User Tag List

First 1234 Last

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by r.a View Post
    i have a theory that every single generation thinks its the apocalypse, and that this trend has been going on for thousands of years.
    Hey, but we're alive!

Oh my God! Maybe if we stop now, it will actually happen!
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

I will always wonder why so many Americans deny Anthropogenic global warming.

It's them against the rest of the world, against an overwhelming majority of scientists and climatologists (97%&+).

It's the only country in the world where you have a significant percentage of people who actively deny that obvious fact. And curiously, it seems correlated with people who vote for Republicans (another proof it's not a scientific issue for them, but a question of ideology).

At least, we can say these people are courageous, that they're not afraid to look ridicule. They are foolish, arrogant, stubborn, incredibly ignorant, they are manipulated by their industrial lobby, but I admire their bravery. Brave little soldiers.

It's a perfect example of social alienation, when people eventually defend a cause that is not their own, that is even harmful for them and their family. Marx described this phenomena very well.

---

America is so full of surprises, sometimes.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Hey, but we're alive!
    For now...

Oh my God! Maybe if we stop now, it will actually happen!
    Stop, don't stop, it doesn't matter. The end is nigh. NIGH I SAY!

MBTI
    STFU

Quote Originally Posted by xNTP View Post
    Stop, don't stop, it doesn't matter. The end is nigh. NIGH I SAY!
    exactly. live your lives.

i think alternative energy is great. i don't own a car so my life is less dependent on oil. i think the rest of the world needs to upgrayyde their shit. that would be fantastic. also, i think pollution is terrible and shouldn't be happening in the first place. so lets nip that one in the bud, too.

i just don't subscribe to alarmist belief systems that i am not personally sold on.
    "All authority of any kind, especially in the field of thought and understanding, is destructive and evil. Leaders destroy the followers and the followers destroy the leaders. You have to be your own teacher and your own disciple. You have to question everything that man has accepted as valuable, as necessary."
    -
    J.Krishnamurti

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    I will always wonder why so many Americans deny Anthropogenic global warming.

It's them against the rest of the world, against an overwhelming majority of scientists and climatologists (97%&+).

It's the only country in the world where you have a significant percentage of people who actively deny that obvious fact.
    What are the sources for your statistics?

Obviously consensus is relevant only from a political perspective, still, I'm curious.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by Fecal McAngry View Post
    What are the sources for your statistics?
    Have you ever read a scientific journal?
    Have you ever been into the biology department of your closest university, and follow lectures there?

Just wondering.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

Have you ever read a scientific journal?
    Have you ever been into the biology department of your closest university, and follow lectures there?

Just wondering.
    Yes, yes, no. What are your sources? Links?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by Fecal McAngry View Post
    Yes, yes, no. What are your sources? Links?
    That's exactly what I said.

Just check ANY scientific journal. The consensus is sooo overwhelming you can't miss it.

---

So let me ask you once again: have you ever read a scientific journal, at least, on a regular basis?

---

What's odd with America is the way the deeply religious masses despise their academia, even if it's the most extraordinary academia in the world. It's two different worlds, two different social communities, and they live separately, in the same country but not in the same areas.

For instance 85% of the members of the National Academy of Science are Atheists. And when you count most American professors who teach in campus, you have something like 65-70% of Atheists in hard science departments.

It's a different world. A different America. And we see this dichotomy happening right here.

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    STFU

Just check ANY scientific journal. The consensus is sooo overwhelming you can't miss it.

---

So let me ask you once again: have you ever read a scientific journal, at least, on a regular basis?

---

What's odd with America is the way the deeply religious masses despise their academia, even if it's the most extraordinary academia in the world. It's two different worlds, two different social communities, and they live separately, in the same country but not in the same areas.

For instance 85% of the members of the National Academy of Science are Atheists. And when you count most American professors who teach in campus, you have something like 65-70% of Atheists in hard science departments.

It's a different world. A different America. And we see this dichotomy happening right here.
    who brought up God?
    "All authority of any kind, especially in the field of thought and understanding, is destructive and evil. Leaders destroy the followers and the followers destroy the leaders. You have to be your own teacher and your own disciple. You have to question everything that man has accepted as valuable, as necessary."
    -
    J.Krishnamurti

I didn't ask for your unscientific, subjective opinion. I want something like this:

http://environment.yale.edu/uploads/...eliefs2010.pdf

The more recent, the better, and it would be interesting to compare countries and to see how far belief in AGW has fallen over the past year or so--as it has, according to polls/studies I've read--pretty much across the board.