User Tag List

First 7151617181927 Last

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by aphrodite-gone-awry View Post
    As long as you can read and do basic math, you can teach your own kids successfully.
    I guess. I'd question their intellectual development though.

You'll never get better playing the JV team. Exceptional teachers are usually more adept in their chosen subjects, than basic literacy.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    I was hoping there would be at least some homeschoolers that aren't devoutly religious.
    There are many. Some secular, others religious but liberal.

But what other reason would parents that have no degrees or education experience have to keep their children out of those dirty secular immoral hell holes and under their academic wings?
    My mom, in spite of not having much education herself, was convinced I'd learn more being homeschooled.

She also felt that public school brainwashed people. It wasn't a religion thing, but more like it brainwashed us to fit into social stereotypes, to think the USA is the most awesomest country in the world, etc..

And because she thought the environment was miserable. It's worth noting I was the fourth child. The first was always public schooled, the second up until his last few grades, the third started home schooling at 8, and I was always home schooled. See the pattern? She was increasingly put off by the system.

Occupations?
    For most of my life, my dad was a lumber mill worker. My mom, unemployed.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    It's not a question of propaganda, the issue is rather how you identify propaganda for what it really is, how you learn facing it.
    I was never taught anything about recognizing propaganda for what it is until I took Historical Methods in college.

And people really won't know good/subtle propaganda when they are presented with it unless they are taught its methods. So parents ought to provide their children with this sort of info. Public school, at least here in the USA, is unlikely to teach this level of critical thought.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    There are many. Some secular, others religious but liberal.
    A minority, still. I'd like to see the religious makeup of the average homeschooled family studied though, just to be sure.

Just appears to be lots of born-again, Protestant, evangelical, fundamentalist, WASP etc. in lots of homeschool environments. Especially the anti-modern medicine families.

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

I guess. I'd question their intellectual development though.

You'll never get better playing the JV team. Exceptional teachers are usually more adept in their chosen subjects, than basic literacy.

Have you been in schools lately? Teachers don't really have time to teach anything. They're too busy catching kids up who don't understand a concept, a math problem, or dealing with a kid who's acting out. My kids read the Great Books, understand Logic (via logic textbooks), take a language class at a local private school, and surf the web for anything they want to know more about, or don't have books about. (this is not a laundry list, it's just a spattering of a few of the classes we, and others, do) Parents usually know quite a bit about different things, given their life history and school experiences. Like I've mentioned, homeschooled kids have access to junior college classes at 15-16 years of age, and other classes are usually offered at private schools (specifically for homeschooled kids). There really is no reason a child cannot get a very high quality homeschooled education, even without a PhD parent.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

A minority, still. I'd like to see the religious makeup of the average homeschooled family studied though, just to be sure.

Just appears to be lots of born-again, Protestant, evangelical, fundamentalist, WASP etc. in lots of homeschool environments. Especially the anti-modern medicine families.
    Absolutely. Welcome to America.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    INTP

Have you been in schools lately? Teachers don't really have time to teach anything. They're too busy catching kids up who don't understand a concept, a math problem, or dealing with a kid who's acting out. My kids read the Great Books, understand Logic (via logic textbooks), take a language class at a local private school, and surf the web for anything they want to know more about, or don't have books about. (this is not a laundry list, it's just a spattering of a few of the classes we, and others, do) Parents usually know quite a bit about different things, given their life history and school experiences. Like I've mentioned, homeschooled kids have access to junior college classes at 15-16 years of age, and other classes are usually offered at private schools (specifically for homeschooled kids). There really is no reason a child cannot get a very high quality homeschooled education, even without a PhD parent.
    Some public school districts are great. I went to one of the top ones in New York. A lot of people act like public education is a non-changing monolith that's exactly the same cross country.

I'm sure you can get great education by homeschooling, I'm sure you're a fine teacher. But there really isn't a substitute for being in the same room as people who have studied the subject for years and made it a big part of their lives.

MBTI
    INTP

Absolutely. Welcome to rural America.
    Fixed

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Some public school districts are great. I went to one of the top ones in New York. A lot of people act like public education is a non-changing monolith that's exactly the same cross country.
    I'm well aware how much it varies. We fund schools with property taxes, and it's a terrible idea. There are some great public schools. They are, like all well funded things, a small minority.

I'm sure you can get great educations by homeschooling, I'm sure you're a fine teacher. But there really isn't a substitute for being in the same room as people who have studied the subject for years and made it a big part of their lives.
    And you know this how?
    Furthermore, what if there is something to be gotten out of home schooling that can't be substituted with public schooling?
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INTP

I'm well aware how much it varies. We fund schools with property taxes, and it's a terrible idea. There are some great public schools. They are, like all well funded things, a small minority.
    It's not well funded. We spend less on education than many of the top ranking European and Asian countries. Sometimes you get what you pay for.

Furthermore, what if there is something to be gotten out of home schooling that can't be substituted with public schooling?
    What? I feel like if there was something, you'd already have mentioned it.

More personalized attention. That's one thing. But it's just your mom. Were you a special needs child?