User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: The Cola Wars

Default The Cola Wars

Who won the Cola wars and are they still going on? I've seen books online saying that Pepsi won, written in the eighties, I've seen later DVDs saying that Coke won definitively.

I've seen some funny books about Coke and Pepsi attacking each other Pepsi using Coke's historical record including art prints of SA stormtroopers drinking Coke and Coke releasing stories about Pepsi being the most popular drink with US repeat offender prisoners but all like third party and deniable.

I think Coke's got a near perfect monopoly in NI and probably the UK, Pepsi is actually distributed by C&C here which are a big softdrink firm but who generally supply cheapy fizzy crap as stores own or yellow pack budget alternatives to labelled goods. This could just be the company outsourcing supply I dont know.

I'm interested in this because I think these two could easily move into monopolising water supply now that water has been effectively commodified in the parts of the world were public water supply was good enough for people not to see the point initially. Although there are some quasi public or publically subsidised French firms in the EU who are rushing to control water supplies in the developing world to off set any US monopoly.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Don't confuse Coke controlling water supplies with the US controlling water supplies. Coke has sworn no allegiance to the US.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Don't confuse Coke controlling water supplies with the US controlling water supplies. Coke has sworn no allegiance to the US.
    I think you're right, though the french dont see it that way and the national angle remains strong in the US its probably just anti-Americanism though.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

I don't know, but Pepsi has Mountain Dew, Mountain Dew Voltage, and Mountain Dew Baja Blast, all of which are nectar from the gods.
    Ti = 19 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Te = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ne = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fi = 15 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Si = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ni = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Se = 11[][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fe = 0

-----------------
    Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
    Man got to sit and wonder why, why, why;
    Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
    Man got to tell himself he understand

MBTI
    ENTP

You are of course assuming it's over. Last I heard it was a Coke skewed market.... that was in the UK by one of their marketing directors (and also a few years ago), we were talking globally.

He said the last holding out market was Scotland, which next bigest drink was Irun Brew, they tend to keep it quiet because the Scots would flip the market share just to be contrary if they knew... I can see a campaign to keep Scottish soft drinks Scottish

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbell View Post
    You are of course assuming it's over. Last I heard it was a Coke skewed market.... that was in the UK by one of their marketing directors (and also a few years ago), we were talking globally.

He said the last holding out market was Scotland, which next bigest drink was Irun Brew, they tend to keep it quiet because the Scots would flip the market share just to be contrary if they knew... I can see a campaign to keep Scottish soft drinks Scottish
    Well Irn Bru is made by a family recipe the exact ingredients of which are known to a select few but the production and distribution rights are shared by pepsi co. and their UK distributors Candrel and Cochrane.

The Scots would be more likely to support Pepsi over Coca Cola I'd bet, I remember the taste of a new generation ad campaign, the pepsi challenge and some of the movie sponsorship battles in the ninties before Pepsi more or less gave up on the UK and it was always the more popular in NI.

People were surprised when Coca Cola made such a come back, especially on the grounds of taste and there had been the tragic tab clear which everyone hated and I remember couldnt be given away (I worked as a shelf stacker back then and had to put it out and price it down week after week).

I only ever saw one ad for Mountain Dew here and to be honest now soft drinks advertising is like alcohol advertising, I dont see it, when I was growing up Guinness, Coca Cola and Pepsi could be relied upon to put out good ads that people would remember not so anymore.

The Pepsi change the script ad were they tried to get everyone to accept a blue Santa, got the spice girls involved at the low point of their popularity was the beginning of it but by then Coca Cola had pegged enough of the corporate water and soda machine contracts to control the market in the UK (Coca Cola never out sourced distribution the way that Pepsi did).

I loved the ad of the guy getting a can of pepsi and the alien from the third Aliens movie coming and robbing it from him, my favourite ever but they banned it in the UK. Damnit. Only saw it twice. Although the one of the guy on a motor bike on the dry, dusty road who asks the two old boys for a pepsi and they only have "cola" and he takes off down the road instead was a close second.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Pepsi regularly wins taste tests vs. Coca-Cola, but they also have to advertise much more by percentage of revenue due to Coca-Cola's market dominance. This has led to people in some African countries to believe that Pepsi is some type of local answer to Coca-Cola. Interestingly, New Coke was beating both Coca-Cola and Pepsi in taste tests before it received its big launch, but there was a popular outcry against it/for "Coca-Cola Classic," especially in the South.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ENTP

Coke realeased a water brand that had issues I thin c.2003? They ahd to recall the lot.

Pepsi tastes sweeter thats why it wins. Coke actualy has more small bubbles that are tightly packed... all other colas bubble distribution are wider appart... hence it's the fizz that realy seperates them. I only drink Coke when hung over - and it works.... but generally I avoice fizzy drinks.

I was talking about the individual brands not the corporate portfolio - although at a guess without knowing all that much Coke would still win

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbell View Post
    Coke realeased a water brand that had issues I thin c.2003? They ahd to recall the lot.
    Dasani had a farce of a rollout in the UK.

Dasani - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pepsi tastes sweeter thats why it wins. Coke actualy has more small bubbles that are tightly packed... all other colas bubble distribution are wider appart... hence it's the fizz that realy seperates them. I only drink Coke when hung over - and it works.... but generally I avoice fizzy drinks.
    Yes, Pepsi has two more grams of sugar per 12 oz. can. I haven't seen any actual documentation that Coke is fizzier, though. People regularly describe both colas as fizzier than the other.

I was talking about the individual brands not the corporate portfolio - although at a guess without knowing all that much Coke would still win
    Pepsi was actually being bought more often at shops in the early-1980s, although Coca-Cola still dominated at soda fountains. Pepsi's more energetic advertising helped, although the failed New Coke campaign ended up positive for Coca-Cola Co.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ENTP

Coke is sold at McDonald's I'd guess it was the number 1 distribution.

Dasani was the brand I was thinking off....