User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I have to wonder how many 5-10 year olds are going to get sent to juvie now if asking a cop why is considered contempt
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    I gathered that. I was agreeing with your common law statement.

I think both sides are pretty stupid.
    Stupid is one thing. Illegal and morally wrong is something else.

We can't allow this kind of abuse of power to happen even to the stupid if we want to be free to stand harmlessly on a public sidewalk ourselves.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    Stupid is one thing. Illegal and morally wrong is something else.

We can't allow this kind of abuse of power to happen even to the stupid if we want to be free to stand harmlessly on a public sidewalk ourselves.
    I don't entirely disagree with that.

I wonder how frequently something like this happens, given the popularity of the event in question.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    I don't entirely disagree with that.

I wonder how frequently something like this happens, given the popularity of the event in question making news.
    I don't know, but I do know that several years ago while I was attending community college my instructor got a speeding ticket on his way to work. He was late to class and it inspired a discussion about law enforcement. There were several black young men in my class and all of them believed that having your vehicle searched was standard procedure for a traffic stop. They were as shocked to learn that it wasn't as I was to learn that they were the victims of illegal search as a matter of course.

I've had one bad experience with the police myself, so I know it all depends on how they perceive you and how powerless they consider you. Being a small, plain-looking, working class white woman, I imagine that there is a lot more bad stuff going on than I am directly aware of because I don't fit a negative profile under normal circumstances.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    I don't know, but I do know that several years ago while I was attending community college my instructor got a speeding ticket on his way to work. He was late to class and it inspired a discussion about law enforcement. There were several black young men in my class and all of them believed that having your vehicle searched was standard procedure for a traffic stop. They were as shocked to learn that it wasn't as I was to learn that they were the victims of illegal search as a matter of course.

I've had one bad experience with the police myself, so I know it all depends on how they perceive you and how powerless they consider you. Being a small, plain-looking, working class white woman, I imagine that there is a lot more bad stuff going on than I am directly aware of because I don't fit a negative profile under normal circumstances.
    You make some good points. While I hope this type of profiling is the exception to the rule, I have to wonder just how prevalent this "demographic targeting" really is.

Still, it could be the same cognitive priniciple that has one remember the single instance of bad customer service, rather than the many times they received appropriate/positive service.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

What are the races of the people involved?

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    What are the races of the people involved?
    And what are the races of the officers?
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    And what are the races of the officers?
    The race of most cops is blue.
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I read the title of the article and immediately guessed it would be false. I know most news is 50% falsehoods, 50% exaggeration, quoting out of context, not even giving the context, and pure opinion, but when it involves the police it becomes even more extreme. Almost as extreme as science and statistics news.

It's one of those cases where the title is denied by the article itself, which sets off the alarms on its own.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Quote Originally Posted by erm View Post
    I read the title of the article and immediately knew it would be false. I know most news is 50% falsehoods, 50% exaggeration, quoting out of context, not even giving the context, and pure opinion, but when it involves the police it becomes even more extreme. Almost as extreme as science and statistics news.

It's one of those articles where the title is denied by the article itself, which sets off the alarms anyway.
    The article itself is also written in an emotionally slanted fashion.

My question to anyone else who noticed, does the realization of inborn bias subtract from the incident itself? Or, are you unable to appropriately glean exactly what transpired as a result of the editorializing?

Or, conversely, does it not bother you at all?