User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Ginkgo

Default Pics, or It Didn't Happen

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    I personally would love to understand them. The thing is, they're never actually explained. They're just repeated over and over as if they're obvious truth.

For example, my main question for "birthers" would be this: What would convince you that Obama was born here? What sort of proof would you need? After all, he's already provided his birth certificate and everything.

p.s. I want to know the percentage of "birthers" who don't believe that Hawaii is part of the Union. I read somewhere that a lot of people seem to think that.
    Those who don't believe the conception of Christ demand "Pics, or it didn't happen". Those who don't believe the conception of Obama demand "Pics, or it didn't happen". Those who don't believe the conception of something erroneous online demand "Pics, or it didn't happen". Now you understand the universal sentiment of skepticism.

Of course, since photo-alteration is spread wide across the world and the internet, pics are no longer reliable. This is why we must be lulled into a state of complacency before we can quickly accept a concept inside-out and outside-in; which is precisely what television does by whimsically weaving between fantasy and reality until we can't distinguish any longer. Why, just the other day I saw an ad for Fox News: "Fair and Balanced". What a convoluted slogan. I nearly fell out of my seat.

But sometimes willing curiosity prevails - the curiosity to actively study to unearth what lies at the heart of a person's claim. I will tell you this: Numbers and statistics lie. Have you read this book sim? You discover the truth by first deducing what is untrue. It would seem that statistics such as yours tend to stockpile contrived
    evidence. Discard them and stop razing a ruckus. Mirror my book link to everyone you know. Even the review is satiable enough.

ps- I'm so sorry if I sound like Victor.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    People can be at least two or three of those, like Al-Qaeda. Obama isn't really any of those, although he LOVES Big Government and Big Business, and those are two main ingredients for fascism.
    what????? I think you're seeing more similarity than is note worthy. Obviously political systems have things in common (the political system part ). But come on (in my best peter griffin voice). Nazism fed big business in ways the soviet hammer and sickle simply didnt. An islamic theocracy is like the z axis on an entirely different plain of existence. The hippy symbol: yes Pure, we are going to have a fascist state of hippy-ism ...

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    I think this is a very arrogant sentiment. You assume that one cannot use critical thinking to arrive at the positions taken by members of the Christian Coalition simply because you don't agree or understand them.
    No, I know they no longer value critical thinking. It's all populist demagoguery now.

One could arrive at their positions (based on flawed premises) with critical thinking, but that's not the name of the game anymore.

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    He's right, you cannot arrive at many of those positions by using critical thinking. That's part of the problem with the Republican party. It's anti-intellectual.
    If I thought that was really true, I might become a Republican. I'm proud to be anti-intellectual.

I personally would love to understand them. The thing is, they're never actually explained. They're just repeated over and over as if they're obvious truth.

For example, my main question for "birthers" would be this: What would convince you that Obama was born here? What sort of proof would you need? After all, he's already provided his birth certificate and everything.

p.s. I want to know the percentage of "birthers" who don't believe that Hawaii is part of the Union. I read somewhere that a lot of people seem to think that.
    Your example has nothing to do with what I was talking about, so why did you quote me? Unless you are also making the mistake of lumping all people who oppose Obama as being the same people? There may be some overlap between people who are in the Christian Coalition with so-called "birthers" but they really don't have anything to do with each other, and I wasn't talking about the stupid "where was Obama born?" stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    No, I know they no longer value critical thinking. It's all populist demagoguery now.

One could arrive at their positions (based on flawed premises) with critical thinking, but that's not the name of the game anymore.
    Who is "they" specifically? It seems you want to be purposefully vague so that no one can refute you. It's all "trust me, I just know, they don't do this." Well, I call BS.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    ENFJ

If I thought that was really true, I might become a Republican. I'm proud to be anti-intellectual.
    I think maybe we should define "anti-intellectual".
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    A person who opposes intellectuals? Not necessarily a person who opposes intellect or the acquisition of knowledge. Perhaps he is just mocking them in their own territory of generalized ideology.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram

Thomas Sowell just wrote an insightful book on this very topic.

I agree with him. Intellectuals are overrated.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Obviously this show is edited for humor impact, but the content of the comments later in the clip by some the Repub delegates out in Hawaii are just they appear to be, they're using blatant circular reasoning and have no idea what underlies their ideas... if anything.

I hate it when people from ANY party talks like this... and then use it as a basis for VEHEMENT disagreement and casting dirt on other people's morality. You gotta be able to say why you believe what you believe and tie it to something tangible; otherwise you really need to be taking a far more softer tact.

(PS. It's a trap.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I can't think of a single anti-intellectual movement in history that wasn't harmful to the people that harbored it.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

No one idea what you mean by this.

For me, I wouldn't want to be an arrogant intellectual.
    But I also wouldn't want to be an ignorant schmuck.

Both are just knee-jerk extremist positions to complex situations that either is far too lazy to actually engage.

Your example has nothing to do with what I was talking about, so why did you quote me? Unless you are also making the mistake of lumping all people who oppose Obama as being the same people? There may be some overlap between people who are in the Christian Coalition with so-called "birthers" but they really don't have anything to do with each other, and I wasn't talking about the stupid "where was Obama born?" stuff.
    His tone was pretty genial. I think it was a general question, and you happen to be one of a few at least partially defending a view that aligns with more Repub sentiments, so maybe that's why it felt directed at you.

And honestly, you stepped in to defend the Moral Majority and Christian Coalition? They're really, uh, extremist ... and I know that's not a hill I'D be willing to die defending....

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Maybe.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft