User Tag List

First 89101112 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I wouldnt say that he's a tea bagger or anything as definite as that but he targetted the IRS for a reason, he didnt fly into an army base, ATF building or city hall, so the politicisation of taxation had something to do with his action here. It wasnt a coincidence, the guy didnt get through reading Marx or whatever and take to the skies and just ditch where ever his fuel ran out, you know?
    Army didn't screw him. ATF didn't screw him. City Hall didn't screw him. IRS did. The IRS, and the federal reserve for that matter, really have not been around for very long and have usually been overshadowed by wars (WWI, WWII, Cold War). There has been a slow but steady change ever since the Fed came into being, and only now is it being looked at.

Joe Stack's actions may not have been right, but they were a response. The same thing with the politicization of taxation and the Tea Parties.

Instead of making poor connections between isolated events and political movements, have you stopped to think why they started to begin with and what the root cause is. This is not a linear line of events, but a tree with many branches...

Also, using the term "Tea-bagger" is incredibly self-defeating and only serves to show how immature your assessment is.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    It could be a coincidence that during the exact same time we have this anti-tax and anti-government vitriol, that's never been this strong in years, that one person finally acted on that angst. Probably not though. The political environment plays a huge role in almost all political related attacks.

Right-wing extremism has been on the rise for about a year. And every week or so, some prominent person in the conservative movement has some violent "call to arms" remark. Lot's of references to revolution. So they are just feeding this paranoid mindset.

After the attack, Facebook actually had to take down a huge teabagger support group praising the act.

I'd quit while you're behind.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    STFU

its funny watching liberals gang up and generalize on conservatives like this. 6 years ago if this would have happened the same debate would have come up, just on opposite ends and with different sound bites than "tea bagger" etc. i guess the funny part is that these liberals don't seem to notice that they sound exactly like the conservatives during the bush era who ganged up on liberals when they opposed the war during the first half of it.

this was an isolated incident. i read the manifesto. it does not seem partisan, and that end of it doesn't matter anyways because it was a fucking isolated incident.
    "All authority of any kind, especially in the field of thought and understanding, is destructive and evil. Leaders destroy the followers and the followers destroy the leaders. You have to be your own teacher and your own disciple. You have to question everything that man has accepted as valuable, as necessary."
    -
    J.Krishnamurti

MBTI
    XXFP

A question

I read the note and check out his link, but I don't fully understand WHAT exactly the new IRS regulation in 1987 actually did. What was he exempted from based on his status as an independent contractor?

Much thanks if you can help me out here...
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    Also, using the term "Tea-bagger" is incredibly self-defeating and only serves to show how immature your assessment is.
    You'll go far.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

I can't believe people are still arguing over this guy's political views.

RIP Vernon Hunter.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I can't believe people are still arguing over this guy's political views.

RIP Vernon Hunter.

Seconded.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

thirded
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Swearing isnt going to do your cause any good, you're also not going to persuade anyone of your own position by being combative, dismissive, demeaning and degrading to your PERCEIVED opponents.

Seriously guys you know little or nothing about the people participating in the thread but you're quick to ascribe labels to them and get into a total rage, are you looking for validation from others or what?

Maybe it appears like people are "ganging up on" on view point, if they are its swings and round abouts, at one time one view is popular at another time another.

The reality is that this guy did respond to the politicisation of tax, he didnt think it was one of those things, instead he wrote a manifesto and flew a plane into the IRS!! So its not as if it has nothing what so ever to do with taxation or the politicos who hold that topic dear, loon or not. Granted that if you check back in the history books long enough you'd find hippies attacking munitions factories in the same fashion but then not as many Marxists tried to do a puntious pilot act at that stage.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    You'll go far.
    Using vulgar and profane sexual references in a serious political discussion as a matter of casual discourse. You sure have come far from 12 years old...