User Tag List

123 Last

heart on fire

Default USA: Woman, 61, arrested for asking ‘why'

Woman, 61, arrested for asking ‘why'

Four women, two of them well into middle age, were discussing funeral plans for a friend when an Atlanta police officer told them to move.

Three did but one asked “why.” In answer to her question, Minnie Carey, then 61, was handcuffed, put into a police wagon and taken to jail, where she was held for nine hours...

Carey met three friends on the sidewalk outside the Boulevard Lotto convenience store mid-afternoon last March 26, and for a few moments they talked about upcoming services for a friend who had died after she was hit by a car in front of the store where they were standing.

Dolson and his partner pulled up and told the four women to “move it.”

All agreed that the women were not blocking the sidewalk and that the women were the only people on the sidewalk.

Three women started walking away but Carey didn’t, asking “why” instead.

An account given by Dolson's partner, Jamie Nelson, was that Carey “yelled ‘why’ with a loud manner and refused to leave after we instructed her several times to do so.”

Carey and one of the women with her, 56-year-old Diane Ward, told the AJC there was no shouting.

All the same, Dolson’s answer to Carey’s question was “because I said so,” according to the file.

“I’m a citizen and I’m a taxpayer and I have a right to be here. I’m merely trying to find out about a sister’s funeral,” Carey responded, according to records.

That's when Carey was handcuffed, her hands behind her back, and put into the back of the patrol car – the only time she has been arrested in the 15 years she has lived in Atlanta.

Forty-five minutes later she was moved to a police van with the doors closed despite the heat, where she waited another 45 minutes with others accused of violating city ordinances...

(more at link)

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Sounds like officers are sampling confiscated crack.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    Sounds like officers are sampling confiscated crack.
    Alright, that's enough out of you Cafe...

Goddamn, women are acting up these days...

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

And people wonder why there's a popular saying that goes something like this:

FUCK THE PO-LICE!
    Ti = 19 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Te = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ne = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fi = 15 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Si = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ni = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Se = 11[][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fe = 0

-----------------
    Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
    Man got to sit and wonder why, why, why;
    Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
    Man got to tell himself he understand

Oberon

Her actual offense was a violation of modern common law known as 'contempt of cop.' Punishments for this misdemeanor can vary from a brief cuffing-and-stuffing, through being tased, pepper-sprayed and charged with being an accessory to loitering, up to and including summary execution (depending on circumstances).

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Alright, that's enough out of you Cafe...

Goddamn, women are acting up these days...
    Don't tase me, bro! :eek:
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Her actual offense was a violation of modern common law known as 'contempt of cop.' Punishments for this misdemeanor can vary from a brief cuffing-and-stuffing, through being tased, pepper-sprayed and charged with being an accessory to loitering, up to and including summary execution (depending on circumstances).
    Agreed.

Why bother? Sounds like he asked her several times to move, and she didn't comply. Sucks that she was arrested and taken into custody for 9 hours, but failing to comply with direct police orders lands you a corresponding penal response.

Avoidable. Silly.

Oberon

You should be aware, I'm on the woman's side. If she wasn't committing a crime and there wasn't some sort of onging emergency or public safety issue, the cop was out of line.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    You should be aware, I'm on the woman's side. If she wasn't committing a crime and there wasn't some sort of onging emergency or public safety issue, the cop was out of line.
    I gathered that. I was agreeing with your common law statement.

I think both sides are pretty stupid.