User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

Thumbs up Nazis stopped in Dresden

Couple of days old but still a good example antifascists in all Europe can learn from.

More than 10,000 protesters stopped a Neo-Nazi march to remember victims of the allied air raid 65 years ago in Dresden. The Neo-Nazis had gathered at Dresden's Neustadt station, the Anti-Neo-Nazi protesters stopped the march with sit-in-demonstrations in the streets around the station. Dresden, Germany. 13/02/2010.

The Neo-Nazis had gathered at Dresden's Neustadt station, the Anti-Neo-Nazi protesters stopped the march with sit-in-demonstrations in the streets around the station.

German neo-Nazi protest blocked by opposition

At least 10,000 Germans formed a human chain in Dresden on Saturday and stopped neo-Nazis staging a funeral march to remember victims of the Allied air raid that flattened the city 65 years ago.

The anti-neo-Nazi protesters, who turned out despite freezing temperatures, stopped the far-right sympathizers from getting into the town centre.

"Stopping the Nazi march was a great success for the Nazi Free Alliance Dresden," said Alliance spokeswoman Lena Roth.

"It wasn't easy there were people injured in Nazi attacks and it was horribly cold, but it was worth it," she said.

Police reported isolated clashes between the two sides and at one point the 5,000-strong police force, with reinforcements drafted in from across Germany, used water cannons.

A spokesman said officers had made seven arrests but the violence police had feared appeared to have been avoided after organizers declared the far-right gathering over in the late afternoon and supporters gradually dispersed.

About 5,000 neo-Nazis gathered in the eastern city of Dresden on Saturday to stage a provocative funeral march remembering German victims of the Allied air raid that flattened the baroque city 65 years ago.

In the past few years, the Feb. 13 anniversary of the destruction of Dresden, in which 25,000 people were killed, has become a focus for neo-Nazis who describe the blanket bombardment as a "bombing Holocaust".

At Dresden's Neustadt station, where trains packed with Jews departed for the Auschwitz concentration camp, several hundred neo-Nazis, clad all in black, gathered.

Some held pre-war German flags and a voice shouting "Strength and Honor" blasted out of loudspeakers.
    "We are gathered here to remember one of the biggest war crimes of World War Two," Kai Pfuerstinger, deputy head of the JLO Youth Corps East Germany far-right group, told the crowd.

A debate about whether breaking public morale through the wave of raids was justifiable has rumbled since the bombing, which started on the night of Feb. 13, 1945, and flattened the city. The defeat of Hitler's Nazis was imminent.

The attacks, by British and US bombers, used incendiary bombs which created an inferno that ripped through streets, burning and melting people and buildings alike.

Although a mainstream debate has taken place in the past few years about the extent to which Germans can view themselves as victims of a war they were responsible for, there is little sympathy for the views of militaristic neo-Nazis groups.

"Feb. 13, the day of the bombardment of Dresden, is abused by the right as a myth of sacrifice," said Wolfhart Goll of the Nazi Free Alliance in Dresden.

"It is important that we stand up against the Nazis. We want to stop the march and take the fun out of if for them so they don't come back."

Dresden has only in the last decade been restored to its former glory, complete with its trove of cultural treasures.

Senior politicians from Dresden and the state of Saxony and a representative of the Central Council of Jews laid wreaths at a cemetery where the victims of the bombardment are remembered.

Some good pictures here Protesters stop Neo-Nazi march in Dresden | Demotix.com
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

-Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

MBTI
    NICE

And highly commendable.

What poses the greater danger: Fascism from the past or bombs from the past?

It's a no-brainer.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    NICE

MBTI
    ENTP

The issue with Deresden was that the allies bombed citizens not military targets. It happened and pilots of the day were shamed by it.

My dad was a WWII lancaser pilot and at some poitn he had to drop bombs on the way back from Berlin, effectively bombing refugees citizens evaluating themselves from the city... he had this on his consious till he died (acording to one of my bros).

So it's not like the allied forces were particularly up for Desden.

As for protests now they would have a point if they simply commemorated the dead rather than practice Nazi hatred. Besides who are the shaking their fists at in this day and age... old men who are near death

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    -1w sp/sx
    Socionics
    IOU Ni

Really really glad to see that. Allegedly some of the officials were worrisome because they expected violent clashs with left-extremist counter protesters. Good to see it turned out the way it did.
    And good that the people who showed courage in a non-violent fashion receive attention.
    IN SERIO FATVITAS.

-τὸ γὰρ γράμμα ἀποκτέννει, τὸ δὲ πνεῦμα ζῳοποιεῖ-

MBTI
    NICE

The point was that the locals saw the tu quoque argument and decided to tell the neo-nazis to fuck off.

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbell View Post
    The issue with Deresden was that the allies bombed citizens not military targets. It happened and pilots of the day were shamed by it.

My dad was a WWII lancaser pilot and at some poitn he had to drop bombs on the way back from Berlin, effectively bombing refugees citizens evaluating themselves from the city... he had this on his consious till he died (acording to one of my bros).

So it's not like the allied forces were particularly up for Desden.

As for protests now they would have a point if they simply commemorated the dead rather than practice Nazi hatred. Besides who are the shaking their fists at in this day and age... old men who are near death
    Well as BT said, the issue was about saying no to a Nazi protest which simply wanted to use the "commemoration" of the bombing victims as cover. Such a "protest" would in fact only serve to terrorize their targets today (Turks, Eastern Europeans, trade unionists, leftists, etc.) and in no way be an "honour" to the dead.

As the article said, the anti-fascist protesters did lay a wreath commemorating the victims of the bombing, so this wasn't the issue.
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

-Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I still can't believe "Neo-nazi" isn't just a joking term.. what a bunch of morons. Good for the citizens to stand up to all those fucks.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    ESFJ

The Neo-Nazis would have won if they had sent this squadron:

Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"