ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Default Argentinian Grandmothers finding lost war babies

excerpt:

The Truth Revealed

In recent years, investigators probing war crimes committed by the 1976-1983 military dictatorship determined that Fontana and her partner, Pedro Sandoval, had been detained, tortured and then killed, though their bodies have never been found.

Investigators believed that Fontana had left behind the baby she had been carrying when she was first arrested in mid-1977. That baby was given to Victor Rei and his wife during a night-time rendezvous in early 1978. They named the boy Alejandro.

In March 2004, the man Alejandro thought was his father became the target of a government investigation. The son said he tried to shut out the past. He also vowed to help defend the parents he had always known.

His father told him that they had taken him into their care to save him from certain death. He told Alejandro that the military had orders to kill the babies of those who had been imprisoned.

"I weighed everything that I had lived in my 26 years," Alejandro told NPR in a recent interview. "I thought what I had received was a real love, a real affection, and so I was determined that I would defend them as much as I could."
    Argentina's Dirty War Still Haunts Youngest Victims : NPR

Victor Rei was sentenced to 16 years for following government orders. If the adoptive parents didn't actually kill the biological parents, should they go to jail for raising the kids in silence?

Phantonym

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    If the adoptive parents didn't actually kill the biological parents, should they go to jail for raising the kids in silence?
    Obviously, there is no simple answer. On the one hand, with Rei being the intelligence officer, he and his wife were part of the regime that supported such a thing. They were aware of what was happening and that basically, it was kidnapping.

But on the other hand, he was a "cog in the ferocious military machine" and he could have opted not to take the child and raise him with such care.

Raising the child with love and providing a comfortable life by being a good parent...does it make up for, like the article says, hundreds of people who are/were living a lie and whose lives were lost? I simply don't have an answer.

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Yeah, SiB - I felt the same way. Whether it was a ferocious machine or not, it was the government of the time. And he was following orders against "terrorists". Should he have committed treason? Should he have given the child over to be shot? Maybe he felt he could have righted the wrongs of the past by raising this child well - which he did.

I don't know, either...

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

I have no idea, thankfully, what it would be like to live in such conditions; under a dictatorship. But I imagine it would be futile to do anything that would call attention to yourself, and you know you would just get shot if you did, so...........Yet I would hope that I'd make a difference in a small way; maybe raising the orphan left after the killings made up for his part in it, in his mind. I would like to think I would still have done something to blow the whistle on the corrupt government, even if it was just to send a news story to another land; anything but nothing. I think it speaks of the same pyschology that allowed Nazis and Germans to enforce Hitler's sick agenda. The psychology that maybe some need to be 'removed' for the majority to flourish in peace.

So, yeah, I think having finally received retribution is good and fair. Especially when you remember the innocents that lost their lives.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com