User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Haight View Post
    So. . . here's the question:

Why is San Francisco one of the wealthiest areas in the country (real estate prices were second only to NYC, the last time I checked), one of the most Liberal areas, and yet one that locks up blacks for drug crimes at a rate that is twenty times that of white folks in the same city?

(Good luck.)
    hmm everywhere's racists, just some places are better at hiding it then others.

BTW your user name is it pronouced Height or Hate? Ive been pronoucing it height, except throatier

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Nine

I think it is because the illegal aliens are favored over drug dealers. If they get rid of the drug dealers living in the city, more illegal aliens can live in the former crack houses and can be shielded from the INS. San Francisco is a sanctuary city. Besides then the white people will go buy meth in the suburbs.

Oh, and then the streets are clearer for those anarchist bike riders who take over the place every Friday.

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    Likely, the disparity is a result of personal bias outweighing broad political opinion. Very possible that the Liberal outlook is a paper tiger, as it were.

I think most people fear harder than they sympathize.
    But this isn't about rich, liberal folks writing Off-Ed pieces in the Chronicle. SF is a liberal voting city and has been for decades. Hence, it's not just talk, it's action as well.

In other words, they vote in liberal representatives, support their programs, and vote them in again, year over year. However, the representatives and the constituents seem to support these ultra-conservative incarceration policies.

I don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    hmm everywhere's racists, just some places are better at hiding it then others.

BTW your user name is it pronouced Height or Hate? Ive been pronoucing it height, except throatier
    Hmm. . . I agree.

And it's pronounced Hate. Like, I hate racists. . . for instance.
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Maybe black people are committing more crimes, or more severe crimes, than the white people in the city, for whatever reason. Is there something indicating that black people are being prosecuted unjustly for crimes?

Why do people always assume that there's hate crimes and prejudice involved whenever racial differences are present?

And, liberal people doesn't automatically mean that the police are liberal.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Quote Originally Posted by Haight View Post
    But this isn't about rich, liberal folks writing Off-Ed pieces in the Chronicle. SF is a liberal voting city and has been for decades. Hence, it's not just talk, it's action as well.

In other words, they vote in liberal representatives, support their programs, and vote them in again, year over year. However, the representatives and the constituents seem to support these ultra-conservative incarceration policies.

I don't get it.
    Generally speaking, are there a lot of schools central to the affected area(s)? (Not sure if you'd know the approximate areas affected, or if its widespread...)

As a teacher, I find that normally-reasonable parents will relinquish rationale thought when they feel their children are threatened. Sometimes the worst parents are those whose children naturally excel; lack of exposure to "real" negative stimuli can have peculiar effects, as expectations betray reality.

Per capita, is the violent crime rate fairly low? How is unemployment affecting SF? Politicians must work to remain observant as to the opinions of their constituents, should they seek reelection. Maybe the answer is found (in part) with them?

Perhaps the combined efforts of hyper-sensitive parents alongside an overly-zealous representative board?

It seems likely the truth of the matter is a cooperation of stimuli, rather than a single source.

(I also believe people are more racist than they care to consider...)

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    Per capita, is the violent crime rate fairly low?
    It's important to recognize that I stated "drug crimes" in the OP.
    Haight

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

it could be out of "necessity" in order to keep the tourists coming back so that they feel safe?

are the statistics on SF itself or including Oakland as well?
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    Maybe black people are committing more crimes, or more severe crimes, than the white people in the city, for whatever reason. Is there something indicating that black people are being prosecuted unjustly for crimes?

Why do people always assume that there's hate crimes and prejudice involved whenever racial differences are present?
    I think this is the best answer so far.

As cost of living and wage gap increases, those at the bottom end tend to act out aggression more. As the gap increases, so does the need to protect the higher end of society. This is increasinly true as the stratification is technical - that is, the movement of money comes from expertise that is not readily passed down to new workers.

As such, it is increasingly likely that the higher end are the demand for drugs, protection and stratification - liberal only encourages a lifestyle that would cause this, but human nature would still kick in (fight/flee taking priority over liberal tendencies). The lower end of society would therefore be the demand - the attempt to lower the stratification by passing money down the ladder. However, increased drug supply would likely read to rapid increase in crime (few winners, lots of losers)... but that crime would then continue the same cycle of stratification.

/theory

MBTI
    INTJ

I would suspect that it is easier to catch many more black criminals when it comes to drugs. Generally speaking, most low income neighborhoods are not predominately white and most low income neighborhoods are hotbeds of crime (broken windows theory). Due to the "war on drugs" or "huge waste of money" as I like to call it, your bound to see a lot of low level prosecutions. It's much easier to catch a black crack dealer than a white meth distributor.

Now, is the law racially discriminatory? Probably so...as is evident in the cocaine vs. crack penalties. But you can blame your knee-jerk congress for that.

Not to mention that some drug enforcement groups get their funding entirely from busts...and not your tax dollars, which can lead to more incentive for a quick fix than a long term investigation.

IMO, they are not being locked up unjustly according to the law. Rather, the law is unjust and results in proportionally unjust round ups.

I'm white...and if I decided to roll or smoke or get bars or something...I wouldn't have to go to a dealer who's standing on a corner in a dark alley all night. I would just call someone. You can see where one is much more likely to get caught than the other.

EDIT to add: Liberals may be more racial-equality-friendly (or at least claim to be) but no one is easy on crime. I would challenge you to find one liberal representative or senator that claims to be "easy" on any aspect of crime, black or otherwise, who actually go elected. Fear is a powerful tool. That's why governments hype up busts and organized crime and such.

oh yes...and the introduction of crack, which is very cheap for most drugs, is what gave rise to all of the petty street gangs which aren't really bound together strongly...thus they can't get the kind of support and protection that a large organized racket could back in the heroin and cocaine days
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    it could be out of "necessity" in order to keep the tourists coming back so that they feel safe?
    Are you joking?

Drugs and SF are almost synonymous. Think of the 60's.

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    are the statistics on SF itself or including Oakland as well?
    Of course not.
    Haight