First 123412 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    That's one perspective. Another might be that the parents didn't want their children in an educational setting that would actively undermine the childrens' faith.
    So, the best way to remedy this was to remove them from the academic setting altogether and devise a curriculum that didn't actively "undermine" their childrens' faith?

Seems to me that this presumes a weakness in personal faith, rather than a deficiency in curriculum.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Oh yeah, just look at the motivation. They're Evangelic fundamentalists, and they want to brainwash their children.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

That's one perspective. Another might be that the parents didn't want their children in an educational setting that would actively undermine the childrens' faith.
    Which they have brainwashed their children into. It's not like babies are born with a given faith.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

The schools brainwash the children every day if you consider teaching view points as brainwashing.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    The schools brainwash the children every day if you consider teaching view points as brainwashing.
    Faith is inherently not "just one POV". You can't be Christian and Muslim, but you can hold two different POV on a given subject.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Rather than knee jerk reaction to the word christian is there anything worthwhile about the situation you can discuss? What is the view on home schooling in Italy? Can you home school? Is it only evangelical Christians that do it?

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Active undermining of faith would definitely be a problem. The only responsible religious attitude for a public education facility is agnostic or indifference. If the family had problems because the children were being ridiculed and the teachers assaulting their faith, this is unacceptable. You really don't get much detail on the specifics of the offending curriculum, which makes me think that mom and dad didn't want them to know that Jesus did not, in fact, ride his pet triceratops to the market to pick up milk. I realize I'm jumping to a conclusion, but this is how it appears. But like the article says, Germans do seem to have a variety of educational resources.

Whenever someone wants to pull kids into homeschooling for curriculum conflicts with faith, I get the impression it's a disservice to the children and more about the parents' efforts to control and shelter. Homeschooling for other reasons seems a perfectly admirable and respectable institution otherwise.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    Whenever someone wants to pull kids into homeschooling for curriculum conflicts with faith, I get the impression it's a disservice to the children and more about the parents' efforts to control and shelter. Homeschooling for other reasons seems a perfectly admirable and respectable institution otherwise.
    Yeah, I agree with this.

As a continuum, responsible, academically-balanced homeschooling is certainly a legitimate enterprise. It's only when elements (say, biology and earth science) are purposely removed or disfigured to advance religious perspective that I have a problem with homeschooling, and it seems more an attempt to micromanage outlook, rather than as a means to encourage intellectual growth that wouldn't otherwise be available in a traditional classroom setting.

In that particular case, I'd go so far as to call homeschooling intentional neglect of the child's well-being.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    Expand on this, if you will.
    Well, my premise is that the best way to turn children into full-fledged adults is to apply adult influence on them, in an interactive setting that promotes critical thinking. Subjecting children to a setting that includes 25 or more of their peers and one adult, in which the children have no particular interest in the outcome and the adult has no power to enforce discipline, isn't the best way to meet that goal.

The structure of the school day and the school facility doesn't help either. Children are conditioned to transition from one activity to the next at the sound of a bell. Subjects are partitioned into specific areas and specific time blocks. Test criteria are standardized. Students learn to absorb information and regurgitate it on command. If one were trying to produce industrial workers conditioned to work on a fixed schedule, perform repetitive tasks, and not ask questions, this would be the way to do it.

My children attend school in which the student-to-teacher ratio is never more than 3:1. The teacher has a vested interest in the outcome, and full authority to enforce discipline... consequently there is zero classroom disruption. The students have both time and opportunity to engage with the teacher for additional instruction as needed. The students have the opportunity to work independently. Our curriculum is deliberately chosen to provide our children with what is essentially a survey course in Western Civilization. In addition to their math and science courses, they have the opportunity to read primary sources ranging from Hammurabi to Herodotus to Chaucer to Marx. Our school has an edition of Darwin's Origin of Species in its library and my high-schoolers have read it, which is a claim that most public schools in the US cannot make.

One observation that is routinely made of homeschooled children is that they are comfortable interacting with adults. This is in contrast to the public-school norm, in which children spend the majority of their time interacting with their peers, and are not generally comfortable talking with adults.

Homeschooling as a model simply works better than public schooling, IMHO. It's not for everyone, of course, and I'm not saying everyone should homeschool. If you can swing it, though, I believe you'll get better-educated children as a result.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Nicely said, Oberon. Sounds like you have a very balanced approach.