12 Last

heart on fire

Default Abortion Billboards Stir Racial Debate

What do folks think of this?

Yahoo!

heart on fire

Default USA: Billboards Declare 'Too Many Abortions' in Black Community'

Video of story

Billboard Controversy: Signs in Atlanta Say Black Children are 'Endangered Species' Because of 'Too Many Abortions' - ABC News

Abortion Billboards: Strong Words Spark Debate in Atlanta's Black Neighborhoods

Billboards Declare 'Too Many Abortions' in Black Community

Of the 36,094 women in Georgia who had abortions in 2008, nearly 21,000 were African-American, more than twice the number of white women. Nationally, the CDC says black women are still three times more likely than white women to get an abortion.

Ryan Bomberger, who designed the billboards, is "trying to raise awareness in the African American community." he told ABC News, "to say, 'Look, here are the numbers. Here's what's happening,' and it should be alarming to civic leaders and to black pastors."

Bomberger's group, The Radiance Foundation. has also set up a Web site, toomanyaborted.com, laying out the argument behind its attention-getting headline...
    Thoughts?

Sniffles

And the countdown begins to when racism is mentioned.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    And the countdown begins to when racism is mentioned.
    I was guessing someone would mention Freakonomics first. And, anyway, wouldn't black mothers be the ones to decide whether there are too many abortions in the black community?
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    I was guessing someone would mention Freakonomics first.
    Oh don't worry we'll get to that soon enough as well. But standard procedure demands we first establish this is all the result of racism.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

I always like seeing controversial billboards. Regardless of the message.

Just because billboards are always so boring and monotonous.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I think it would be more productive to focus on the reasons many women find abortion to be the best option (poverty, missing/unsuitable father, young age, etc etc) rather than making blanket accusations. Not to mention the problem of unplanned pregnancies in the first place.

Making it into a race thing rather than a socioeconomic thing is a bit of a red herring, I think.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    INTJ

Maybe someone should put up a billboard about having too many babies in an area with limited resources.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

heart on fire

Oops, I didn't mean to make two threads. Sorry!

Enneagram
    1w2

IIRC, one of the reasons why black women have a "higher" abortion rate is because many of them get abortions through state and area health departments which are required to release demographic data.

Private doctors and clinics are not required thus skewing the numbers.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3
    Likes MDP2525 liked this post