failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    I'm just thrilled you got out of Houston. Good for you.

Not bad. But isn't this overly sheltering? At some point, they're gonna have to leave the nest. Don't they need more preparedness for that?

But you don't seem to be instilling religious or social radicalism in them. So, you are free to carry on, under my watch.

I do so love INTPs. *sigh*

My INTJ son wonders what he's missed with highschool. I can never show him, although I know it's just crap. So, for this I feel bad. But it just can't be perfect either way. I wish highschool made it easier for you to pick and choose what you utilize them for, but they don't. You buy in whole hog in 9th grade or they make it nearly impossible to access the system. If you go in later, they are likely to place the kid in a lower grade just almost as a punishment, although they say it's necessary for their 'paperwork.'

And my kids start venturing out at 15-16, when they start driving, (and they get out before that) which I think is early enough. By then, they are so independent and darn trustworthy, that there just isn't much to worry about. That is when you can really start seeing the fruits of your labor.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

I was hoping there would be at least some homeschoolers that aren't devoutly religious.

But what other reason would parents that have no degrees or education experience have to keep their children out of those dirty secular immoral hell holes and under their academic wings?
    I home taught my son for a temporary period (5 months ish) but it would have been for a lot longer if i hadn't gotten him into a good school.
    I am not religious i'm agnostic or spiritual to a small extent.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by aphrodite-gone-awry View Post
    Indeed, usually the toxic, or abusive, families do not homeschool, but would prefer to rely on public education; or simply don't have the means or wherewithall to homeschool. This sounds doomsdayish and paranoid, and it's just not what i see in real life.
    1/ Can you prove your claim? Are you a sociologist?
    Can you prove they're not gratuitous affirmations?

2/ Subjectively, I have noticed the exact opposite pattern. Families who homeschool usually are the more toxic, the more likely to brainwash their children.
    Or rather, let's say that statistically the risk is very high, while it is least likely in public schools (because public teachers are regularly controlled and supervised by education professionals).
    And once again, with public schools, children will have the choice. They could compare more easily the difference between what society and their family want them to learn, and will eventually wonder why. And hence, it will develop their critical reasoning, it will help them to acquire intellectual autonomy more quickly, and more efficiently.
    And it works even if you disagree with so-called public school propaganda.

And I think that critical reasoning is what most family who choose homeschooling fear the most. They are afraid to see their values criticized in return, they do not want to take the risk.

Prove me I'm wrong!
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    Trust me, it's never enough. The issue remains as long as you're locked into a single and exclusive relationship. Unless you have no other choice (disease; geography), this is a very perverse situation.

It's very, very dangerous on the long run.
    Now we see what Blackmail! fears... families educating their children off the reservation. Why, who knows what the future holds when such children become decision-making adults?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by aphrodite-gone-awry View Post
    I guarantee you, my oldest, at 16, knows more than you knew when you graduated from your swank NY school.

Gratuitous affirmation.

You can't be sure of that.

In France, public schools system is usually far better than private schools.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

Oberon

I was hoping there would be at least some homeschoolers that aren't devoutly religious.

But what other reason would parents that have no degrees or education experience have to keep their children out of those dirty secular immoral hell holes and under their academic wings?
    From page 2 of this thread:

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    My children attend school in which the student-to-teacher ratio is never more than 3:1. The teacher has a vested interest in the outcome, and full authority to enforce discipline... consequently there is zero classroom disruption. The students have both time and opportunity to engage with the teacher for additional instruction as needed. The students have the opportunity to work independently. Our curriculum is deliberately chosen to provide our children with what is essentially a survey course in Western Civilization. In addition to their math and science courses, they have the opportunity to read primary sources ranging from Hammurabi to Herodotus to Chaucer to Marx. Our school has an edition of Darwin's Origin of Species in its library and my high-schoolers have read it, which is a claim that most public schools in the US cannot make.
    For the record, my B.A. is in English Literature, and my wife (who does most of the teaching) has an M.A. in Wildlife Management. Neither of us has any specialized training in education, but from what I remember of the education majors I knew in college, that's no particular handicap.

The short answer? We homeschool because by doing so we give our children a better education than our local public schools would do.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Neither of us has any specialized training in education, but from what I remember of the education majors I knew in college, that's no particular handicap.
    If you say so.

But I seriously doubt it.

I do not think the majority of parents have enough knowledge or training to teach every possible subject in college, and a fortiori in secondary schools.

Even in my family, it would be difficult (even if it's an intellectual bourgeois family: PhD everywhere, and always with Magna cum laude...).

The short answer? We homeschool because by doing so we give our children a better education than our local public schools would do.
    Define what a "better education" is, which priorities you have?

7w8 SCUxI

Oberon

Define what a "better education" is, which priorities you have...
    Oh, right. Well, the three that have started school are scoring over the 95th percentile in three-quarters of the categories on their CAT tests. They're getting exposed to deeper history, more writing assignments, and WAY more primary-source books than their public-school peers. They are learning to be self-directed in their study habits, and they have enough freedom and free time to devote more than one class period per week to an art project, say for example.

For me, that's what "better" means.

In addition, they are developing habits of thought and cultivating exposure to a body of literature that will probably put them at variance with their public-schooled peers on a great number of public-policy issues at some point down the road.

For me that's also "better," but I imagine that for you that's considerably "worse."

Oberon

I do not think the majority of parents have enough knowledge or training to teach every possible subject in college, and a fortiori in secondary schools.
    We do have universities in the US, Camembert. When the time comes, my children will have the option to attend.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Define what a "better education" is, which priorities you have?
    Well, if I might pitch in here, my home school evaluations usually put me several grades ahead and eventually even in college level when I was an adolescent.

Now I'm a candidate for having the best transcript of anyone attending my college. Even if I'm not the best, I'm surely in the highest tier.

So, by the standard measurements of the very conventional system my parents side-stepped, I am very well educated.
    Go to sleep, iguana.