User Tag List

First 7891011 Last

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Lots of different things, one of those being that people will go into business for themselves.
    Doing what, exactly?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    Meh, chemicals is chemicals, no matter if they're developed from within the plant's genetic code, or applied externally. They're not good for you in the long run, but then again, in the long run, we're all dead.
    See what you mean. Are we re-committing the sins of the past by not properly considering the safety? It somehow seems more insidious to be mucking with the actual genetic code in plants. What about cross-breeding of engineered and non-engineered varieties? What are the long term impacts? I can stop using harmful chemicals. Sure, they stick around for a while. With plants though, the way we're changing things seems like it may have more of an irreversible impact. It's just that I'm not sure the full implications have been thought through.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Fecal McAngry View Post
    A lot of interesting stuff on the coming (well, it's here, actually, sort of) economic collapse of the U.S. at LewRockwell.com .
    So then what would you advocate an individual do? Invest in gold? The price is already quite high.

Whenever I get sucked into the doomsday scenario thinking, it always seems to turn out that those predictions are exaggerated. Things don't end up being as bad as you thought they would be. The economy turns out to be more resilient than you thought. The company you worked for that you think is going downhill not only survives but prospers.

It has taught me to moderate my thinking.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by highlander29 View Post
    So then what would you advocate an individual do? Invest in gold? The price is already quite high.

Whenever I get sucked into the doomsday scenario thinking, it always seems to turn out that those predictions are exaggerated. Things don't end up being as bad as you thought they would be. The economy turns out to be more resilient than you thought. The company you worked for that you think is going downhill not only survives but prospers.

It has taught me to moderate my thinking.
    Si vis pacem, para bellum.

Save for the rainy day, and nothing else. Never let an opportunity pass.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

You're using the term intellectual capital too strictly. I'm not talking about intellectual property. The term simply means, the US has a highly educated society (more comparable to Europe than Africa or large parts of Asia). That is valuable, too valuable for the US to deteriorate into a third world country.
    I doubt we'll be turning into a third world country.

The question though is to what extent the "highly educated society" in the US will turn out to be actual differentiation, as compared to other countries, and how this will translate to economic value.

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    ENFJ

What I've learned is that people really like making up doomsday scenarios. It's actually great fun.

I highly doubt that the United States will somehow transmute into a 3rd world country -- it seems more likely that it would be left behind and what we experience now will be 3rd world sometime in the future.

And anyway, Americans are remarkably clever at making money. I highly doubt they'll stop trying just because there's no jobs.

If you really like doomsday scenarios, it doesn't really matter because it will be all over in 2012 anyway.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by highlander29 View Post
    I doubt we'll be turning into a third world country.

The question though is to what extent the "highly educated society" in the US will turn out to be actual differentiation, as compared to other countries, and how this will translate to economic value.
    It's not just about skilled labor directly providing economic value. It's about the rule of law, which allows individuals to pursue their interests (rather than living in fear). The lack of a rule of law in many third world countries is a major contributor to their lack of stability.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Doing what, exactly?
    The same things they do now.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

The same things they do now.
    Like?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Like?
    I'm not going to give you an exhaustive list of human activities. Stop trying to waste my time.