User Tag List

View Poll Results: Is unattractiveness a boon to scientific discovery?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

10 26.32%
  • No

28 73.68%
First 4567 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by tcda View Post
    I don't really see this at all. At a certain age very few people are "very physically attractive" - they will only remain so if they actively try to be - which someone very immersed int heory is unlikely to spend so much time on.

Likewise, it's very unlikely to be either very physically attractive *or* a genius, so what are the chances of 2 in 1?

Agreed. There might be children that are prettier than others but it doesn't really manifest until you are old enough to have already developed a sense of self and an interest in intellectual persuits (or not, as the case may be). By the time you get attention from the other sex (assuming you're hetero) a decent part of the path has already been layed out.
    Physically less attractive people might still get a whole lot of love and admiration from their friends and family which will impact their sense of self. And this also works the other way around.

The way the OP phrased it, we are talking about strong statistical outliers in two seperate departments. While there exists a social cliché of the unattractive pubescent male who takes to nerdy interests in the absence of females (and also scares off females through his geeky interests) that cliché does not explain for the high number of dumb and ugly people or people who compensate their lack of attractivity with athletics, with hard work and/or financial ambition or great social skills.

Also, as others have mentioned, if Lewis Carroll had not gone on a boat excursion with the Liddell family and little Alice Liddell had not asked him to write down the story he had told her on that trip, he never would have written Alice in Wonderland.

And I remember a beautiful passage in Stefan Zweig's novel Chess Story where the narrator differentiates between those champions who live for chess and whose life turns around chess and those who persuit it as one of many passions while - due to some injustice of nature - still being just as good at it.

Such is the nature of outliers. I do not think you can extrapolate a clear rule from it though.
    The good life is one inspired by love and guided by knowledge. Neither love without knowledge, nor knowledge without love can produce a good life. - Bertrand Russell
    A herring's blog
    Johari / Nohari

Quote Originally Posted by Red Herring View Post
    Such is the nature of outliers. I do not think you can extrapolate a clear rule from it though.
    This should be a typoC meme. I swear it.

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

This is interesting. I think often you see a mental decline because of lack of focus after puberty. It is like that episode of seinfeld where George stops having sex and becomes a genius
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

MBTI
    INFJ

Personally I think Einstein was very cute and endearing when he was young, and still endearing when he was older. I think he aged quite well.

Niels Bohr is not shabby, not at all. Easy on the eyes I'd say.

Newton... hard to say. The hair just isn't from my time. :P

Hawking, not unattractive I'd say. His condition might be a little unsettling to some. I hope that was tactful...

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp
    Socionics
    LII

I voted "NO" in this poll. I did so because I think it much less likely they would have gravitated to science had they been attractive people (and knew it).
    Cognitive functions:
    Fi (95%); Ti (90%); Ne (75%); Fe (60%); Ni (50%); Si (50%); Te (15%); Se (5%)

"INFP values but INTP skills" describes me best of all

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post
    would they have had such an impact, or made such discoveries?

My guess is no.
    You think they were sublimating their drives into their research?

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Some of them might have been considered very attractive for their time; and the ones who weren't probably just had that as an excuse to focus on their work rather than women.

I don't know, but Tesla was pretty hot.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by greenfairy View Post
    Some of them might have been considered very attractive for their time; and the ones who weren't probably just had that as an excuse to focus on their work rather than women.

I don't know, but Tesla was pretty hot.
    Tesla was INTJ, this being yet another reason you should join their boat! As much as I admire Tesla though da Vinci is a far better mentor and he is xNTP! Which one will you side with?

philosopher wood nymph greenfairy's Avatar
    MBTI
    iNfj
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    Tesla was INTJ, this being yet another reason you should join their boat! As much as I admire Tesla though da Vinci is a far better mentor and he is xNTP! Which one will you side with?
    Um..can I have both?? L from Death Note who is an INTP would have to share me.
    *group hug* The more the merrier!

F CK all I need is U ilikeitlikethat's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so

What? @ thread title.

Einstein was a Pimp, I heard his wife was behind a lot of his stuff, and that she was the real brains behind it all; that's what I heard but I mean, people talk a lot of sh*t.
    But if true...
    'Pimp'

j/k, but I still heard that's true.

e = mc²'s cool