First 12345 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    So there's only one "reasonable" answer to questions and everybody who disagrees with you is "crazy?" I see.
    Well, it depends on the question. When it comes to things like, "Was Obama born in the US?", "Does Obama want the terrorists to win?", or "Should your state secede from the union?", yes, there is only one reasonable answer.

I'll grant you that some of the other questions are more up to debate, like immigration or abortion. But some of these questions really don't have more than one reasonable answer--if you think Obama is actively plotting to promote terrorism against the US, you have to be a fucking idiot.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

heart on fire

Folks, there are people who really believe if you send the chain letter to 25 people something really good is gonna happen to you. (We all know them too.)

Polls like this, regardless of the political party they are on, do not surprise me.

Saw this pic recently.. Random, but sort of related (to Republican paranoia)

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    Well, when it comes to certain (factual) things, yes.

There are certainly "creative" answers to these questions, but if people were answering them based on the conventional meanings of the questions and gave non-factual answers, you could assume a break with reality.
    But really the only one of those that is a factual question is whether Obama was born in the US. The others are all opinion questions, even if a couple of them call for almost impossible conjecture (like the "Obama hates white people" one.)

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    Well, it depends on the question. When it comes to things like, "Was Obama born in the US?", "Does Obama want the terrorists to win?", or "Should your state secede from the union?", yes, there is only one reasonable answer.

I'll grant you that some of the other questions are more up to debate, like immigration or abortion. But some of these questions really don't have more than one reasonable answer--if you think Obama is actively plotting to promote terrorism against the US, you have to be a fucking idiot.
    Well, why paint with the broad brush then? I mean, I know the answer. Because "Daily Kos" is committed to certain points of view, and making anyone who opposes those look crazy, and to do so they lump issues where "reasonable" people could disagree in with stuff like "Does Obama want the terrorists to win?" and paint a picture of a large group of "crazy people" that "reasonable" people should mobilize against.

And as htb pointed out, you could just as easily do it with the other side. Heck, during the 2008 campaign, there were people on this very forum still asserting that Bush "stole" the 2000 election. Poll some hard-core democrats and see how many agree with that sentiment.

I guess I just don't see the point in starting a thread to say "hey! There's some people that disagree with me on some stuff! Aren't they crazy?" and get responses that are basically like "Oh yeah! What nuts! They're totally bonkers!" I've just never been fond of the gather-a-group-of-stone-throwers tactic.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    And on and on and on...so I have to wonder what percentage of Americans actually self-identify as Republicans. One estimate I read said it's as low as 21% now, which is interesting, and at least a little bit reassuring that maybe most of the country isn't this fucking crazy.
    Being a "former" Republican, this poll doesn't surprise me. The party has been taken over by anti-intellectuals. When a party puts forth vice presidential candidates like Sarah Palin, I just can't be a part of it anymore.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    Saw this pic recently.. Random, but sort of related (to Republican paranoia)

People can be at least two or three of those, like Al-Qaeda. Obama isn't really any of those, although he LOVES Big Government and Big Business, and those are two main ingredients for fascism.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Unfortunately, this is what eventually happens when you court groups like the "Moral Majority" and "Christian Coalition" to win elections. Eventually they become your base and critical thinking (which used to be a major component of conservatism like during the National Review's heyday) goes right out the window. Easier to wind people up emotionally with conspiracy theories and tea bags.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    So the far-right Republican fringe is being more well represented. While moderates and center-right people have phased out of the party in recent years.
    That. From what I understand, some key moderate/center-right people have been canned recently. If that's where they want to take the party... well, I'm glad I left four years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Unfortunately, this is what eventually happens when you court groups like the "Moral Majority" and "Christian Coalition" to win elections. Eventually they become your base and critical thinking (which used to be a major component of conservatism like during the National Review's heyday) goes right out the window.
    I think those two groups ceased to exist about 10-15 years ago... but the constituencies remain.

It hits pretty close to home. I'm scared to ask my ex for answers to those poll questions; I remember the comments I overheard during the 2008 election.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    But really the only one of those that is a factual question is whether Obama was born in the US.
    Yeah, that one can be checked... although it's STILL being challenged by the conspiracy theorists. Sigh.

And as htb pointed out, you could just as easily do it with the other side. Heck, during the 2008 campaign, there were people on this very forum still asserting that Bush "stole" the 2000 election. Poll some hard-core democrats and see how many agree with that sentiment.
    But he did! He did!

Honestly, I'm tired of politics. I think everything gets polarized and then the conversations become useless. Mostly we're arguing about base assumptions on the best way to fix the problems the country faces, and we're all different, with different assumptions, and so we're just going to disagree; but then extremists push the public debate into make really silly claims about the motivations and ethical nature of the Enemy du Jour.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    People can be at least two or three of those, like Al-Qaeda. Obama isn't really any of those, although he LOVES Big Government and Big Business, and those are two main ingredients for fascism.
    Al-Quaeda could only qualify as one of those symbols.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Al-Quaeda could only qualify as one of those symbols.
    I would be willing to let the swastika stand in for various types of fascist political systems.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"