User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    My question to anyone else who noticed, does the realization of inborn bias subtract from the incident itself? Or, are you unable to appropriately glean exactly what transpired as a result of the editorializing?
    Depends on the article.

In this case we are dealing solely with people's memories, which makes it very difficult. Along with the fact that the police often aren't allowed to give their opinions on these matters, and it's sensationalist nature playing off prejudice against the police for higher ratings.

In the case of statistics news, you can sometimes glean out the exact numbers of the study and where they came from. In science, the exact result of the experiment. In politics, the whole speech/statement and as much of it's context as you can reasonably acquire. It often involves circumventing the news to do this though.

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram

The article doesn't specify when this incident occurred. If the incident occurred at the end of the month, the cops could have been trying to make some sort of arrest quota. Apparently, Atlanta must be a very safe city because the cops didn't seem to be busy investigating real crimes. They had loads of free time available for this sort of nonsense. Therefore, the cops are stupid.:steam:
    Last edited by Walking Tourist; 03-02-2010 at 02:17 PM. Reason: add more words so that I could insult the cops properly
    I'm a little teapot, short and stout. Here is my handle and here is my spout. Every time I steam up, I give a shout. Just tip me over and pour me out.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1

Your tax dollars at work folks!

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Well, policemen are enemies of the citizens. That's kind of obvious.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Well, policemen are enemies of the citizens. That's kind of obvious.
    You're being silly, of course, but you've hit on the heart of the matter.

Policemen are the friends of citizens, but the avowed enemies of those who are up to no good. Whether or not the policeman is your friend depends on which category you fall into in the officer's mind... which in turn depends on many things. Depending on the cop, it may require you to step lively when you're told to 'move along.'

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Policemen are the friends of citizens, but the avowed enemies of those who are up to no good. Whether or not the policeman is your friend depends on which category you fall into in the officer's mind... which in turn depends on many things. Depending on the cop, it may require you to step lively when you're told to 'move along.'
    Sounds about right.

Some policemen are corrupt and abusive, sure, and there are obvious problems with this. Other policemen are dicks, sure, but that doesn't mean they are doing anything wrong. They aren't in customer services after all.

I'm not sure what to make of the policeman's previous abuse report number. Assuming it's true, you'd expect, working as a policemen, to get complaints from anyone who strongly disagrees with you and has a tendency to file complaints. So the number could be reasonable, much like how service staff get complaints occasionally regardless of their performance.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    You're being silly, of course, but you've hit on the heart of the matter.

MMM...I just feel like they're my enemies. I've never been protected by them but I've been harassed many times (without reason, never committed a crimen and didn't even partecipate to strikes and the like). Same is true for many people I know.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I've never been protected by them
    I find that hard to believe.

Never directly protected by them, sure.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by erm View Post
    I find that hard to believe.

Never directly protected by them, sure.
    Yes, it's true, they might have acted as a warranty against potential attacks, deterring criminals.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Oberon

MMM...I just feel like they're my enemies. I've never been protected by them but I've been harassed many times (without reason, never committed a crimen and didn't even partecipate to strikes and the like). Same is true for many people I know.
    Well of course. There's something about you and your friends that makes you seem shady to the cops. Because you seem shady, you fall into the "criminal" category and they treat you accordingly.

There's no justice in that.