User Tag List

12311 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Default Over Half of Self-Identified Republicans Unsure if Obama was Born in US (and more!)

This poll of 2,000 self-identified Republicans has produced some rather startling results.

Do you believe Barack Obama was born in the United States, or not?

Yes 42
    No 36
    Not Sure 22

Do you believe Barack Obama wants the terrorists to win?

Yes 24
    No 43
    Not Sure 33

Really guys? Over half of self-identified Republicans aren't sure if Obama is actively scheming to promote terrorism? Really?

Do you believe Barack Obama is a racist who hates White people?

Yes 31
    No 36
    Not Sure 33

Really guys?

Should openly gay men and women be allowed to teach in public schools?

Yes 8
    No 73
    Not Sure 19

Should public school students be taught that the book of Genesis in the Bible explains how God created the world?

Yes 77
    No 15
    Not Sure 8

And on and on and on...so I have to wonder what percentage of Americans actually self-identify as Republicans. One estimate I read said it's as low as 21% now, which is interesting, and at least a little bit reassuring that maybe most of the country isn't this fucking crazy.

If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

42% of the research participants are from the South, do you think that may have contributed to some of the findings?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by ubiquitous1 View Post
    42% of the research participants are from the South, do you think that may have contributed to some of the findings?
    42% is less than a majority. What's your point?

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

When the world is only 6,000 years old and you think the Rapture is going to happen within your lifetime.... pretty much anything seems possible.

It would be an awesome conspiracy though. Planting the fake newspaper announcements in Hawaii at the time of Obama's birth, fake birth certificate.... all just to get a Muslim Kenyan in the White House. How'd they know he'd eventually become President?! Great foresight.

The South has the densest concentration of Republicans. It makes sense that 42% would be from the South, out of the 4 main regions of the US, in the poll.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

That's crazy!

I've spent time talking to US conservatives online, at least fiscal conservatives, and they are not crazy but I just dont know how, whatever way you cut it, that you want to support a party which could be making policy on the basis of views like that.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

I think a lot fewer people are self-identifying as Republicans these days. These frightening numbers reflect the fact that the Republican party has lost most of the non-crazy base it used to have.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    That's crazy!

I've spent time talking to US conservatives online, at least fiscal conservatives, and they are not crazy but I just dont know how, whatever way you cut it, that you want to support a party which could be making policy on the basis of views like that.
    Keep in mind that currently, only 20% of Americans self-indentify as Republican. So the far-right Republican fringe is being more well represented. While moderates and center-right people have phased out of the party in recent years.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    I think a lot fewer people are self-identifying as Republicans these days. These frightening numbers reflect the fact that the Republican party has lost most of the non-crazy base it used to have.
    Badda-bing.

I do believe the number of registered Republicans hit all time low recently (don't have figures on hand). It might be going back hope, with the slow return of confidence in the party, but it's still not enough to tell.

Indeed, the peope exodus are more likely to be moderate, thus as the party shrinks, it's average beliefs become more and more fanatical.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    enfp

on my facebook, i seen a bunch of Republicans switch parties recently, after they saw the Barack vs. Republican debates. They said that they felt that the Republican party just makes issues based on fear, and that direct confrontation with Barack and the GOP made them realize that they are with the wrong party.

kind of crazy. one of them was a pastor, these are die hard Christians who update their facebook with biblical updates all the time.

I don't think people realize how incredible of a thing Barack is doing by having these people switch their minds.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    The South has the densest concentration of Republicans. It makes sense that 42% would be from the South, out of the 4 main regions of the US, in the poll.
    Richard Nixon first employed the "Southern Strategy" in the 1960 presidential campaign. The ultimate outcome of that Devil's bargain is a majority-white Southern regional party.

If the poll demographics are accurate then the Republican party is also literally dying: the 18-29 age bracket is only 9%, while the largest age bracket is 60+, at 37%.

Much of the GOP's appeal is based on intolerance, and intolerance is a tougher sell with young people, thank goodness.