User Tag List

View Poll Results: What is the best country to live in?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Australia

7 12.28%
  • Austria

1 1.75%
  • Britain

6 10.53%
  • Canada

8 14.04%
  • Denmark

7 12.28%
  • France

2 3.51%
  • Germany

2 3.51%
  • Iceland

8 14.04%
  • Ireland

4 7.02%
  • Italy

3 5.26%
  • Japan

2 3.51%
  • Luxembourg

3 5.26%
  • New Zealand

6 10.53%
  • Norway

10 17.54%
  • Spain

1 1.75%
  • Sweden

10 17.54%
  • Switzerland

5 8.77%
  • USA

23 40.35%
  • Other

8 14.04%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 23456 Last

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I like the cold.
    And it's very hard for a place to be too dull for me.
    I am amazed at how bored ENFPs are...
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by Splittet View Post
    Why would it be boring for young people?
    You know, I was just about to amend my post and ask you what you thought.

Alright, again, I have a bad memory so I may have to backtrack --

But I remember reading that things are SO egalitarian and idyllic in some of the Scandinavian countries with universal health care, almost everyone is middle class with very few truly poor or truly rich people, with a homogenous population, low population density, and abundant natural scenery, no threats of terrorism, internal upheaval, etc. -- that young people feel a general sense of ennui? I think I also read that in some of the countries with long days of low light, it can have depressive effects.

I'm just going on things I've read so perhaps they were very biased...

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I am amazed at how bored ENFPs are...
    Hahahaha...thanks.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    Hahahaha...thanks.
    You're welcome.

I guess I should add that this seems to be true of all EPs.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INTJ

You know, I was just about to amend my post and ask you what you thought.

Alright, again, I have a bad memory so I may have to backtrack --

But I remember reading that things are SO egalitarian in some of the Scandinavian countries with universal health care, almost everyone is middle class with very few truly poor or truly rich people, with a homogenous population, low population density, and idyllic abundant natural scenery -- that young people feel a general sense of ennui? I think I also read that in some of the countries with long days of low light, it can have depressive effects.

I'm just going on things I've read and was not meant to be a direct judgement of gloom on Northern-most Europe.
    Maybe it was more like that before, but I don't think it's like that anymore. I feel very strongly there is a trend among the youth of wanting to be special. Weirdness is status in many circles.

Quote Originally Posted by Splittet View Post
    Why would it be boring for young people? When it comes to the weather people stay in 95 % of the time, it's not that important. And we have great nature! Actually, I bet the average Norwegian spends more time outside than the average American. That means the weather can't be that huge a problem ...
    Other than slightly cooler weather in the spring, summer, and fall, Oslo, Norway's climate isn't that much different than Ohio. I actually wouldn't mind cooler weather in the summer, with temps here uncomfortably exceeding 90 F (32 C) quite often with humidity > 80%.

Oslo climate and weather, Norway, Rainfall Temperature Climate and Weather

But I remember reading that things are SO egalitarian and idyllic in some of the Scandinavian countries with universal health care, almost everyone is middle class with very few truly poor or truly rich people, with a homogenous population, low population density, and abundant natural scenery, no threats of terrorism, internal upheaval, etc.

So, Splittet... know of any houses for sale right now there in Norway?
    Last edited by JAVO; 11-29-2007 at 06:25 PM. Reason: read CzeCze's description of _Scandinavian countries_

MBTI
    ISXJ

I'd probably choose Uruguay...was there once, and loved it. It is by far one of the safer latin american countries (perhaps only second to Chile as far as safety), and the exchange rate is fantastic. Culture is rich and wonderful, people are friendly, is located on the coast, stays fairly warm year-round, and you have easy access to visiting Buenos Aires (probably my favorite city in the world...at least for the time being). Plus, I find the Spanish accent there easy to understand. Awwww....now I want to go back!

~dangerous curves ahead~
    MBTI
    ENTP

Javo:

I think it depends what is important to you, to grossly understate things. From reading the posts here, some would want excitement, multi-culturalism; heat; cold; others want a peaceful environment, close to nature . Where's home is a choice of obligations and heart.

To share some points, in some of the places I've been in for some time (alert, spoilers ahead, avoid reading if you abhor rambling ):

Suisse:
    Yes, Switzerland is expensive. However, the tax rate is one of the lowest in the EU, if I recall correctly, personal tax is progressive from 5 - 20%. This means your net dollar earned is potentially higher vs London, Paris or Australia for e.g, and overall higher cost of living could be offset by this.

The citizenship is not impossible to obtain; especially if you're of comfortable means and show a long term commitment to living in the country. It helps to have studied there. But you'd still have to work out the canton you'd belong to - there're separate levels of belonging there. Over the different cantons, cost of living also varies widely, as with climate, people's attitudes etc. People are friendly, but a little reserved. In Zurich, the amount of sports cars were unbelievable. I swear I was going to get whiplash turning around to glimpse the cars going by.

When I look back at my time in Switzerland, I picture her as a lady in a black dress, with pearls, perfectly coiffed, immaculate taste, but with a fast car and a love for cigarettes and hiking, and you never really know her.

US:
    Have not been to all the states, but among those I've been to, I'd pick Hawaii. It is not like the rest of the States, in a good way. She's a warm, plump lady who loves her drink, inviting you to her imperfect table with a smile.

LA, Las Vegas: Fun for a time, but too easy to get lost, in that, I felt a lack of something to hold on to (Apologies to anyone here who may be from there). Hard nails, glitz, not sure what is real.

San Francisco in spring was delightful, but I've not passed a winter there. A girl "with flowers in her hair", and a sense of possibilities, no apologies for what has passed, few regrets for what might have been.

London:
    The weather gets to me, but the arts and theatre scene is great. I love the wit too. Cost of living was high though. She's a 25 year old, in a long sleeved wrap dress on red heels, a wink and a cosmopolitan in hand.

Asia:
    Shanghai: fast, alive, takes no prisoners. An insecure, but go-getting girl, playing dress-up sometimes with borrowed diamonds, but earning her own way steadily and quickly.

Hong Kong: Shanghai's older sister. More constant, more real, but still kicks ass.

Singapore: The tag Switzerland of the East is pretty much it. Precise, strict. But within that space, tolerance. I've not known many countries where you could have friends of different cultures and religions, visiting each other's places of worship, live, work and play together.

Australia: I'd probably pick Perth. Access to wines for one But a boy in board shorts smelling of sunshine and sea, reading philosophy over a beer with you.

Have been to other countries too for travel, but probably not enough to say if I'd want to live in them.

Have I digressed too far. .

MBTI
    INTP

Confoederatio Helvetica.

Motto

Unus pro omnibus, omnes pro uno.

1 Avust 1291 ils chantuns furman la Ligia

Linguas

Taliana
    Rumantsch Grishun
    Tudestga
    Franzosa

El num dil Segner Gesu da Nazaret.
    Amen.

I don't know that I could ever leave the USA on a permanent basis. I know many people consider their country to simply be the place that they live, but I would feel like I was a child leaving my family to be voluntarily adopted by strangers. I believe in America as an idea with every fiber of my being, even if the reality doesn't often match the idea. I believe having a goal is as important as the ability to live up to it, which is why I have so much sympathy for clergy that have sinned.

All that said, I have visited Ireland twice, and last year I spent five months in Canada. And I would consider it a privilege to live in either.

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by aelan View Post

Singapore: The tag Switzerland of the East is pretty much it. Precise, strict. But within that space, tolerance. I've not known many countries where you could have friends of different cultures and religions, visiting each other's places of worship, live, work and play together.
    Ding, ding, ding!

Yes, I picked correctly then.

There are lots of American and 'international' grad school programs (okay, I know of 2) with campuses in Singapore. I thought seriously of living there for at least a few years for that reason. And ultimately getting an international MBA. I don't like feeling bound and I would like to experience the world while I'm still relatively young and unattached.

I've been to Hong Kong but I was underwhelmed, then again, I was on a family trip as a teenager. I did get some nice shoes though and it would be nice to live near the water as in Kowloon Bay. All I remember of Macau were some Portuguese church ruins and pachinko parlors...