User Tag List

First 3456715 Last

Sniffles

Yeah I had different opinions too and learned that arguing non-stop with idiots is a waste of time.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Perhaps... but if that's what you meant, I have nothing to worry about, as my children are nothing like that.

(Well, our 5-year-old sometimes still wants her mommy. Boy won't she be surprised when she gets voted off the island!
    I see creepy monkey children every so often- I used to more working sales *shudders*

do they get plenty of time at the public library? As a rural person, I hated summers because we lived too far from anywhere for me to really get access to information that wasn't in the ancient piles of National Geographics in the basement.

I thoroughly support children having enough information available to form their own worldviews!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

My usual response is something like "You know, their mother and I were concerned about that too. So once a week we take them into the bathroom, rough them up, curse at them, steal their lunch money and offer them drugs, and that seems to take care of it."

You see, the question is based on the assumption that the social experience offered by public schools is a positive influence. However, in my experience the socialization offered by public schools isn't necessarily a net positive.
    I'm gonna be harsh for a second:
    Why is your "usual response" any better than the same ignorance you are accusing others of in this thread?

My public high school wasn't great, in actuality it wasn't THAT great of a school and I was not challenged intellectually; but I never really got roughed up or abused, had my lunch money stolen, offered drugs, or anything of the sort. My kids go to public school and also have never experienced any of these things.

Any school setting will also have its weaknesses that need to be addressed. There are some environments that might seem more "wholesome" in external ways but have their own moral weaknesses under the surface. All that glitters is not necessarily gold.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I also think that being exposed to a diverse group of people and ideas is good for a child and promotes free thinking and breaks the apron strings, but that's just my opinion
    In my experience, public school was a very ripe arena for groupthink and mob dynamics. Social conformity was the rule, enforced by social sanctions for starters. Most children don't have the courage to buck the trend.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I'm gonna be harsh for a second:
    Why is your "usual response" any better than the same ignorance you are accusing others of in this thread?
    Because it's consistent with my experience.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    +1 From my own experience I could've easily gone on well without all that enforced "socialization" at public schools. :rolli:
    Me too!

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

In my experience, public school was a very ripe arena for groupthink and mob dynamics. Social conformity was the rule, enforced by social sanctions for starters. Most children don't have the courage to buck the trend.
    they are, but I think it makes a kid stronger if they DO learn to stand up for themselves... I don't know if I could have put up with all of the shit that's come my way since graduating if I hadn't had that experience

and despite being the lone liberal agnostic in my class full of "the religious right" in a very rural bible belt sense of the word, not the slick Ralph Reed sense, I was actually quite well liked!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

All American public school districts are different. Some rank right up there with Europe and parts of Asia.

We still don't have the same amount of education spending the countries with higher k-12 achievement do. And the money that is being spent, as underfunded as it is, isn't always put to the best use. Though it's better than having massive illiteracy and mental regression by keeping government funding out of education.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I thoroughly support children having enough information available to form their own worldviews!
    So... what do you think is a parent's role in fostering a child's worldview?

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

So... what do you think is a parent's role in fostering a child's worldview?
    In your case? I pray it's none.