User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Results 31 to 40 of 117

  1. #31
    veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    6,727

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Unfortunately, this is what eventually happens when you court groups like the "Moral Majority" and "Christian Coalition" to win elections. Eventually they become your base and critical thinking (which used to be a major component of conservatism like during the National Review's heyday) goes right out the window. Easier to wind people up emotionally with conspiracy theories and tea bags.
    I think this is a very arrogant sentiment. You assume that one cannot use critical thinking to arrive at the positions taken by members of the Christian Coalition simply because you don't agree or understand them.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

    "I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

    The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

  2. #32
    ^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp
    Posts
    13,909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    I would be willing to let the swastika stand in for various types of fascist political systems.
    I believe you've already illustrated the reason I disagree. Al-Quaeda doesn't really wan't big business and big government.
    Go to sleep, iguana.


    _________________________________
    INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right

  3. #33
    Senior Member JHBowden's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3
    Posts
    201

    Default

    This poll is obviously biased. It says that only 63% of my fellow Republicans believe Obama is a socialist.

    I simply will not believe that 37% of the GOP can be this misinformed.


  4. #34
    Senior Member lowtech redneck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    3,705

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by htb View Post
    To the OP: more than a third of polled Democrats could qualify as Truthers (note which poll this survey was in response to). How well-adjusted!
    Thank you, htb, you saved me the trouble.

  5. #35
    Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    7,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JHBowden View Post
    This poll is obviously biased. It says that only 63% of my fellow Republicans believe Obama is a socialist.

    I simply will not believe that 37% of the GOP can be this misinformed.

    oh, lol. I thought your avatar was a joke, guess not.

  6. #36
    Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    7,917

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Honestly, I'm tired of politics. I think everything gets polarized and then the conversations become useless. Mostly we're arguing about base assumptions on the best way to fix the problems the country faces, and we're all different, with different assumptions, and so we're just going to disagree; but then extremists push the public debate into make really silly claims about the motivations and ethical nature of the Enemy du Jour.
    Things like the abolition of slavery and giving more people voting rights were the result of ugly and vicious back-and-forth hyper partisan politics all over the world, and it couldn't have happened any other way.

    The more free and independent the society, the more everyone is going to disagree on the correct courses of action, so all major solutions and change have to enter the bloodthirsty chamber of politics. In a totalitarian state, open political debate doesn't exist.

    So really, we shouldn't hate the game, but the players.

  7. #37
    Senior Member Lateralus's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Posts
    6,276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    I think this is a very arrogant sentiment. You assume that one cannot use critical thinking to arrive at the positions taken by members of the Christian Coalition simply because you don't agree or understand them.
    He's right, you cannot arrive at many of those positions by using critical thinking. That's part of the problem with the Republican party. It's anti-intellectual.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

  8. #38
    respect the brick C.J.Woolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    424

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Why would it be "claiming" to be independents, if they really aren't members of the GOP?
    A lot of self-identified independents vote Republican, else the GOP wouldn't win any elections. Of course you can say the same about "independents" who vote Democratic.

  9. #39
    this is my winter song EJCC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx
    Posts
    18,432

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    I think this is a very arrogant sentiment. You assume that one cannot use critical thinking to arrive at the positions taken by members of the Christian Coalition simply because you don't agree or understand them.
    I personally would love to understand them. The thing is, they're never actually explained. They're just repeated over and over as if they're obvious truth.

    For example, my main question for "birthers" would be this: What would convince you that Obama was born here? What sort of proof would you need? After all, he's already provided his birth certificate and everything.

    p.s. I want to know the percentage of "birthers" who don't believe that Hawaii is part of the Union. I read somewhere that a lot of people seem to think that.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~


    EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"



    ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

  10. #40
    Ginkgo
    Guest

    Default

    This is off topic, but I love how provocative simulatedworld's thread titles are. They're always fixed to force you to elucidate the content of his material. It almost makes you want to call "bullshit" at first. Of course, it's intended for a specific crowd.

    I will say that Hitler was a part of a "socialist" party. He also promised peace. He was also a fascist.

    When our representatives represent multiple viewpoints, this means that they are politicians. As politicians, they compromise to appease multiple people. However, as any of us, they're only protecting their best interests to survive.

    But who really cares? The GOP makes these claims like "Obama was born in Kenya", or "Obama is a communist who's going to resurrect the Zyclon B and gas all white people" because they feel the need to cling to the last shreds of self-preservation they have. In other words, in order to protect yourself, you assault the other.

    Just as this thread clings to Democratic self-preservation as Obama recycles Bush's agenda in a counterfeited "hope" for a better tomorrow.

Similar Threads

  1. Over half of psychology studies fail reproducibility test
    By Vasilisa in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 09-08-2015, 01:50 AM
  2. Poll: Nearly Half of Republicans Say Trump is Hurting GOP's Image
    By Hard in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 08-09-2015, 12:47 PM
  3. if you were born in 1982, 1983 or 1984...
    By miss fortune in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-07-2013, 02:17 PM
  4. Most Republicans not sure/doubt Obama was born in US
    By ajblaise in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: 08-13-2009, 04:19 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO