User Tag List

View Poll Results: What is the best country to live in?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Australia

7 12.28%
  • Austria

1 1.75%
  • Britain

6 10.53%
  • Canada

8 14.04%
  • Denmark

7 12.28%
  • France

2 3.51%
  • Germany

2 3.51%
  • Iceland

8 14.04%
  • Ireland

4 7.02%
  • Italy

3 5.26%
  • Japan

2 3.51%
  • Luxembourg

3 5.26%
  • New Zealand

6 10.53%
  • Norway

10 17.54%
  • Spain

1 1.75%
  • Sweden

10 17.54%
  • Switzerland

5 8.77%
  • USA

23 40.35%
  • Other

8 14.04%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 12345 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    What on Earth do they mean by human development in Human Development Index? I'd say that's pretty subjective and shouldn't even be taken into consideration.
    I see your point, but I think it's an advantage to include that because such a subjective question should account for subjective factors.

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    you can bet anything that I'd be right back in South America without a second thought if I had the opportunity! I don't care if there's a high crime and poverty level- I love the culture and food and people so much that I'd live there no matter what!

(lovely people, lovely land, wonderful food... I miss Brazil!)
    Yes, but would you want your kids to grow up in an area with high crime and poverty?
    Last edited by JAVO; 11-29-2007 at 04:56 PM. Reason: added question to whatever

MBTI
    OMNi

HA! Iceland is competing with the United States.

I've wondered as many others have as to why is it called Iceland if it's green? And also, why is Greenland called green even though it's covered in ice?

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by JAVO View Post
    Why is that? Is Swedish more semantically rich or more expressive?
    In my ears it sounds better. It has a better flow than the Norwegian language. My Norwegian dialect is especially awfull, I guess I am from Norway's Texas. :P

Well, really, all the Nordic languages (Swedish, Norwegian, Danish, and Icelandic) are similar. I actually like Icelandic the best, because it's a language that has remained relatively unchanged over the years.
    Ah, I thought you meant you liked the Norwegian language better than the Swedish, but you like them equal? As a Norwegian I would know just how similar the languages are. :P Icelandic is today not all that similar to these languages. I wouldn't be able the hear what they say. I do understand Swedish and Danish though, although Danish is quite difficult orally (they swallow words). When it comes to the written language Danish is easier to understand than Swedish, but I understand both. I would say Icelandic is more similar to Norwegian than Swedish, so I guess that's one reason for you to like Norwegian more than Swedish.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by JAVO View Post
    Yes, but would you want your kids to grow up in an area with high crime and poverty?
    I don't want kids!

and actually where I was there was a safer area than where I am here- and just as poor as my home county!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I don't want kids!
    Way to evade the question!

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddo View Post
    HA! Iceland is competing with the United States.

I've wondered as many others have as to why is it called Iceland if it's green? And also, why is Greenland called green even though it's covered in ice?

Viking trick.

And honestly, I chortle at how many people have picked the USA. :rolli:
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Splittet View Post
    Ah, I thought you meant you liked the Norwegian language better than the Swedish, but you like them equal? As a Norwegian I would know just how similar the languages are. :P Icelandic is today not all that similar to these languages. I wouldn't be able the hear what they say. I do understand Swedish and Danish though, although Danish is quite difficult orally (they swallow words). When it comes to the written language Danish is easier to understand than Swedish, but I understand both. I would say Icelandic is more similar to Norwegian than Swedish, so I guess that's one reason for you to like Norwegian more than Swedish.
    Yeah, that's why Icelandic is so fascinating. It's more like Old Norse. It's interesting how ancient Icelandic texts are still able to be read by present day Icelandic speakers.

MBTI
    INTJ

Yeah, that's why Icelandic is so fascinating. It's more like Old Norse. It's interesting how ancient Icelandic texts are still able to be read by present day Icelandic speakers.
    Hehe, indeed. As a Norwegian, I have no chance in hell of reading Norse texts. It's very complex compared to Norwegian, especially because of the grammer. Norwegian is kind of a very simplified Norse, while Swedish has had more influence from for example German than Norwegian.

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    And honestly, I chortle at how many people have picked the USA. :rolli:
    Haha, you said 'chortle'.

(As I gimble in the wabe.)

No offense to those that really live in Scandinavia (my first e pen pal lived in one of those countries...I now forget). I love your egalitarian socio-political systems but I've heard for younger people especially it's boring. Plus with the weather...I would find it depressing. I don't like the cold.

I have thought about emigrating again, or just living abroad for a few years. I already travel between the 'land of my birth' and the states, and it makes a HUGE difference speaking the language and being an 'insider'. I do not want to live as an expat, so that narrows down greatly where I could live. Meaning stay for more than a few years, be gainfully employed or else have a life there. As an Asian queer woman, I also don't want to feel isolated or unsafe.

So -- I would like to live in Spain for a bit. It's warm, I'd live on the coast, and the lifestyle suits me perfect or so I think from what I've heard from a friend. I would live as a student learning the language and possibly working under the table and sightsee all around Europe. I have the typical backpacker/student fantasy of living in Europe, learning German, Spanish, and Italian, and brushing up on my French.

More practically speaking, I want to live in a multicultural developed (or rapidly developing) country where English is an official language and I could travel with relative ease to other countries. And in that country, live in a cosmopolitan CITY.

Longer term, I think Singapore or London. Sorry Australia, amongst other reservations, you are just too damn far from everything...plus I have noticed a higher than average representation of Aussies amongst veteran hostelers -- it seems you all can't wait to get out of Australia!

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    No offense to those that really live in Scandinavia (my first e pen pal lived in one of those countries...I now forget). I love your egalitarian socio-political systems but I've heard for younger people especially it's boring. Plus with the weather...I would find it depressing. I don't like the cold.
    Why would it be boring for young people? When it comes to the weather people stay in 95 % of the time, it's not that important. And we have great nature! Actually, I bet the average Norwegian spends more time outside than the average American. That means the weather can't be that huge a problem ...