User Tag List

MBTI
    ESFJ

Default Cuban dissident prisoner dies

Apparently, Cuban political prisoner Orlando Zapata Tamayo has died. This link had him in critical condition after 76 days of hunger striking. RIP.

CUBA: Prisoner of conscience being transferred to Havana in critical condition after 76 days on hunger strike | Directorio Democr
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

Kennedy should have invaded cuba during the bay of pigs fiasco. But he didn't have the balls.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by peterk View Post
    Kennedy should have invaded cuba during the bay of pigs fiasco. But he didn't have the balls.
    Read what you wrote.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by peterk View Post
    Not really. Containment worked with Cuba. It's actually an effective strategy.

We'd still have a foreign relations nightmare on our hands today had we invaded then. And now we are about to re-start friendly relations.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?

While I find it interesting that someone would die for their beliefs and values, this is just as true the opposite as well.

And oddly... I don't think I can comprehend how yeu can blame someone else for an action yeu took voluntarily yeurself. He didn't die from mistreatment, nor from exposure, neglect, nor anything else. He died to SUICIDE. He LET himself die. That is his own fault, noone else's. If he had've eaten, he wouldn't be dead. Funny how that works >.>

True, it does show he's willing to die for his cause, but at the same time, it doesn't show that cuba is evil or bad. People die in the states from hunger strikes as well, and we don't see that being absolute proof that the states is evil.

Slanted judgment? Likely so.

In 2005 in Guantánamo Bay, quite a few prisoners were on hunger strike; the reason they didn't die is they were strapped down and force fed against their will. Which was considered a major breech of human rights and medical ethics.

Either way, if someone goes on hunger strike and keeps it up... yeu're damned if yeu do, and damned if yeu don't. Yeu can't make them eat without looking bad, and if they die, yeu still look bad. Yeu have no recourse. And people can go on hunger strikes for anything they believe strongly in, regardless of the validity of such.

In the end, a hunger strike is an attempt to invoke a GUILT TRIP in someone else for yeu doing something stupid to yeurself. I've never taken such foolishness well; if yeu shoot yeurself in the foot, yeu got the gun, yeu aimed and fired, and yeu endure the consequences of yeur actions. I had no participation in yeur actions and told yeu it was a dumb idea, and probably tried to stop yeu from doing it; don't expect me to feel pity that yeu were stupid enough to ignore my warnings.

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by Katsuni View Post
    In the end, a hunger strike is an attempt to invoke a GUILT TRIP in someone else for yeu doing something stupid to yeurself. I've never taken such foolishness well;
    +100000000000000000

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I concur^
    Function Activity:
    Ni > Te > Ti = Fi > Ne > Si = Fe > Se

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

The bay of pigs was a fiasco because we didn't invade. Also the Cuban missile crises, in which the world almost got blown up, would never have happened. The Cubans were generally a pain in the ass during the cold war. I don't wish to imply that we should invade them now. As for some dissident dying, what do you expect? They are a communist country and that's what communist countries do to dissidents!