User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ESFJ

Default Ron Paul Wins CPAC Straw Poll

RP is getting up there in age, and I don't know that he even wants to take another run at the GOP nomination. He seems to be focusing on the Campaign for Liberty and his pet issue of the Fed now. Still, these results are telling. Naturally, many of the Paulites flooded the voting, but the Killer P's all get very little support, and Mitt Romney lost some backing (and, honestly, which people in America really look at Mitt Romney and say, "I LOVE THIS GUY?"). Does this bode well for a Ron Paul-endorsed bid for Gary Johnson in 2012? I'd love to see Obama try to debate GJ on policy.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INTP

I just had a Campaign 4 Liberty meeting today, and one of the coordinators had just come back from CPAC.

He stated that there were HUGE divisions and lots of booing going on, to the point that the feel was not that of conservatives united, but conservatives pissed off at the party.

Ron Paul was not booed. The boos that happened in his speech were in response to topics and people he mentioned, and were in favor of him. Considering what happened to the former vice president, that is saying a lot.

Also, the GOP platform has been bending in Ron Paul's libertarian direction and away from the neocons. What happened in CPAC may very well be a precursor to the election three years from now. Ron Paul may very well be petitioned to run for president (or someone he endorses), just like he was in 08, and when he does Campaign 4 Liberty will be there, and his support and networks will already be in place...

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    RP is getting up there in age, and I don't know that he even wants to take another run at the GOP nomination. He seems to be focusing on the Campaign for Liberty and his pet issue of the Fed now. Still, these results are telling. Naturally, many of the Paulites flooded the voting, but the Killer P's all get very little support, and Mitt Romney lost some backing (and, honestly, which people in America really look at Mitt Romney and say, "I LOVE THIS GUY?"). Does this bode well for a Ron Paul-endorsed bid for Gary Johnson in 2012? I'd love to see Obama try to debate GJ on policy.
    Ron Paul would be a very different candidate for the conservatives of America. However, Im not really sure he does them any favors. The many positives he has over the former Republican neo-cons are almost all canceled out by his ridiculous conspiracy theories.

For example, he has a 1970/80's understanding of economics and really has no idea what he is talking about when it comes to the Fed, pegging to gold and money supply... And even in a world where he was "right" about these things, his explanations and accusations would be too esoteric for the avg conservative voter, they would fly right over their heads...

just my 2 cents...

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

I guess the CPAC straw poll voters were mostly students this year. So that would help explain it. Younger conservatives and are less conservative on social and foreign policy. Just part of the gradual shirt towards liberalism or progressivism in the wider society.

Ron Paul himself, he's too old. He might have a couple successful offshoots rise up... but it will be a while until the conservative base ever gives support to an anti-war candidate, if ever.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Babylon Candle View Post
    Ron Paul would be a very different candidate for the conservatives of America. However, Im not really sure he does them any favors. The many positives he has over the former Republican neo-cons are almost all canceled out by his ridiculous conspiracy theories.

For example, he has a 1970/80's understanding of economics and really has no idea what he is talking about when it comes to the Fed, pegging to gold and money supply... And even in a world where he was "right" about these things, his explanations and accusations would be too esoteric for the avg conservative voter, they would fly right over their heads...

just my 2 cents...
    His supporters are pretty much of the same mindset though.

The transformation of the US economy from a modern money circulating economy to that of a old world gold standard economy which fits the antiquated economic frame would be possible, it would take serious, serious change and I couldnt see the US remaining nation no. 1 through the process or at the end of, which would have negative consequences for everyone I believe but I dont believe its impossible.

In terms of ideological struggles it is the only or main alternative to switching from military keynesianism to the regular variety of Keynesianism vie health reforms which Obama is ushering in.

I mean I dont believe that its going to be good for anyone if the Ron Paul vision is realised, not even for the US 1% or they are going to have to accept greater risks to their estates and wealth and slower rates of accumulation and pretty much everyone else can go to hell and forget about the standards of living that circulating the money Keynes style made possible.

Although that's in no way to dismiss it, people in the US have a long history of voting against their interests were the ideological appeal is good enough, ideas and ideology have a far, far greater push and pull in the US than they appear to have elsewhere in the world. Its a curious prospect because the world has seen the commie utopias wreck devastation on their countries and the racist, nationalist and reactionary ones have had their day too, it looks like the US could be the last to try to achieve utopia if Ron Paul has his day and doesnt ditch the rhetoric in office. A greater example of mots and planks couldnt be found than the left and the right wing in respect of their utopian aspirations.

MBTI
    ISTP

Ron Paul, is winning for an obvious reason in my opinion.....he is pretty much the only republican with a coherent opinion. From the first I heard much about him, until now, he has been saying the exact same thing. Secondly, although his methods of solving some problems are ridiculous (no, we aren't going back to the gold standard), his Libertarian take on things is a bit of a breath of fresh air compared to the BS contradictory rhetoric you hear coming out of the mouth of a lot of other people. (Also, most people have absolutely no understanding of economics, therefore, he sounds amazing to a lot of the idiots out there).

Is he a realistic candidate for president? I don't think so. I don't think even he thinks he is. But, his presence, seems to be an anchor point for slowly pulling mainstream Conservatives (and politicians) back toward what are supposed to be their actual principals.
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%

MBTI
    INTP

It is a certain type of misconception to think that Ron Paul would necessarily carry out his stated plans.

For instance, taking the U.S back to the gold standard would take a long time, and it is not the first item on the agenda. First is to cut spending and consolidate funds which by reducing military spending and foreign aid. Later on down the line is to audit nad nationalize the Federal Reserve, and then to abolish it. Any one of these actions would send shock waves through the status quo and can easily alter stated plans. As for the gold standard, Ron Paul states that is more of a "should-be", then a stated goal.

Regardless, Ron Paul did win the poll, and if anything it is indicative of a major shift from when he ran for president. Even if it was mostly students who voted for him, those are some dedicated and passionate students. Those students are valuable assets, assets the others did not have. Seeing as to how Ron Paul does not change, he has pretty much had the same platform for his entire political tenure, there is a good chance that his base will also maintain itself and grow. Whatever his status may be in three years, it will affect the outcome of the next election...

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post
    Ron Paul, is winning for an obvious reason in my opinion.....he is pretty much the only republican with a coherent opinion. From the first I heard much about him, until now, he has been saying the exact same thing. Secondly, although his methods of solving some problems are ridiculous (no, we aren't going back to the gold standard), his Libertarian take on things is a bit of a breath of fresh air compared to the BS contradictory rhetoric you hear coming out of the mouth of a lot of other people. (Also, most people have absolutely no understanding of economics, therefore, he sounds amazing to a lot of the idiots out there).

Is he a realistic candidate for president? I don't think so. I don't think even he thinks he is. But, his presence, seems to be an anchor point for slowly pulling mainstream Conservatives (and politicians) back toward what are supposed to be their actual principals.
    He's got the rhetoric down and to some people post-Bush administration that's impressive.

I tend to think that the momentary absolute power experienced by the republicans at that time lead to them jettisoning much of the rhetoric and pretense which they had maintained in order to win office.

The culture wars sustained them for a time after that when people hated what had become of the so called conservatives but hated the liberals more.

The problem remains the same though, if people arent prepared to abandon the modern consumer economy they really cant live without the redistributive tax and spending which circulates the money and makes it possible. That's the essential frame and no ones prepared to talk about that, Paul is correct when he suggests something as radical as reverting to antique economic alternatives such as the gold standard is the only way out.

Most utopias come to grief when they confronted by the challenge of practice, actually telling the voters that isnt going to win extra terms for anyone so its not going to happen.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

RP is awesome, he is so much a different animal from most Republicans. I hope if nothing else it will change the Republican core philososy away from war mongering Neocons towards antiinterventionists libertarians.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

Senior Member iamathousandapples's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    ILI

Quote Originally Posted by spamtar View Post
    RP is awesome, he is so much a different animal from most Republicans. I hope if nothing else it will change the Republican core philososy away from war mongering Neocons towards antiinterventionists libertarians.
    Seconding this. He is currently the only Republican that I actually like, and would maybe vote for him if he actually ran in 2012. The rest of them have a one-word rhetoric when it comes to economics and favor extremely regressive policies in the social and foreign policies.