User Tag List

First 2101112131422 Last

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    +1 From my own experience I could've easily gone on well without all that enforced "socialization" at public schools. :rolli:
    +1

I agree. I didnt learn any real social skills at all in school. College was different though. At work and in many groups I tend to be rather social as well. Those skills only developed once I was out of that enviroment and was able to finally interact with different types of people.
    My high school job definately socialized me more than school ever did. At work I at least had the chance to prove myself worthy of respect as a human being. At school it is just who are your parents and your standing in the community, or at least that's what it was at my school.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

The variability between "fantastic" and "terrible" homeschool experiences seems to be so high that it's a difficult question in some ways.

Yes, many homeschoolers have experiences better than public school, and many are around the same....but when you get to the homes where very basic skills aren't being taught, or worse, misinforming children either out of religion or ignorance...I can also understand the people who say children have the right to a basic level of education. At some level I think denying your child an adequate education (and therefore holding them back from higher education) could be considered abuse.

*please note before getting upset that I think the vast majority of homeschoolers, including those posting here so far, aren't at this level...but some people in my experience have gotten close to that level, despite their very best intentions*

Perhaps if you had to get a "homeschooling license" the worst ones could be weeded out... Do they make homeschooled children do the standardized tests?
    -end of thread-

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    Perhaps if you had to get a "homeschooling license" the worst ones could be weeded out... Do they make homeschooled children do the standardized tests?
    What "they make" you do varies considerably from state to state. Here in North Carolina, which is one of the least-regulated states for homeschooling, homeschoolers are required to register their "schools" with the state government, and homeschool children are required to take the California Achievement Test at least once every two years, and that's about it.

We do the CAT test every year, just as a sanity check on how the kids are doing.

Theoretically homeschoolers are subject to state audit at the state's discretion, but we've never had this happen.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Im sure if that argument was used in other contexts, you'd be screaming like hell.
    I went to public school, where I did not fit in because I was too energetic, too curious, and did not behave like a girl should... I got in trouble every day and guess what, I got used to it!

the reason that I can blend in as well as I can today in social settings and while working is because I learned to in school... sure- it may not be acting true to myself, but guess what? I'm not going to get hired being "true to myself" in most work environments.

As much as I hated going when I went, and as much as I resent the fact that they took credit for any acheivement that I acheived, I benefited from attending a public school!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I went to public school, where I did not fit in because I was too energetic, too curious, and did not behave like a girl should... I got in trouble every day and guess what, I got used to it!
    I went to school and I was made to feel subhuman because I was very introverted and because my parents were from the lower end of that community's economic scale.

I got used to it too. I got used to the idea that I was human waste and that nothing I ever did would or could change that. I got used to the idea that teachers would find it amusing to watch and at times join in and that I'd be blamed for not figuring out how to fit in. I got used to distrusting people and hating myself.

Then I went to work and I was treated as a regular human being and it was a revelation. I went to college and that too was a revelation and I discovered there was little really wrong with me and then had to unlearn all that I had learned in public school about myself and others.

I am still not quite sure what this socialization of public school was supposed to teach me. Perhaps I was just too stupid to catch on. Oh well, no system is perfect. They did teach me to read and write. They tried to teach me math. So credit there were it is due.

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Public schools will show you the REAL world, and how to face it. This is a vital experience. Vital experience don't have to always be pleasant, but they're vital nonetheless.

Homeschooling is made:

(1) For people who have no other choice, no other options

(2) For people who are afraid of the real world. And I should rather mean, for PARENTS who are afraid of the real world, because their children will never know what they are missing.
    Being too protective with your children is most of time irresponsible, cowardly, and even sometimes conceals perverse motives, like being able to stay their sole and only authority figure, and hence, dominate them for life.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

to heart:

I took the message of "don't take shit from anyone- you're just as good as anyone else" away after I got in a fight with a teacher and we both went to the principal, who told him that HE was the one who was in the wrong

I suppose not everyone walks in with an attitude though...

I've been in plenty of situations in real life where people didn't really act much differently than in high school and used the lessons I learned to behave well instead of slapping someone deserving (that got you sent to the principal...)
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Senior Member sketchymcsketcherson's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP

I was home educated for my entire K-12 education.

Home education is a great idea if the parents have the time while raising a young K-6 child. Phonics, math fundamentals, grammar, etc. are all skills that can be best taught at such an age. If the parents are willing to give their child the one-on-one attention that a teacher cannot and thus will not provide in a classroom setting, there is nothing wrong with such a practice and the parents deserve commendation for being willing to do so.

I am very grateful for having parents that did their best with me when I was K-6. I learned to read, have near-perfect grammar, and can grasp mathematics. But the biggest benefit of being taught by my parents was that they taught me how to use my intuition. My dad taught me to think and ponder. I sometimes wonder if I would be the same person had I been raised in public education during elementary school.

I think around middle school (7/8 grade) a decision needs to be made as far as what the next educational step should be. Some children may benefit most from the public education at this point, while others could benefit from focused tutoring and education. But when high school hits, I think unless there is an outstanding reason for not doing so, the transfer to public education should be made.

Even as an introvert, I wish I had experienced the high school life. I wish I had received the crack of the whip that would have taught me better social skills and time management. It wasn't until I hit my sophomore (10) year that I really began to function socially, and that was simply because of my part-time job at the YMCA.

Home education is excellent for laying down a solid educational foundation for your child that he or she can use for the rest of their lives. But once you hit a certain point, it begins to work against the child (in most cases).
    For art to exist, for any sort of aesthetic activity to exist, a certain physiological precondition is indispensable: intoxication. -- Friedrich Nietzsche

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    The variability between "fantastic" and "terrible" homeschool experiences seems to be so high that it's a difficult question in some ways.
    Indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    What "they make" you do varies considerably from state to state. Here in North Carolina, which is one of the least-regulated states for homeschooling, homeschoolers are required to register their "schools" with the state government, and homeschool children are required to take the California Achievement Test at least once every two years, and that's about it.
    Unfortunately I've found home schooling comes back to nip me with some problem time and again. The system in this state seemed relatively lax, but in practical terms, it's harder than the rules make it look. For instance, I am now finding that most colleges don't know what to do with a home schooler. Their application processes tend to involve questions I can't answer, or material I don't have.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    Public schools will show you the REAL world, and how to face it. This is a vital experience. Vital experience don't have to always pleasant, but they're vital nonetheless.

Homeschooling is made:

(1) For people who have no other choice

(2) For people who are afraid of the real world. And I should rather mean, for PARENTS who are afraid of the real world, because their children will never know what they are missing.
    No, it's made only for those people. And the degree that you get the real world is different from one to the other, but not higher and lower. I had less direct experience as a home schooler, but I was also fed less propaganda. I have to make up for the lost experience, where as I find most public schoolers have to make up for the lost truth.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I had less direct experience as a home schooler, but I was also fed less propaganda. I have to make up for the lost experience, where as I find most public schoolers have to make up for the lost truth.
    That's well said.