User Tag List

First 234

Results 31 to 39 of 39

  1. #31
    Head Pigeon Mad Hatter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    -1w sp/sx
    Socionics
    IOU Ni
    Posts
    1,028

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by teslashock View Post
    This is cute in an endearingly ignorant sense, but do you actually know what the definition of communism is?
    So you want to impose your personal view of what it is on us? You're trying to indoctrinate! This isn't freedom.

    FTR, I've been leeching off air for almost 26 years. I'm sure someone has to own it.
    IN SERIO FATVITAS.

    -τὸ γὰρ γράμμα ἀποκτέννει, τὸ δὲ πνεῦμα ζῳοποιεῖ-

  2. #32
    psicobolche tcda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5
    Posts
    1,292

    Default

    As a percentage of expenditures small businesses do, and it's not close.
    Well I don't know if that's true, but even if it is, it doesn't change the fact that the larger the corporation is, the more it can spend improving its productivity. I doubt many pro-capitalist eocnomists deny this to be honest, it seems obvious.

    Innovation is not limited to "research".
    You conveniently chose a very loose term.

    I prefer to stick to noting the fact that the higher your turnover and profits are, the more you can plough into improving productivity and overtaking your competitors.

    That's without even mentioning "economies of scale" or whatever we want to call it (I don't want to get caught up in semantics).

    What
    are you talking about? We were talking about competition, not capitalism, or do you believe the two are synonymous?
    I am talking about the fact that the era of free-market capitalism naturally and inevitably, by its own logic, dictated by the tends already mentioned, evolved into what Lenin called "monopoly capitalism", but which to those uninitiated with Leninism is best described as "oligopoly capitalism".
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

    "Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

    -Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

  3. #33
    Senior Member Chunes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Posts
    367

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Where is tap water free?
    Any public bathroom.
    "If you would convince a man that he does wrong, do right. But do not care to convince him. Men will believe what they see. Let them see."
    Thoreau

  4. #34
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tcda View Post
    Well I don't know if that's true, but even if it is, it doesn't change the fact that the larger the corporation is, the more it can spend improving its productivity. I doubt many pro-capitalist eocnomists deny this to be honest, it seems obvious.
    This is a really bad argument, and disingenuous as well. Percentages are more relevant than absolute numbers.

    There's a way to find out if my claim is true, read the financial statements of some companies. Though, based on what I've seen of your posts so far, I don't think you could make heads or tails of them.

    You conveniently chose a very loose term.

    I prefer to stick to noting the fact that the higher your turnover and profits are, the more you can plough into improving productivity and overtaking your competitors.

    That's without even mentioning "economies of scale" or whatever we want to call it (I don't want to get caught up in semantics).
    You are correct on profits, but incorrect on turnover. Turnover costs money, training new employees and the loss of productivity costs money, usually (but not in every case) resulting in a loss of profit. Of course, the magnitude of that loss depends on how easily that position can be filled. For example, it's easier to replace a hamburger flipper than an electrical engineer.

    I am talking about the fact that the era of free-market capitalism naturally and inevitably, by its own logic, dictated by the tends already mentioned, evolved into what Lenin called "monopoly capitalism", but which to those uninitiated with Leninism is best described as "oligopoly capitalism".
    Oh, so you're changing your argument. Got it. I'll remember this next time I get into a debate with you...if I bother.

    Good luck with your ever changing goal posts.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  5. #35
    psicobolche tcda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5
    Posts
    1,292

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Percentages are more relevant than absolute numbers.
    How do you work that out? Research and technological advance depend on absolute ability to invest in them not ont he relative amount you invest in them. If I can afford to invest $1bn per year and you $10,000 per year, I'll do get better results than you, regardless of the percentages of our profit they represent.

    And you ignored the point about "economies of scale".
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

    "Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

    -Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

  6. #36
    it's tea time! Walking Tourist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram
    7
    Posts
    1,452

    Default

    Me. Pay up or I'll send the bill collector after you.
    Haven't you noticed that meter that I installed weeks ago? It's time to do your meter reading and pay your bill. No personal checks. Send postal money orders or cashier's checks to (please check the bottom of your bill... the address is far too long and complicated to reproduce here).
    Oh, and that pavement that you've been walking on. There's a wear and tear charge for that, too. A separate payment for that, to the same address, will be gratefully accepted.
    Don't forget to place a stamp on the envelope for the correct amount of postage. If the payment arrives late for any reason, there is, of course, a late payment fee...
    love,
    Greed Not Need, Inc.


    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Hatter View Post
    FTR, I've been leeching off air for almost 26 years. I'm sure someone has to own it.
    Last edited by Walking Tourist; 03-06-2010 at 08:18 AM. Reason: add more stuff
    I'm a little teapot, short and stout. Here is my handle and here is my spout. Every time I steam up, I give a shout. Just tip me over and pour me out.

  7. #37
    almost half a doctor phoenix13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Posts
    1,313

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tcda View Post
    My new fave facebook group (which you won't find me on if you look because I haven't joined it):p

    Name:
    Don't support Communism - Say NO to tap water
    Category:Organisations - Political Organisations<br/>

    Description:Tap water is putting unfair pressure on the bottled water industry. How are entrepreneurs supposed to compete with practicly "free" (i.e. communist) tap water?

    It is a disgrace!
    ...
    There's so much wrong with that description that I'm assuming it's a joke. Water isn't communist. You don't compete with a government-owned commodity in a communist state. In America, the bottled water industry doesn't compete with the tap water industry, they compete with the water filtration industry.

    In American society, it's assumed that people have a "right" to water, which necessitates assured universal availability, which is what the government does with tap water (true, tap water isn't free, but the price you pay is mainly from showers and not the comparably small amount you drink/cook with). In other words, it is not a for-profit industry competing with other for-profit industries. There happens to be demand for water that is more filtered, and that's where the for-profit bottled water industry comes from. The two aren't really competing because they are not responding to the same forces of supply and demand.

    This reminds me of "Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb."

    YouTube - Dr. Strangelove - Precious Bodily Fluids

    "OMG I FEEEEEEEEEL SO INTENSELY ABOUT EVERYTHING OMG OMG OMG GET ME A XANAX" -Priam (ENFP impersonation)

  8. #38
    psicobolche tcda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5
    Posts
    1,292

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phoenix13 View Post
    There's so much wrong with that description that I'm assuming it's a joke.
    well assumed.
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

    "Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

    -Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

  9. #39
    it's tea time! Walking Tourist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram
    7
    Posts
    1,452

    Default

    Actually, the biggest user of water in a house is the toilet. I would guess that dishwashers use a lot of water, too.


    Quote Originally Posted by phoenix13 View Post
    (true, tap water isn't free, but the price you pay is mainly from showers and not the comparably small amount you drink/cook with).
    I'm a little teapot, short and stout. Here is my handle and here is my spout. Every time I steam up, I give a shout. Just tip me over and pour me out.

Similar Threads

  1. [INFP] I Don't Know How to Say No Any Better to an INFP, I Need Help!
    By Evolving Transparency in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-13-2015, 06:13 PM
  2. Trouble saying no to people
    By DreamBeliever in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 05-15-2015, 04:49 PM
  3. Never say no to the Panda
    By Atomic Fiend in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-16-2011, 11:54 PM
  4. Just say NO to Cocaine! Its tainted...
    By Sparrow in forum Health and Fitness
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 09-04-2010, 10:57 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO