User Tag List

First 81617181920 Last

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    It's not well funded. We spend less on education than many of the top ranking European and Asian countries. Sometimes you get what you pay for.
    I'm aware of that. I'm not talking about the American education on average. This actually fits into my point. We have a relatively unfunded and highly imbalanced education system. The good schools that actually get the support are accordingly rare. Most people in this country attend schools that are shit.

What you said comes across like a point in favor of home schooling in the US.

What? I feel like if there was something, you'd already mention it.

More personalized attention. That's one thing. But it's just your mom. Were you a special needs child?
    I would actually say the lack of attention, and the lack of pressure. The freedom of time and thought. The intellectual independence.
    You have to remember that this is during almost all of your formative years.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INTP

It's not well funded. We spend less on education than many of the top ranking European and Asian countries. Sometimes you get what you pay for.
    And sometimes you don't; the DC schools get the most money per pupil, and they're mostly terrible. There are certain resources required, but beyond that its mostly a matter of parental influence and the attitude of the child.

heart on fire

At least we had summers when I was a child. Three whole months away from formalized school. A chance to just live and be in your skin and be a child. Now they make summer break shorter and shorter.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I'm aware of that. I'm not talking about the American education on average. This actually fits into my point. We have a relatively unfunded and highly imbalanced education system. The good schools that actually get the support are accordingly rare. Most people in this country attend schools that are shit.

What you said comes across like a point in favor of home schooling in the US.
    Alabama public schools often get the same funding as New York ones, but those rural areas are just low-education zones, and have always been like that. It's not always the school/teacher's fault, sometimes it's the populous.

And Alabama is the last place where the average parent should opt for teaching their kids themselves. Do that in Connetitcut or New Hampshire.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    And sometimes you don't; the DC schools get the most money per pupil, and they're mostly terrible. There are certain resources required, but beyond that its mostly a matter of parental influence and the attitude of the child.
    It's getting better, in D.C.

High school graduation rates rise in D.C. - washingtonpost.com
    Reforms Help D.C. Test Scores Rise - washingtonpost.com
    Transfers From Private to Public Schools Rising in D.C. Area - washingtonpost.com
    County's Test Scores Rise in Every Grade - washingtonpost.com

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    Why do you think this, I'm curious. Being a union member doesn't keep you from being evaluated and having to meet basic standards.
    In LA Mummified, (Los Angeles Unified School District - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) for example, it is virtually impossible to fire a teacher. Teachers can be moved around, but are almost never fired. Ditto with NYC. In fact, I believe it is harder in NYC.

YouTube - Stupid in America

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Some public school districts are great. I went to one of the top ones in New York. A lot of people act like public education is a non-changing monolith that's exactly the same cross country.

I'm sure you can get great education by homeschooling, I'm sure you're a fine teacher. But there really isn't a substitute for being in the same room as people who have studied the subject for years and made it a big part of their lives.
    Yeh, yeh, I went to one of the top ones in a suburb of Houston too and I learned shit, yet graduated in the top % of my class. Why? Coz I knew how to play the game. BTW, haha, you guys think this is bum fuck Montana, I know, but the schools around here are pretty good, even IF the teenage pregnancy rate is skyrocketing.

I guarantee you, my oldest, at 16, knows more than you knew when you graduated from your swank NY school.

Aphrodite's Reasons To Homeschool

10) To spend quality time with your family and friends
    9) To spend quality time pursuing your various muses
    8) To have an organic flow to your day; no need to rush
    7) To prepare and eat healthy meals and snacks
    6) To always have an adult around (unless you are homeschooled and a parent is gone to work part-time, which is rare) to ask that spontaneous question of, and who gives a damn, "Hey, I want to figure out how to make something apparate someday," or "When do you think cars will be able to hover?"
    5) To learn for the love of learning (remember that?); to read because it's awesome; to write because you feel a creative urge, not all just because you have to day in and day out
    4) To be more available to play/hang out with friends, more flexible in schedule
    3) To not have to endure torture
    2) To become fully who you are meant to be

and my main reason for homeschooling........

1) To sleep in and not have to drive my kids to school at 7:30.

Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

Quote Originally Posted by aphrodite-gone-awry View Post
    you guys think this is bum fuck Montana, I know
    I know you know not all of us do. Looking at your profile "idyllic" more easily comes to mind...

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Fecal McAngry View Post
    I know you know not all of us do. Looking at your profile "idyllic" more easily comes to mind...
    yeah, i guess i should be careful what i say........
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    INTP

BTW, haha, you guys think this is bum fuck Montana, I know, but the schools around here are pretty good, even IF the teenage pregnancy rate is skyrocketing.
    I'm just thrilled you got out of Houston. Good for you.

Aphrodite's Reasons To Homeschool

10) To spend quality time with your family and friends
    9) To spend quality time pursuing your various muses
    8) To have an organic flow to your day; no need to rush
    7) To prepare and eat healthy meals and snacks
    6) To always have an adult around (unless you are homeschooled and a parent is gone to work part-time, which is rare) to ask that spontaneous question of, and who gives a damn, "Hey, I want to figure out how to make something apparate someday," or "When do you think cars will be able to hover?"
    5) To learn for the love of learning (remember that?); to read because it's awesome; to write because you feel a creative urge, not all just because you have to day in and day out
    4) To be more available to play/hang out with friends, more flexible in schedule
    3) To not have to endure torture
    2) To become fully who you are meant to be

and my main reason for homeschooling........

1) To sleep in and not have to drive my kids to school at 7:30.

Not bad. But isn't this overly sheltering? At some point, they're gonna have to leave the nest. Don't they need more preparedness for that?

But you don't seem to be instilling religious or social radicalism in them. So, you are free to carry on, under my watch.