User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Its pretty obvious that there are a fair amount of homosexuals in the Catholic Church. Its against the church doctrine to allow homosexual practice but they tend to be flexible on taking homosexual members if they (like there heterosexual counterparts) will swear to be celibate.

Thus unless the church purges itself of all homosexuals (practicing or no) this or similar conduct will continue at least in isolated levels. If a purge happens a majority of the homosexuals within the church will suffer because of the acts of a minority.

Personally I don't give a rats ass if some priests are paying for sex with adults as long as it keeps them away from the kids. Fuck they should encourage it as an alternate if necessary.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    There's a good video of Stephen Fry equating the Church's obsession with sex to an anorexic or morbidly obese person's obsession with food. I thought the metaphor was pretty good. Ivy found the video:

Dailymotion - The Intelligence≤ Debate - Stephen Fry (Unedited) - a Film & TV video
    Actually, Saint Catherine of Siena was venerated for her ability to abstain from eating. Of course, she was clinically anorexic, attempting to condone and sustain her disorder via religion. She died at age 33 from lack of food intake.

St Catherine died in Rome, the spring of 1380, at the age of thirty-three. Given that Jesus is said to have died at the same age, and Catherine's idol Mary Magdalen is said to have fasted for thirty-three years, this may imply a self-staged suicide from lack of food intake. [6]
    Over the years Catherine had eaten less and less, finding no nourishment in earthly food. Instead she received the Holy Communion virtually on a daily basis. This extreme fasting appeared unhealthy in the eyes of the clergy and her own sisterhood, and her confessor, Raymond of Capua, feared a scandal and so ordered her to eat properly. But Catherine claimed that she was unable to, describing her inability to eat as an infermita, illness. She would throw up what she swallowed, and suffered severe stomach pains, which she bore with patience as another penalty. She waited on the poor, serving them food at peculiar hours, and sought nourishment from them. Raymond describes how she would drink pus from the infected wound of one of her patients. She told Raymond, "As long as I have lived, I have never tasted sweeter or more exquisite food and drink." Similarly she sucked up the spittle from a dying woman with a gurgling chest. These episodes seemed a turning point; after this, she could no longer digest normal food. Her food intake was pus and Holy Communion. [7]

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    I stole your thunder! Don't ban me please!
    Never. I was remarking less in a "he stole my thunder" sense and more in a "great (brilliant, even--practically unstoppable in fact) minds think alike" sense.

Again, what I liked most about Stephen Fry's lecture is that he made a distinction between individual faithful Catholics and the institution, which I agree has struggled with corruption for pretty much its entire history.

(Then again I'm involved with Quakers who have always welcomed gay people as well as the Episcopal church that is ordaining gay bishops to the horror of much of the rest of the world church, so take this opinion with whatever size grain of salt you deem appropriate.)
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    epic

i like how the article is titled "vatican hit by gay sex scandal" as if it were assaulted by the dangerous sexual rapacity that lurks ~outside~ their pure commune. these poor victimized popes.

kubrick's eyes wide shut was actually inspired by events in the vatican. true story.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Almost on a par with Bill Clinton dont you think?

I always think its interesting how when scandals of this kind break in governments, social services, society at large etc. they arent considered evidence that the entire institution is corrupt, failing etc.

Could be that the Church is held to a higher standard or could be anti-catholicism at large.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8

That male celibacy thing is a joke. They should hand over power to the nuns.

"OMG I FEEEEEEEEEL SO INTENSELY ABOUT EVERYTHING OMG OMG OMG GET ME A XANAX" -Priam (ENFP impersonation)

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Almost on a par with Bill Clinton dont you think?

I always think its interesting how when scandals of this kind break in governments, social services, society at large etc. they arent considered evidence that the entire institution is corrupt, failing etc.

Could be that the Church is held to a higher standard or could be anti-catholicism at large.
    Bingo.

Any time you aspire to a code of conduct and fail to live up to it, the wolves come out and rip you to shreds. Your failure reassures them that you are on a fool's errand. What they don't get is that it's not about success or failure. It's about the aspiration.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

heart on fire

Balducci was allegedly paying 2,000 euros ($2,714) for each man he met, according to the Irish Times.
    Damn, how good can it possibly be?

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    Damn, how good can it possibly be?
    Sounds like a real cum to God moment. Har har har..

MBTI
    epic

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Sounds like a real cum to God moment. Har har har..
    ask and ye shall receive.