veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    That was more a backlash against the over-hype of Obama in 2008, resulting in his fall from grace a year later because he couldn't redeem mankind.

Pendulum swings, dear.
    if it goes too far in one direction, it's going to swing back the other way.

Even moderates got sick of the overhype.

What is being discussed in this thread is longer-term movement.
    Could you be more condescending, please? This post just wasn't enough. You forgot to add "Now run along back to your cave" at the end.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Because populist political movements end up appealing to lowest common denominator.

You end up with inanity like this:

Yeah, but she's pretty hot, so the impact of her tripe is easily reduced if you just turn the volume down.

Speaking of populism . . .

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    Yeah, but she's pretty hot, so the impact of her tripe is easily reduced if you just turn the volume down.

Speaking of populism . . .

Nothing a good punch in the face won't cure! /populist

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by TrueHeart View Post
    What position? lol
    Your position that those elections are evidence that the Republican party isn't dying. The Republicans only won because the Democrats put forth terrible candidates (or executed terrible campaigns), not because the extreme Republican ideology is gaining momentum.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    Could you be more condescending, please? This post just wasn't enough. You forgot to add "Now run along back to your cave" at the end.
    You have to realize you're responding to someone who used to consider themselves a Republican (not a life-long hardcore Democrat). Instead of getting offended, you should honestly consider why a former Republican would feel this way. It's in your best interest.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    Jeffster, remember your comments in other threads about how you claim to "just read what is there" and how people shouldn't read into things? How we should take people at face value? And how frustrated you were if people "read things into your comments you didn't think/feel"?

I didn't feel any condescension when I wrote it.
    The word "dear" was actually good-natured; I guess the tone was lost in written text.
    I hope this clarifies what I meant.

In any case, I was surprised to see this comment from you, so far was it from my original intent. Apparently you are reading a lot into my comments.

Which leads me to say:
    1. Either you've inappropriately castigated me and you should correct that; or
    2. Your general ideas and argument about "not reading into things" and complaining when people misread you are entirely unrealistic and you need to rethink THAT whole argument of yours...

For the record, I never ever thought someone should "get back to their cave" nor anything similar.

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    You have to realize you're responding to someone who used to consider themselves a Republican (not a life-long hardcore Democrat). Instead of getting offended, you should honestly consider why a former Republic would feel this way. It's in your best interest.
    Well, there is that.

I was a Republican all my life, until the whole election mess of 2004... where I was just so sick of Repub rhetoric and bs bombarding me that when PennDOT asked me if I wanted to change party affiliation, I said "hell, yeah." I no longer identified with that party and needed to get out; the ones I was surrounded with had all become religious and cultural zealots.

Bush was the only Republican presidential nominee I have never voted for when I was a member of that party.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?

Admittedly it did sound slightly condescending with the word choices, even though they weren't intended that way. I think it could've gone 50/50 either way and we're just conditioned to the worse of the two as the expectation =3

That being said, can I tell them to go to their cave? I don't believe the statement but it's just soooooooo tempting now that it's taboo to say it!

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Here is an article written by a conservative on the issue if you care:

Is Conservatism Brain-Dead?

That is, if you care.
    That certainly is all true, but I would add that American politics altogether(Conservative or Liberal) is brain-dead.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Your position that those elections are evidence that the Republican party isn't dying. The Republicans only won because the Democrats put forth terrible candidates (or executed terrible campaigns), not because the extreme Republican ideology is gaining momentum.
    Because you say so? Um... okay.

P.S. Had I clicked on the original link, I wouldn't have bothered posting on this thread: Daily Kos is an open, festering sewer of "extreme Democratic ideology"; I think the chance is just about zero that any view of Republicans, no matter how polled by whom, put forth there is anywhere near accurate: pollsters now how to please their customers. (But I distrust polls in general.)

P.P.S. I am not a Republican.
    "There can be no understanding between the hands and the head unless the heart acts as mediator." (Metropolis, 1927)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    That was more a backlash against the over-hype of Obama in 2008, resulting in his fall from grace a year later because he couldn't redeem mankind.

Pendulum swings, dear.
    if it goes too far in one direction, it's going to swing back the other way.

Even moderates got sick of the overhype.

What is being discussed in this thread is longer-term movement.
    Ho-kay. If all y'all say so.
    "There can be no understanding between the hands and the head unless the heart acts as mediator." (Metropolis, 1927)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]