User Tag List

First 345

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    I would call 9-11 and the war in Afghanistan a cycle of violence. We spent hundreds of billions in a war in Iraq, and yet we never could be bothered to go after those who supposedly perpetrated the attack on our country. No matter how you sum it, it just doesn't add up.
    *Ahem* I was trying to be politically neutral - just pointing out that incentives are only a small part of the picture - and the difference between positive and negative incentives, as well as their application, are suscpetible to one's reference point. And Iraq really has nothing to do with 9/11 to start with, so I would agree on that (just don't know how that is part of the argument! ).

In regards to your OP, my only point is that revenge and retaliation do play a part in cost calculations - and they can be effectively used (ie: rule of law). However, as you point out, they are of conditional value.

MBTI
    OMNi

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    *Ahem* I was trying to be politically neutral - just pointing out that incentives are only a small part of the picture - and the difference between positive and negative incentives, as well as their application, are suscpetible to one's reference point. And Iraq really has nothing to do with 9/11 to start with, so I would agree on that (just don't know how that is part of the argument! ).

In regards to your OP, my only point is that revenge and retaliation do play a part in cost calculations - and they can be effectively used (ie: rule of law). However, as you point out, they are of conditional value.
    Yay!

1 American down, 299,999,999 to go.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    Yay!

1 American down, 299,999,999 to go.
    o_O I'm Canadian... I think I have always agreed with you in principle, however, so I don't think much changed in this thread (I really was only talking about why it exists, and why it is built into us...)

MBTI
    OMNi

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    o_O I'm Canadian... I think I have always agreed with you in principle, however, so I don't think much changed in this thread (I really was only talking about why it exists, and why it is built into us...)
    Spoil sport.