User Tag List

View Poll Results: What is the best country to live in?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Australia

7 12.28%
  • Austria

1 1.75%
  • Britain

6 10.53%
  • Canada

8 14.04%
  • Denmark

7 12.28%
  • France

2 3.51%
  • Germany

2 3.51%
  • Iceland

8 14.04%
  • Ireland

4 7.02%
  • Italy

3 5.26%
  • Japan

2 3.51%
  • Luxembourg

3 5.26%
  • New Zealand

6 10.53%
  • Norway

10 17.54%
  • Spain

1 1.75%
  • Sweden

10 17.54%
  • Switzerland

5 8.77%
  • USA

23 40.35%
  • Other

8 14.04%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 4567 Last

MBTI
    Intp
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    ILI

The mediteranean, and if I really have to choose: Italy for its weather, culture, people, passion, style and food...

... but Belgium is fine...
    Vanitas vanitatum omnia vanitas

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

I believe in America as an idea with every fiber of my being, even if the reality doesn't often match the idea.

I can't think of any country where it does... well, maybe dictatorships.

MBTI
    INFJ

Ever seen Michael Moore's movies (Fahrenheit 9/11, Sicko, Bowling for Columbine)? If you do, you will want to move to Canada. I know someone who lives there. I wanna move there. I heard Norway's pretty nice too but I don't want to learn Norwegian.
    INFJ, Counselor, IEI, 4w5

Procrastinating
    MBTI
    INTJ

I don't think there's a country that's any less corrupt than the USA, and many more so, nor freer so, given the other pluses, I would have to say the USA.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Seanan View Post
    I don't think there's a country that's any less corrupt than the USA, and many more so, nor freer so, given the other pluses, I would have to say the USA.
    The Economist had a governmental corruption index some years back. If I can find it, I would post it. The UK, I believe, was the least corrupt (and The Economist isn't really known for being biased toward its own government). The U.S. and Canada scored very well. Italy was easily the worst of the biggest economic powers. India also had a particularly corrupt (and gigantic) bureaucracy. Of course, governmental corruption is not the only kind there is in the world, but it's not a bad place to start. The amount of time and money it takes to get a business started (between regulations, red tape, and outright bribery) is another measurement.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ISTx

USA

That is my completely biased opinion.

MBTI
    INFJ

I just visited Italy in March. We had a very good native Italian guide and yes, the government is pretty much totally corrupt. They were preparing for an election so there were political ads everywhere. We were told that you vote for a party in Italy rather than an individual, and then the party puts whoever they want in office. We were also told that one of the leaders there has broken so many laws that if he ever leaves office he will go straight to jail for a very long time. In other words, you can STAY in office even if you break the law. I guess their political traditions have their roots in acient Rome where illegal activities were pretty much a part of everyday life.

Countries I have visited in my lifetime, roughly in order visited:
    France
    Switzerland
    Mexico
    Greece
    Canada
    Grenada
    Ecuador/Galapagos Islands
    Grand Cayman (British province)
    Australia
    Costa Rica
    Italy
    Have lived in the USA my whole life

I have to say Greece was absolutely amazing. The food was incredible. But I'm surprised that Costa Rica hasn't been mentioned by anyone. The food there is also fantastic. And they have the highest literacy rate (and standard of living) in Central America. And the wildlife and natural beauty - volcanoes, cloud forest, beaches. It is a really special place. They take elementary-age kids out of school one day a month to pick up trash. Consequently, there is almost no trash on the roadside there. And they also take kids into the rainforest. They take their stewardship of their natural resources very seriously, and they are proud of their country. Granted, there are some problems there (malaria, Denge fever, some level of crime) but it is an amazing place.

I absolutely loved the Galapagos as any nature lover would. But Ecuador has its problems. Australia was a bit of a disappointment to me (but not to my husband) because the food was just not good (sorry Aussies ). But diving the Great Barrier reef was everything I could have imagined and more. I would like to go back when the humpbacks are calving there.

Each time I visit another country I learn things about the culture that expands my appreciation for other ways of life. The Greeks have a wonderful slow-paced life and healthy diet, the Italians value family and fun, Australians are laid-back and friendly, etc. But I also learn to appreciate even more what we have here. We have a ridiculous standard of living here and if we work hard, we can achieve almost anything in life. Women here are among the luckiest in the world. I feel really blessed to have been born here, to have had an opportunity to get the education that has allowed me to pursue my dreams, including the opportunity to visit many different countries. Vive La Difference!

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    I like Suisse myself. Sadly, one cannot become a citizen there if one was not born there. There is no naturalization process.
    ??? Wikipedia says you're wrong (scroll to the part labeled naturalization)..Swiss nationality law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Personally, I'd wouldn't mine living in any of the Scandanavian countries, Switzerland, Iceland, or some parts of Canada (not a big fan of Quebec).
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

I like very much living here, especially from march to november when the weather's good.

Politics: I honestly don't care anymore. I just live my life.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    Intp
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    I like very much living here, especially from march to november when the weather's good.

Politics: I honestly don't care anymore. I just live my life.
    Where is "here"?
    Vanitas vanitatum omnia vanitas