User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFP

Default What would you do, if in 2 years, all oil was used up?

As the topic says, what would you do? Consider this from the perspective it's Spring, and you just woke up in your bed.

Oberon

I would get up, shower, get in my car, stop down at the CITGO and top off the tank with synthetic gasoline made from coal using the Fischer–Tropsch process, and then I would drive on to work.

Honestly your time frame is a bit short. If we were that low on oil prices would be considerably higher, and we would have already begun the transition to coal-sourced motor fuels.

MBTI
    STFU

get on my bike and go to work, as usual.
    "All authority of any kind, especially in the field of thought and understanding, is destructive and evil. Leaders destroy the followers and the followers destroy the leaders. You have to be your own teacher and your own disciple. You have to question everything that man has accepted as valuable, as necessary."
    -
    J.Krishnamurti

MBTI
    INFP

That's assuming theres enough synthetic gasoline made in the world, that can provide fuelling for privately owned cars. Then theres the pricing issue, it would be ridiculously expensive for it will be high sought after, again assuming the facilities to produce it even work. That's also assuming the water purification installations can power their machines to purify and transport that water to all households. That's assuming people are coming to the job, instead of finding fresh drinking water.

Prices of oil are higher, it's just not seen in the price at the gasstations, but in the expenses of US militairy in the Middle East.

MBTI
    INFP

doublepost

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Well aren't there water fuelled cars? We can use those.

Pumpernickel
    MBTI
    ENTJ

I'd get into my electric car and drive off to work to continue my work on fuel cells.

Pumpernickel
    MBTI
    ENTJ

On another note, this reminds me something awesome I learned in my sustainable energy class last night...

Apparantly birds are causing a huge issue for sustainable energy... they are crapping on solar panels which are extremely difficult to clean, and they are constantly flying into wind mills and dying...

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

I wonder where the other 48 years of oil went.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Tantive View Post
    That's assuming theres enough synthetic gasoline made in the world, that can provide fuelling for privately owned cars. Then theres the pricing issue, it would be ridiculously expensive for it will be high sought after, again assuming the facilities to produce it even work. That's also assuming the water purification installations can power their machines to purify and transport that water to all households. That's assuming people are coming to the job, instead of finding fresh drinking water.
    Okay, take a couple of deep breaths and steady yourself, Tant.

First, supply of synthetic fuels will grow to meet demand, just as it has done with liquid petroleum-based fuels. Where there is a market, supply will grow to meet it.

Second, yes, there is enough coal in the world to keep us driving for many years.

Third, Fischer–Tropsch Synthesis is a known process that has been used on a national scale in the past. It has been proven to work and is well understood... it's not widely used right now because liquid petroleum fuels are cheaper. If that changes, you'll see synthetic fuels become widespread within, say, a decade.

Fourth, when and if the coal gives out, Fischer–Tropsch can be adapted to any kind of organic material... animal offal, wood chips, cornstalks, paper and plastic garbage, even human sewage.

The cost of biofuels will be high enough that some stationary processes will transition to electrical power rather than burning coal or synthetic fuel oil as they presently do. The extra electrical power will be provided by the new nuclear power plants that are already in the works.

Yes, we will have problems to solve and we will work through them, but I assure you, the sky is not falling.