User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

I think you have to put that initiative into context. It makes sense so be a militant Darwinist in America -and I would probably be one of them-, while it wouldn't in France (for instance).

In Europe, an overwhelming majority of people knows that the evolutionary theory is correct, and that what the Bible says should not be taught alongside in schools.

While in the USA, you have a very strong creationist lobby, especially with their so-called "intelligent design".

Political militantism makes only sense where your ideas are threatened, where you have a fight to carry through.

---

Anyway.

The contribution of Darwin to modern science is huge, and his ideas were far more decisive and influential than most of the other scientists quoted there (Newton, Maxwell or Tesla). There's no possible comparison about that, it's a no-brainer.

So basically, I'd say the wish to make a "Darwin's day", is not that stupid or irrelevant.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    NICE

Birthdays seem very arbitary and symbolic. When we are 1 year old, say, the starting point (day of our birth) would be zero. So we celebrate zero? So would someone born prematurely have a "real" birthday - projected to when they "should" come out?

In other words, the celebration of birthdays is not very scientific and peculiarly irrational.

It seems odd to celebrate science and ration with a quant gesture like a birthday bash.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by bananatrombones View Post
    Birthdays seem very arbitary and symbolic. When we are 1 year old, say, the starting point (day of our birth) would be zero. So we celebrate zero? So would someone born prematurely have a "real" birthday - projected to when they "should" come out?

In other words, the celebration of birthdays is not very scientific and peculiarly irrational.

It seems odd to celebrate science and ration with a quant gesture like a birthday bash.
    It's entirely symbolic and you know it.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

It's a college campus... we even had NORML selling brownies and grilled cheese sandwiches at bake sales on 4-20 on ours! Any group will come up with some way to bring people in to listen to them with food

Darwin day is probably just a fun way of poking at Creationists and their desires for Creationism being taught in school- as should be celebrated on Newton day in some manner, every action has an equal and opposite reaction

Just enjoy the fun, young whippersnapper- free cake and books are a wonderful thing!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Would mudskipper or monkey be appropriate?
    Quote Originally Posted by teslashock View Post
    Hmmmm, I think finches are starting to become popular in some countries. Maybe we could start a holiday tradition?
    I was more thinking tortoise -- I hear there's good eating in one of those, mm.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    The contribution of Darwin to modern science is huge, and his ideas were far more decisive and influential than most of the other scientists quoted there (Newton, Maxwell or Tesla). There's no possible comparison about that, it's a no-brainer.
    For what do we owe Darwin? Not much in a practical sense. He didn't create the field of genetics, that was Mendel. I think you are greatly overstating Darwin's influence. He was a great contributor, but you can't say that he was greater than anyone else, certainly not greater than people on the level of Newton and Maxwell.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    For what do we owe Darwin? Not much in a practical sense. He didn't create the field of genetics, that was Mendel. I think you are greatly overstating Darwin's influence. He was a great contributor, but you can't say that he was greater than anyone else, certainly not greater than people on the level of Newton and Maxwell.
    Childish rant.

It's not even worth my time answering it.

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    Childish rant.

It's not even worth my time answering it.
    That's the best you can do? Certainly someone with your academic prowess could put me in my place. I'm just a lowly (electrical) engineer.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INTJ

So close to V Day? I'd hate to be sitting across from some fine honey and imagine her as an ape.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    This is unnecessary and stupid. :rolli:
    By that I mean the whole issue of celebrating Darwin's b-day as a holiday, and much of the agenda behind it(New Atheism etc.). It's rather pathetic, not least of which it perpetuates the crude notion of science vs religion.

Most Christian denominations accept "Theistic Evolution" and many of the early religious critics of Darwin actually based their arguments on the prevailing scientific theories of the day.