User Tag List

12 Last

Default Modern Political Ideologies, Pessimism and Optimism

Do you think that specific modern political ideologies typify pessimism or optimism, like liberalism being optimistic and conservatism pessimistic or do you think the each ideology has things which it optimistic and pessimistic about for instance progress or innovation and tradition and heritage.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6

Did you get these ideas from an article or something?

MBTI
    NICE

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Do you think that specific modern political ideologies typify pessimism or optimism, like liberalism being optimistic and conservatism pessimistic or do you think the each ideology has things which it optimistic and pessimistic about for instance progress or innovation and tradition and heritage.
    Translated from Larkese into English:

Do you think that modern political ideologies are optimistic or pessimistic? Or is it a grey area that requires more than an overly simplistic yes or no.

So: Yay or nay?

MBTI
    ESFJ

It depends on the individual and the belief system. I know as a libertarian, many of us arrive at our beliefs from cynicism about power and government. At the same time, many of us arrive at our beliefs in an optimistic view of what free human beings can achieve in a society with economic opportunities and civil liberties.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

I follow the ideology of liberal democracy because I have noticed that power tends to corrupt and absolute power corrupts absolutely. And liberal democracy is based on the limitation of power.

So I would have to say my ideology of liberal democracy is pessimistic.

And at some deep level this satisfies me.

Of course I am tempted by optimism, by Romanticism, by smile be happy, but then I am mugged by reality and I thank God I have my pessimism to fall back on.

And although I support the ideology of liberal democracy, I think it is important to remember what an ideology is.

An ideology is -

1. Predigested thought.

2. It serves interests

3. And it has a demonology.

So you might say in choosing liberal democracy, I am choosing the least evil.

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    It depends on the individual and the belief system. I know as a libertarian, many of us arrive at our beliefs from cynicism about power and government. At the same time, many of us arrive at our beliefs in an optimistic view of what free human beings can achieve in a society with economic opportunities and civil liberties.
    Yes...liberals: pessimistic about people, optimistic about gov't solutions; libertarians: optimistic about people, pessimistic about gov't solutions...

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Forget optimism and pessimism, because the liberal democracies of today are the most prosperous and free places ever in history. That's realism.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post

And at some deep level this satisfies me.
    That's what she said. OH SNAP!

Quote Originally Posted by teslashock View Post
    Did you get these ideas from an article or something?
    No, I'm just interested in how underlying optimism or pessimism in the dominant ideas in any society can make or break it, whether its faith/religion, ideology or atheism.