MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    That's not the issue.

The idea is to allow your children to have multiple choices, multiple introductions, multiple interactions around them. The one they see at home, with their family, and the one they see elsewhere. The two experiences, the two exposures are necessary: in fact they complete each other
    Well, why do make the assumption that the homeschooled child wouldn't have multiple choices, multiple introductions, and multiple interactions? When you homeschool, you aren't just at home, and with your family. You are home, and in the world, around friends, and people going about their daily routines; a more natural environment, I think, than an institution full of children.

But beware: family can be far more destructive than schools... especially when they feel the urge to have absolute control over the education of their children, over what they learn, over who they see, and so on.
    Ultra-protective families are very dangerous, act like barely breathable toxic environments: and the more protective, the more they feel good intended, the more issues their children will inevitably have.
    But the families who are toxic, will be toxic whether the children have homeschool freedoms or whether they go to public school. Indeed, usually the toxic, or abusive, families do not homeschool, but would prefer to rely on public education; or simply don't have the means or wherewithall to homeschool. This sounds doomsdayish and paranoid, and it's just not what i see in real life. Are you talking fundamentalists? Fundamentalists are scary no matter if they homeschool or not. Kids who go to school and are from fundie families are still going home every night and being indoctrinated into their particular family's values, which is just how it is. Parents have a right to teach their kids values they hold dear, whether you or I believe in those same values or not. Homeschooling is not the problem. Ignorance and religious righteousness are the problems.

You need balance. You need contact with the outside world. Parents have to learn to let their children go and progressively gain some autonomy.
    True. But 5 y.o. is not the right age to turn your kids over to a full day of institutionalized learning. Being in a typical public school 8 hours a day is not healthy for anyone, much less our precious and impressionable children. Perhaps if the educational system was totally overhauled and living environments (meaning gardens and plants and animals) were combined with innovative learning, were combined with healthy organic foods, were combined with no more than 4 hours per day, I could buy into the idea of a public system..........

Because one does not gain autonomy by being in school all day, one gains autonomy by nourishing his true spirit.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

For the people that homeschool: do you still teach evolution, in biology?

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Have you heard of Creationism by any chance?
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

There was nothing religious in my house. And I knew evolution like the back of my hand by the time I was 10.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by aphrodite-gone-awry View Post
    Have you heard of Creationism by any chance?
    I was hoping there would be at least some homeschoolers that aren't devoutly religious.

But what other reason would parents that have no degrees or education experience have to keep their children out of those dirty secular immoral hell holes and under their academic wings?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    There was nothing religious in my house. And I knew evolution like the back of my hand by the time I was 10.
    Ph.D parents? Or no?

If the parents are really well educated themselves, I could see a reason to just be like "fuck it I'll teach em myself".

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Ph.D parents? Or no?

If the parents are really well educated themselves, I could see a reason to just be like "fuck it I'll teach em myself".
    Surprise, surprise. Neither parent finished college.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Surprise, surprise. Neither parent finished college.
    Occupations?

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

I was hoping there would be at least some homeschoolers that aren't devoutly religious.

But what other reason would parents that have no degrees or education experience have to keep their children out of those dirty secular immoral hell holes and under their academic wings?
    Reasons? Hundreds of reasons! Thousands of reasons.

You can buy curriculums. As long as you can read and do basic math, you can teach your own kids successfully. It just takes a bit of creativity, good books or curriculums, and the kid does the rest. They are like sponges. There is no limit to what they can learn. No limit.

Magic didn't turn out so bad.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    Life Path 11

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    I think you didn't understand my point.

It's not a question of propaganda, the issue is rather how you identify propaganda for what it really is, how you learn facing it. And having the choice between multiple authority figures is fundamental for a balanced psychological development, and for the developement of critical reasoning. Paradoxally, public schools are vital should you want to understand the need to challenge authority sometimes, and why. When you first learn to challenge your teacher or the other pupils, you learn this lesson.

With homeschooling, you don't have this choice, since you can only trust one source of authority: your parents. And even with the best parents in the world, this is a very dangerous situation. Homeschooling is most of the time a pretense for parents who want to keep a total control over their children, who are unable or afraid to delegate their authority.
    Definitely agree 100%
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp