User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Results 31 to 40 of 113

  1. #31
    it's tea time! Walking Tourist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram
    7
    Posts
    1,452

    Default

    Halla74: For those who think the U.S.A. is a bad place to live, and a horrible nation, and a sinking ship I offer you the following: (1) Kiss my a$$, (2) If you live here and think that way, please leave, we don't need you...

    Walking Tourist: Well, I think that the U.S.A. is a very annoying place to live. Mass transit in most areas is mediocre to terrible, roads and cities are designed for cars and not pedestrians, the best health care goes to the highest bidder, and the government is out of control with pointless wars. Do I think that the U.S.A. is a bad place to live and a horrible nation? No, despite all of those flaws mentioned above, I think that there is hope for us. There is always hope as long as there is life. We can do better. We don't have to fight pointless wars and we don't have to stockpile weapons of mass destruction. We can have a government that puts its people first, rather than its large corporations. But change of that magnitude takes work, not just electing a guy who promises "change that we can believe in" and then delivers more of the status quo.
    And, yes, I have thought about emigrating to a more pleasant country. But emigrating is hard work. Other countries have pretty tough immigration standards, too.
    So I guess that I'll just stay here and continue to work toward the day when we have a government that backs up its pro-human rights words with action (preferably nonviolent). (That is a challenge to me because focusing on the future does not come naturally to me.)
    Also, I'm still waiting for bullet trains and "people movers"!
    I'm a little teapot, short and stout. Here is my handle and here is my spout. Every time I steam up, I give a shout. Just tip me over and pour me out.

  2. #32
    Artisan Conquerer Halla74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,927

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Walking Tourist View Post
    Halla74: For those who think the U.S.A. is a bad place to live, and a horrible nation, and a sinking ship I offer you the following: (1) Kiss my a$$, (2) If you live here and think that way, please leave, we don't need you...

    Walking Tourist: Well, I think that the U.S.A. is a very annoying place to live. Mass transit in most areas is mediocre to terrible, roads and cities are designed for cars and not pedestrians, the best health care goes to the highest bidder, and the government is out of control with pointless wars. Do I think that the U.S.A. is a bad place to live and a horrible nation? No, despite all of those flaws mentioned above, I think that there is hope for us. There is always hope as long as there is life. We can do better. We don't have to fight pointless wars and we don't have to stockpile weapons of mass destruction. We can have a government that puts its people first, rather than its large corporations. But change of that magnitude takes work, not just electing a guy who promises "change that we can believe in" and then delivers more of the status quo.
    And, yes, I have thought about emigrating to a more pleasant country. But emigrating is hard work. Other countries have pretty tough immigration standards, too.
    So I guess that I'll just stay here and continue to work toward the day when we have a government that backs up its pro-human rights words with action (preferably nonviolent). (That is a challenge to me because focusing on the future does not come naturally to me.)
    Also, I'm still waiting for bullet trains and "people movers"!
    Home is what you make of it.

    There are good people everywhere, and there are annoying people everywhere.

    Who you associate with and how you deal with those that you do not care for in your proximity are up to you, that is your responsibility.

    The grass is always greener on the other side of the pasture. You know why? Because there is alot of shit on the other side of the pasture, that's why.

    I'll bet you would become disenchanted whereever you emigrated to quicker than you might expect.

    A rolling stone gathers no moss. If you move to a new nation, you start over 100%. Your education and professional experience are valued at a rate commensurate with the current configuration and state of that nation's economy. You have little or no social or professional contacts, and thus a very limited support network.

    I took care of a co-worker of mine 5 years ago when he had a stroke here in town, and no family anywhere near him, they were in Iceland, and his parents (one of which was dying) were 5 hours away and could not travel to see him. Things like that happen. There is novelty to being a stranger in a strange land, I know, I've played that role many times throughout my life, but there are also inherent risks.

    I'm half German, half my family lives over there, but there is no way I would move over there now in the middle of my career, as it would set me back tremendously in many ways. Think twice before you jump ship.

    There's nothing wrong with loving your country, and being suspicious of your government. I'm an American. I'm proud to be an American. If you are not, that is your business.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

    Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

  3. #33
    Dreaming the life onemoretime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    4,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gerbah View Post
    Sorry highlander, but the US government is the one buying a lot of its own debt, i.e. "quantitative easing". It's not the only one doing it. Everyone's printing money like crazy. We are all stuck in an essentially flawed system that benefits the 1% elite of the planet. That China has on top of it started selling off USD acquired in the past makes it worse but who can blame them.

    That the US buys its own debt is clear. But there are analysts who even say that now the US government has changed the rules so that it can buy its own debt but claim that the buyers are foreign. It is all very murky though and it's hard to know what any government is really doing.
    You say this like it's a bad thing. You get to pay off you own debt while preventing the shocks the overt process would engender, sparing the world from global economic calamity. Seems to me a win-win.

  4. #34
    Artisan Conquerer Halla74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,927

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    You say this like it's a bad thing. You get to pay off you own debt while preventing the shocks the overt process would engender, sparing the world from global economic calamity. Seems to me a win-win.
    Yep, I missed identifying the treachery in buying our own debt too.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

    Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

  5. #35
    Administrator highlander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni
    Posts
    17,899

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gerbah View Post
    Sorry highlander, but the US government is the one buying a lot of its own debt, i.e. "quantitative easing". It's not the only one doing it. Everyone's printing money like crazy. We are all stuck in an essentially flawed system that benefits the 1% elite of the planet. That China has on top of it started selling off USD acquired in the past makes it worse but who can blame them.

    That the US buys its own debt is clear. But there are analysts who even say that now the US government has changed the rules so that it can buy its own debt but claim that the buyers are foreign. It is all very murky though and it's hard to know what any government is really doing.



    I see the silver lining as being that at least with this crisis the corruption everywhere is being more exposed to the average citizen of the planet. So we can either open our eyes to the ugly truth and try to take control of the inevitable change to come when the system is reset, or the power elites reset it for us and give us something worse.
    It seems that human behavior is predictable. What does history tell us will happen?

    Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

    Tri-type 639

  6. #36
    Administrator highlander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni
    Posts
    17,899

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    Regardless of what issues this country has, nowhere else in the world can a man with a good work ethic, some smarts, and some luck go from ZERO to HERO, as easily or quickly as is possible here.
    This seems to be at the heart of the American spirit.

    Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

    Tri-type 639

  7. #37
    Artisan Conquerer Halla74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,927

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by highlander29 View Post
    This seems to be at the heart of the American spirit.
    Indeed, and one of our nations' greatest strengths, and something to be optimistic about.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

    Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

  8. #38
    Senior Member Feops's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    INTx
    Posts
    829

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by highlander29 View Post
    Holy moses Am I ignoring the good things above?

    Where is the silver lining?
    It's not a doomsday scenario. I'm just predicting that america will have their clout erorded some in the coming decades as countries more carefully consider the virtues of diversification.

  9. #39
    pathwise dependent FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj
    Posts
    5,908

    Default

    In 50 years finance will probably (hopefully) be reduced to what is strictly necessary to manage and/or avoid risk ever-present in the real economy, thus the fluctuations in the economy will be much smaller. Can't really try to predict any other bullet point, too far from my area of knowledge.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

  10. #40
    pathwise dependent FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj
    Posts
    5,908

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    Yep, I missed identifying the treachery in buying our own debt too.
    Creates excessive inflation, erodes the value of savings. Btw Gerbah was saying that the FED & government are buying the debt, not the citizens (the latter case would be totally OK of course)
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Similar Threads

  1. Y: What is the future of our youth?
    By lightsun in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-11-2011, 08:35 AM
  2. What is the craziest bit of technology you have read about in SF?
    By macjoven in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-14-2009, 08:15 PM
  3. What is the purpose of Law?
    By The_Liquid_Laser in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 44
    Last Post: 08-03-2008, 10:51 PM
  4. What is the purpose of Science Fiction?
    By The Ü™ in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 03-04-2008, 06:53 PM
  5. What is the point of the MBTI?
    By Dufresne in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-31-2007, 04:37 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO