User Tag List

View Poll Results: What is the best country to live in?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Australia

7 12.28%
  • Austria

1 1.75%
  • Britain

6 10.53%
  • Canada

8 14.04%
  • Denmark

7 12.28%
  • France

2 3.51%
  • Germany

2 3.51%
  • Iceland

8 14.04%
  • Ireland

4 7.02%
  • Italy

3 5.26%
  • Japan

2 3.51%
  • Luxembourg

3 5.26%
  • New Zealand

6 10.53%
  • Norway

10 17.54%
  • Spain

1 1.75%
  • Sweden

10 17.54%
  • Switzerland

5 8.77%
  • USA

23 40.35%
  • Other

8 14.04%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 34567 Last

To the top of the world arcticangel02's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNFP

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Most of this doesn't surprise me, except for Ireland() and Australia, which every Australian seems to hate...
    Lol. We don't hate Australia. Not really. We just love to whinge. It's like a national pasttime.

Quote Originally Posted by YourLocalJesus View Post
    Neither is Australia... Let's just say I know a guy that SOOO wishes he was back in good ol' aussie land, but he's married and stuff and can't rip his kids away from their lives etc. Think about all the good stuff there is in Australia, like... THE SUN. We have real shorts summers up here in Scandinavia. It sucks. And then it doesn't really matter how high GDP per capita we have, it's all cold and dark most of the year. And well, let's just say social habits aren't as social up here, we don't really have much of the everyday gatherings at the local pub that you see in other countries for an example.
    Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    Ireland would be good. And Iceland. Anywhere in the far north, really. It's too friggin hot here.
    JJJ, have you ever actually lived anywhere other than Aussie-land? I totally think we underestimate the value of Australian weather until we've lived somewhere else... Like I used to think I'd like to live somewhere cooler... until I spent a year in Germany.

I mean, the landscape is gorgeous and all, but it was cold! (And they really only got down to -5 C or so!) And I was so deprived of sun... they had like two weeks of summer, and that was it. They had so few sunny days they were like, OMG it's sunny! Let's do OUTDOOR stuff! And I was like, meh, really?

LOL. Don't get me wrong, it was lovely, and I'd go back, maybe to live, but I really appreciate the hot weather here now. *snuggles*

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    So -- I would like to live in Spain for a bit. It's warm, I'd live on the coast, and the lifestyle suits me perfect or so I think from what I've heard from a friend. I would live as a student learning the language and possibly working under the table and sightsee all around Europe. I have the typical backpacker/student fantasy of living in Europe, learning German, Spanish, and Italian, and brushing up on my French.
    OMG me toooo! Though this will have to be after I do an exchange to Berkeley for a semester. Or as long as I can manage to drag it out.

Haha, I adore travelling. I don't get enough of it.

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    But I remember reading that things are SO egalitarian and idyllic in some of the Scandinavian countries with universal health care, almost everyone is middle class with very few truly poor or truly rich people, with a homogenous population, low population density, and abundant natural scenery, no threats of terrorism, internal upheaval, etc. -- that young people feel a general sense of ennui? I think I also read that in some of the countries with long days of low light, it can have depressive effects.
    My sister is currently living in Finland, and apparently they have one of the highest rates of youth suicide of any country. Apparently spring is the killer season... when it's all grey and depressing outside. I guess it can mess with your head.

But apart from that, it seems like a really nice country to live in. In any case, I haven't seen nearly as much of Scandinavia as I would like.

Quote Originally Posted by aelan View Post
    London:
    The weather gets to me, but the arts and theatre scene is great. I love the wit too. Cost of living was high though. She's a 25 year old, in a long sleeved wrap dress on red heels, a wink and a cosmopolitan in hand.
    Oh, I would also love to live in London for a while. Or just park myself there for a month and see every theatre production there is to see.

Quote Originally Posted by aelan View Post
    Australia: I'd probably pick Perth. Access to wines for one But a boy in board shorts smelling of sunshine and sea, reading philosophy over a beer with you.
    Score! We get points! Perth is pretty cool, but it's a families sort of place, if you know what I mean. Great place to raise your kids and all, a fairly relaxed, casual, Beach BBQ sort of lifestyle, but for the young adults there's not a huge amount to do.

That's why they're all overseas, hostel-ing, like CzeCze mentioned.

So, anyway, enough of my country.
    ANFP:
    Extraversion (52%) ---- Introversion (48%)
    Sensing (26%) ---- iNtuition (74%)
    Thinking (16%) ---- Feeling (84%)
    Judging (5%) ---- Perceiving (95%)

9w1 so/sx/sp

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

but some of australia is dyinnngggg

(although I did vote for it. i want to SCUBA there before it's all dead!)
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

To the top of the world arcticangel02's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNFP

It's sad.

But on the other hand, we've been having a 'drought' for the last hundred years.

Edit: And yes! I have been fortunate enough to scuba dive both on Ningaloo Reef and the Great Barrier Reef.... both spectacular.
    ANFP:
    Extraversion (52%) ---- Introversion (48%)
    Sensing (26%) ---- iNtuition (74%)
    Thinking (16%) ---- Feeling (84%)
    Judging (5%) ---- Perceiving (95%)

9w1 so/sx/sp

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Why is this a multiple choice poll?
    we fukin won boys

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    (although I did vote for it. i want to SCUBA there before it's all dead!)
    How old are you? Article says the reef is supposed to last another 30 years. That ol' boy might just outlive you yet, in which case the right sentence is, "I want to scuba there before I'M dead." unless you're young. Actually, leaving out cancer and toxins and all that kind of nasty shit that kills you -- I hate to be so morbid, but death is what's on the table -- you'd probably need to be like 40 or so before that would be a concern, in which case, scuba-ing is probably off limits.

My dad collects and grows coral. I'll probably go down there, and scuba, of course, but I'll collect a few frags for him to grow. The Great Barrier reef shall not die entirely. Not on my watch.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Most of this doesn't surprise me, except for Ireland() and Australia, which every Australian seems to hate...
    Most Australians I know love living here.

I've lived in both the USA and France and have recently returned from a few months in Denmark. I've really no desire to return to the USA, I can take or leave France, but I really loved Denmark. I look forward to returning next year, and this time I hope to also spend some time in Norway.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    (lovely people, lovely land, wonderful food... I miss Brazil!)
    What about those super babies genetically engineered there?

MBTI
    INTP

Save fore the Balkan countries, Austria and Finland, Europe is the best place to live in.
    The best European countries are not in the list.

MBTI
    GONE

Well, I guess we can change the vote to the 'best continent' to live on, but I fear Antarctica would feel left out. And Australia would get the same votes.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I'd love to go to Antarctica. Ever see The Thing?

In fact, Antarctica would be the perfect base of operations for the NT world domination. Sure it's cold down there, but NTs don't go outside that much...we're too busy operating our computers indoors!