similar Threads

  1. Please tell me how it feels like to use your primary functions in everyday life
    By Lightyear in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 05-19-2010, 09:49 PM
  2. [MBTItm] Help! I need to learn how to use logic!!
    By dee in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 02-05-2009, 04:50 AM
  3. Mind Manager tools & types who like to use them...?
    By alcea rosea in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 11-24-2008, 01:26 PM
  4. learning to use functions
    By UnitOfPopulation in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-29-2007, 04:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO