First 8910111220 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    I still think that homeschooling is a better educational model than public schooling.
    Yeah. And if you can also work in teaching a trade, so much the better.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

I still think that homeschooling is a better educational model than public schooling.
    Mississippi almost has a 20% illiteracy rate. You really want these people teaching their children subjects like English?

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Mississippi almost has a 20% illiteracy rate. You really want these people teaching their children subjects like English?
    I said homeschooling is a better model. That doesn't make it everyone's best solution.

Some people are allergic to penicillin. That doesn't mean that penicillin isn't still a better antibacterial overall than, say, sulfanilamide.

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Some people are allergic to penicillin. That doesn't mean that penicillin isn't still a better antibacterial overall than, say, sulfanilamide.
    Interesting metaphor... A comparison between Homeschooling and antibacterial...

Tell me, what kind of awful bacterias are you afraid of, Oberon?
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

Oberon

Aw hell, he's here. There goes the thread.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    Interesting metaphor... A comparaison between Homeschooling and antibacterial...

Tell me, what kind of awful bacterias are you afraid of, Oberon?
    LOL

Cheers.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

As a home schooled student, I have very mixed feelings about this. It can be better, and it can just as well be worse.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Aw hell, he's here. There goes the thread.
    I've read the thread carefully.

It seems you're scared of something. So tell me, what kind of bacteria? You wish to protect your children, right?
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    As a home schooled student, I have very mixed feelings about this. It can be better, and it can just as well be worse.
    Can you explain a little more? I think it'd be valuable to hear a first-hand account from someone who's been through the system.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    Can you explain a little more? I think it'd be valuable to hear a first-hand account from someone who's been through the system.
    Okay, I'll try.

My ability to make comparisons is just as hindered as someone from public school, because just as they have never had my experience, I have never had theirs. But this is what I see.

At the very root of the conept of public school is standardization. The main thing that set homeschooling apart is the lack of that. As usual, that means a high amount of variability that can extend into the exceptionally positive range and into the exceptionally negative range.

The home schooled student's experience is extremely dependen on the nature of their family, mainly what their parents are like and then how many siblings they have and what they're like.

In my case, my father was largely uninvolved, so it comes down to my mom. She was protective, excessively caretaking, open-minded, non-disciplinary, and really uncommanding/uncontroling outside of the protection part. She made an effort to surround me with information, but does motivate me to do anything. The end result is good and bad.

The bad is that my learning was extremely imbalanced, because she didn't monitor it. Math, in which I had no interest, is something I became terribly underdeveloped in. Outside of academia, much suffered. I developed extremely few practical skills (can't swim, can't bike, learned to tie my shoes at 14), learned nothing about living in society, and did not socialize.

The good is that other than math, I flourished in all academic fields an was getting college level ratings at around 12. Furthermore, without my parents telling my what to think, or social exposure to condition me, I think my critical thinking skills and my open-minded developed. Incidentally, my English teacher said all of her most critically thinking students where home schooled. I guess I have to be a bit arrogant sounding to self-promote here, but I do think I just take less ideas for granted, I am less presumptuous, than most people, and I think my schooling has to do with that.

But this is where it's important to consider the variability of home schooling. As such a family, we naturally made contact with other such families, and some were very different. There is indeed a strong christian wing of the home schooling population, and those kids come out almost exactly opposite of me. They are disciplined and procedurally skilled liked soliders, but they could not thinking critically or digested a dissonant idea to save their lives.

It seems that, if there's any generalization I can make, it's that home schooled children will be specialized in some sense, and generally eccentric, for better or for worse.
    Go to sleep, iguana.