User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    We're more like old Poland, slowly strangling ourselves with procedure.
    Interesting analogy - care to explain?

I agree that the Rome analogy is absurdly overused, and in many ways could be a sign of a lack of true historical insight. Although it does confirm how almost every Western superpower since the Carologian Empire has tried to claim the mantle of successor to the Roman legacy. Even a non-western power like Russia tried claiming itself as the "Third Rome".

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

With the rise of China and India, I predict the US will become a little more Europeanized and more allied with other Western nations in the future, to make a more unified counter balance to new Asian powers. The politics of the US are already shifting to a more progressive and secular European model, and as the baby boomers die out, it will only increase. Maybe even a unified currency with the US and EU, or an Amero will happen. The dollar will be around for a while longer, but dollar fundamentalism probably isn't smart. If you're on a sinking ship, you don't stay on it.

MBTI
    INTP

The Rome analogy might not be the best. I like the Britain analogy more, but it's more of a best-case scenario than a forecast. I hope to see the US sort of age gracefully like the UK, give up on world domination and just be a nice place to like that minds its own business.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Interesting analogy - care to explain?

I agree that the Rome analogy is absurdly overused, and in many ways could be a sign of a lack of true historical insight. Although it does confirm how almost every Western superpower since the Carologian Empire has tried to claim the mantle of successor to the Roman legacy. Even a non-western power like Russia tried claiming itself as the "Third Rome".
    Liberum veto - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If anything will spell ruin for the USA, it's going to be something inherent in the system. The system doesn't really allow for much change, only to put band-aid on top of band-aid, and when it all falls off in the shower we're going to find that need stitches. If we can't agree which way to stitch, we'll be in big trouble.

He who hesitates is lost.

Then again, we might be able to handle it. Look at Britain, they handled gradualism okay.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Sniffles

Interesting. I'll have to address this argument further at another time.

Ginkgo

According to Happeh Theory, we will die by masturbation. The imbalance of the human body will force us to integrate counterweights in our automobiles; thus damaging our fuel efficiency. Once we are void of fuel, we will go and masturbate in other countries. And so the cycle continues.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YArnxqbj4RA&feature=related"]Happeh Theory[/YOUTUBE]

Either that, or we will all die of asphyxiation like hamsters.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Amero :yim_rolling_on_the_ That sounds great
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

I dont know how it will happen but the need to create jobs, to create taxpayers, to continue the circulation of money in the economy will require state investment in services, whether that'll be health and social services or education (like in Europe) or police and militarism (which is more the norm, at least since WW2) remains to be seen.

The US will remain the world financier, even if developing nations like China are financing deficit spending to keep the economy ticking over. However, what kind of reforms will be enacted or changes in culture achieved to address the "over selling" of "pop capitalism" which made the "no consequences" and narrowly selfish and strategic lending practices which pitched the economy into crisis remains to be seen.

So long as the US remains premier nation economic fixes will be found. I believe it will because no state in the world wants to challenge the US directly, militarily, not even Russia who settles for menacing the EU, UK and Eastern European countries friendly towards the EU or energy policies that Moscow doesnt like.

MBTI
    SEXY

- The future role of the US in the world economy

Currently decreasing rapidly compared to China, India and even the EU. Will balance out within 10 years, but only if the US will stop consuming and spending like idiots.

- Value of the dollar

The dollar is an economic bubble, the biggest one ever. It's overpriced because of speculation and it's value is maintained by the fact that nobody wants the dollar to collapse because that would be bad for every one who has dollars (IE, everybody). However, should something go wrong I think even the Papiermark would be a reasonable alternative again.

- Distance between haves and have nots

Don't really understand what you mean with this one, but if it's about the level of wealth in general, I'd say it won't get that much worse compared to what the US has now, but it will be much worse compared to the rest of the world, or to put it differently, development will stop in the US.

- Globalization of the workforce

I don't think this will dramatically change.

- The service economy

America will just not be able to compete on a global scale (take GM as an production oriented example right now). But like I said before, I don't think the standards of living will decrease dramatically compared to the current situation.

- The deficit

Already astronomical and completely financed by the fact that everybody is still buying dollars. When people stop buying dollars other nations just wont loan any more money to the US and the nation will be forced to restructure entirely to be able to afford itself.
    (removed)

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    So long as the US remains premier nation economic fixes will be found. I believe it will because no state in the world wants to challenge the US directly, militarily, not even Russia who settles for menacing the EU, UK and Eastern European countries friendly towards the EU or energy policies that Moscow doesnt like.
    But the US can't operate its military if it has no money. Once China and everyone else dump their USD and USD is worthless, America won't be able to finance anything. In the end, it's only one country.

It seems to have already started. I read an article today that China has just sold over 34 billion of its USD holdings and Japan has sold 11.5 billion.
    the shoheen ho of the wind of the west and the lulla lo of the soft sea billow - Alfred Graves