User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Because global warming could potentially make the planet uninhabitable for human life, but we can find ways to live without oil
    the earth has been warm before. (Dino era)
    humans have lived without oil. (pre-20th century)

Problem is that we're basically going to be living with a lot of stuff underwater and an entirely electrical grid running off of nuclear fission and maybe even nuclear fusion power....

Gorebot Speaks! The INTP has heard our cries and speaks from on high! We doubters are earth-hating lunatics!

Op-Ed Contributor - We Can’t Wish Away Climate Change - NYTimes.com

MBTI
    STFU

Quote Originally Posted by Fecal McAngry View Post
    Gorebot Speaks! The INTP has heard our cries and speaks from on high! We doubters are earth-hating lunatics!

Op-Ed Contributor - We Canít Wish Away Climate Change - NYTimes.com
    alrighty then! took him fuckin long enough to come up with a careful response, but there it is. i guess when you are out there battling the manbearpig like its your job, you don't really have much time for press conferences or interviews.
    "All authority of any kind, especially in the field of thought and understanding, is destructive and evil. Leaders destroy the followers and the followers destroy the leaders. You have to be your own teacher and your own disciple. You have to question everything that man has accepted as valuable, as necessary."
    -
    J.Krishnamurti

Oberon

I don't like the way the left conflates skepticism on global warming with skepticism on anthropogenic global warming. They're really two different questions, with much different standards of proof.

Do I believe in climate change? Sure. "Climate" is by definition the behavior of an absurdly complex system with myriad variable inputs over time. We should be astonished by the prospect of a static climate, not a changing one.

Do I believe that humans have caused climate change? It's an interesting question, but I'm not convinced. The very complexity that makes a stable climate unlikely also makes climate excruciatingly difficult to predict. There are processes that buffer the increase of CO2 in the atmosphere as well as the presence of other greenhouse gases, and I am by no means certain that these processes, not to mention climate as a whole, are fully understood.

Do I think that the issue of climate change has been hijacked by politicians who would use it to co-opt the public's time, money, and support? You bet your sweet ass I do. The most strident advocates on this issue are not scientists, but the chattering classes, particularly on the left.

Do I think we have enough evidence to move forward with completely retooling our economy, costing a great many people a life-changing amount of time, effort, and money? Hell no. The fact that the discussion is more political than scientific at this point is a HUGE red flag to me.

MBTI
    STFU

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    I don't like the way the left conflates skepticism on global warming with skepticism on anthropogenic global warming. They're really two different questions, with much different standards of proof.

Do I believe in climate change? Sure. "Climate" is by definition the behavior of an absurdly complex system with myriad variable inputs over time. We should be astonished by the prospect of a static climate, not a changing one.

Do I believe that humans have caused climate change? It's an interesting question, but I'm not convinced. The very complexity that makes a stable climate unlikely also makes climate excruciatingly difficult to predict. There are processes that buffer the increase of CO2 in the atmosphere as well as the presence of other greenhouse gases, and I am by no means certain that these processes, not to mention climate as a whole, are fully understood.

Do I think that the issue of climate change has been hijacked by politicians who would use it to co-opt the public's time, money, and support? You bet your sweet ass I do. The most strident advocates on this issue are not scientists, but the chattering classes, particularly on the left.

Do I think we have enough evidence to move forward with completely retooling our economy, costing a great many people a life-changing amount of time, effort, and money? Hell no. The fact that the discussion is more political than scientific at this point is a HUGE red flag to me.
    what he said
    "All authority of any kind, especially in the field of thought and understanding, is destructive and evil. Leaders destroy the followers and the followers destroy the leaders. You have to be your own teacher and your own disciple. You have to question everything that man has accepted as valuable, as necessary."
    -
    J.Krishnamurti

MBTI
    INTP

As far as I am concerned its too cold and there has been too much snow to plow out to invest concern into global warming...

Oberon

Well, honestly, one year's weather, cold or hot, does not climate change make. Climate change happens almost on a geological time scale. That's why when the climatemongers claim a hot summer indicates global warming, the claim bears no more weight than a denier citing this winter's heavy snowfall as evidence against.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

We're all gonna die.

MBTI
    STFU

i have a theory that every single generation thinks its the apocalypse, and that this trend has been going on for thousands of years.
    -
    J.Krishnamurti

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by r.a View Post
    i have a theory that every single generation thinks its the apocalypse, and that this trend has been going on for thousands of years.
    One of them will eventually be right.