User Tag List

First 123 Last

Thread: The Cola Wars

I live in an area that still distributes a fair share of Coke with real sugar in it (not high fructose corn syrup). So I'd vote for Coke.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    I live in an area that still distributes a fair share of Coke with real sugar in it (not high fructose corn syrup). So I'd vote for Coke.
    I really don't drink soda anymore, but sugar-sweetened Coke and Pepsi are readily available in the Los Angeles area, which is nice. I always liked root beer. I miss Pennsylvania Dutch Birch Beer. That was the shit.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Root Beer is pretty good too, I agree.. No caffiene either (usually?), which is sometimes a plus.

But yeah, SoCal probably gets as much Mexican (real sugar) Coke as Texas.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Pepsi regularly wins taste tests vs. Coca-Cola, but they also have to advertise much more by percentage of revenue due to Coca-Cola's market dominance. This has led to people in some African countries to believe that Pepsi is some type of local answer to Coca-Cola. Interestingly, New Coke was beating both Coca-Cola and Pepsi in taste tests before it received its big launch, but there was a popular outcry against it/for "Coca-Cola Classic," especially in the South.
    Pepsi wins taste tests that are conducted by comparing one sip of Pepsi to one sip of Coke, with the taste of one occurring immediately after the taste of another. This only shows that one sip of Pepsi tastes better than one sip of Coke, which makes sense considering that Pepsi is indeed sweeter than Coke.

However, there have been other tests done where participants are given a whole drink of coke (8-12 oz.) versus a whole drink of Pepsi, and in these kinds of tests, Coke is more often preferred over Pepsi. This suggests that as a drink, Coke is preferable, and as an ephemeral sip, Pepsi is preferable. Considering that beverages are made to be tasty throughout an entire serving, I'd say that Coke is "winning" (at least in its essence as a beverage).

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I didn't see a single pepsi the whole time I was in south america- your options of soft drinks were pretty much limited to Coca, Coca Lite or Guarana (which totally ROCKS!)
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I didn't see a single pepsi the whole time I was in south america- your options of soft drinks were pretty much limited to Coca, Coca Lite or Guarana (which totally ROCKS SUCKS!)
    Seconded, and fixed...

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I like diet coke and coca cola lite but I dont like regular or any other varieties, I cant believe they created coca cola zero because they couldnt sell diet coke to a male market.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by teslashock View Post
    Pepsi wins taste tests that are conducted by comparing one sip of Pepsi to one sip of Coke, with the taste of one occurring immediately after the taste of another. This only shows that one sip of Pepsi tastes better than one sip of Coke, which makes sense considering that Pepsi is indeed sweeter than Coke.

However, there have been other tests done where participants are given a whole drink of coke (8-12 oz.) versus a whole drink of Pepsi, and in these kinds of tests, Coke is more often preferred over Pepsi. This suggests that as a drink, Coke is preferable, and as an ephemeral sip, Pepsi is preferable. Considering that beverages are made to be tasty throughout an entire serving, I'd say that Coke is "winning" (at least in its essence as a beverage).
    I'd disagree. Many of the tests in which Coke is preferred more than Pepsi are not blind, meaning people choose Coke knowing that it is Coke. In blind taste testing for entire servings of the beverage, the results vary and there is no clear winner (and New Coke, which was the sweetest of all three, beat both Coke and Pepsi several times). Besides, why would a sweeter beverage necessarily be less enjoyable over an entire drink? Part of the reason people like sodas to begin with is that they are sugary and fizzy. Those who drink soda on a daily basis are very unlikely to be significantly turned off by one that has only 5% more sugar by volume.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I like diet coke and coca cola lite but I dont like regular or any other varieties, I cant believe they created coca cola zero because they couldnt sell diet coke to a male market.
    I don't like diet soda very much, but I actually liked Coke Zero when I tried it. That is my favorite diet cola.

It's always something... PuddleRiver's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Coke Classic (caffeine-free) for the win. If I can't get that for whatever reason...then RC. Thinking about it a little more, I'd say I like them equally. hmm.

Pepsi is sickenly sweet...and kinda flat.
    Last edited by PuddleRiver; 03-02-2010 at 01:49 AM.
    "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay one invincible summer."
    ~~~~
    A Christian's life may be the only Bible some people ever read.
    ~~~~
    "The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them" Maya Angelou.
    ~~~~
    I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" Gandhi
    ~~~~