User Tag List

12311 Last

heart on fire

Default Homeschooling: German Family Gets Political Asylum in U.S.

Oberon

As a homeschooler, I'm all for it. If I were raising my four kids in Germany, I would have done the same thing.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Evangelical Christians...

Oberon

What I would like to know is how the public-education model became the standard by which all other education is judged.

I'm convinced that it really doesn't work all that well as a method, if you're trying to turn children into capable, self-actuated adults.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    Evangelical Christians...
    First thing I homed in on. Basically, Christians didn't like a curriculum that that didn't have the Jesus stamp of approval, tried to keep their kids out of school.

Although Kraus' assertion that a parental couple can't educate their child as well as a school system, I don't think is terribly accurate. At least K-12.

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    What I would like to know is how the public-education model became the standard by which all other education is judged.

I'm convinced that it really doesn't work all that well as a method, if you're trying to turn children into capable, self-actuated adults.
    In terms of material, I don't really think you're wrong. It's a consistent way to make sure the general population is introduced to universally important material. However, I'm curious as to how the social development of home schooled children is. I'm not sure how that important piece of childhood is introduced outside of a public education setting. Do you think that's overstated, is it tough to manage, do you enroll your kids in public activities?

Sniffles

In Germany it began with Fitche's lectures on how to rebuild the nation in wake of their defeat at the hands of Napoleon.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Expand on this, if you will.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

It's hard for me to imagine countries not letting people homeschool. It's not like it has been a failure. Especially with the internet, home schooling gets easier every year. I was talking to a friend who homeschools (and is not an evangelical Christian) and they spend 3-4 hours on the computer a day and it tracks it and keeps working with the kids until they understand a topic, not until the class decides to move on.

I have a daughter that I put in sylvan tutoring because she had fallen so far behind but wasn't "as bad as some of the kids" (yes, we heard that) Some teachers even thought we were expecting too much from her because we both have engineering degrees. One year when a teacher said that she tested 12 percent on math vs. her peers.

I know homeschooling would help her but I don't want to take a chance of going all "P" and her not getting the support she needs. My husband also isn't for me doing it with my daughter so that nixes that anyway.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    First thing I homed in on. Basically, Christians didn't like a curriculum that that didn't have the Jesus stamp of approval, tried to keep their kids out of school.
    That's one perspective. Another might be that the parents didn't want their children in an educational setting that would actively undermine the childrens' faith.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post

Although Kraus' assertion that a parental couple can't educate their child as well as a school system, I don't think is terribly accurate. At least K-12.
    Yeah, Christians have gotten a bad rap recently, but there are many things they've done over the years that buck the norm and turn out to be a positive thing. I don't want to argue Christianity, people homeschool that aren't Christian anyway.

It's a bad way to go thinking that "only the government can do this correctly, let's fine people who try to do it themselves" - what a messed up way to do it.