User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Century of Self

Ginkgo

Inorite!

A more appealing [YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlPYZH5FwdU&feature=related"]explanation [/YOUTUBE]
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

He pronks, too! Array Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I didn't know Victor had a website.

Quote Originally Posted by phobik View Post
    A more appealing [YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PlPYZH5FwdU&feature=related"]explanation [/YOUTUBE]
    Wow she's attractive. That feeling of attraction was unfortunately murdered by all the mystical gobbledygook.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I didn't know Victor had a website.

Wow she's attractive. That feeling of attraction was unfortunately murdered by all the mystical gobbledygook.
    Thanks for the prompt first-person demon-stration of the described phenomena.
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by phobik View Post
    Thanks for the prompt first-person demon-stration of the described phenomena.
    This reminds me of the thread about open-mindedness.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

The separation of ego and self here is weird. It sounds more to me like he means super ego than ego.

The title of all this stuff implies to me a criticism of ego similar to ones I've come to develop on my own, but then upon further reading, I'm shocked to find it is actually an example of much of the aspects of egoism I hate. All this worship of the power of the self, and advice about focusing on your own problems instead of other peoples'. Mehhh.

The society creates an ego because the ego can be controlled and manipulated. The self can never be controlled or manipulated. Nobody has ever heard of the society controlling a self - not possible.
    The problem becomes multifold, because there are helpers who are in the same boat. And they would like to help, because when you help somebody the ego feels very good, very, very good - because you are a great helper, a great guru, a master; you are helping so many people. The greater the crowd of your followers, the better you feel.

But you are in the same boat - you cannot help.

Rather, you will harm.

People who still have their own problems cannot be of much help. Only someone who has no problems of his own can help you. Only then is there the clarity to see, to see through you. A mind that has no problems of its own can see you, you become transparent.

A mind that has no problems of its own can see through itself; that's why it becomes capable of seeing through others.

In the West, there are many schools of psychoanalysis, many schools, and no help is reaching people, but rather, harm. Because the people who are helping others, or trying to help, or posing as helpers, are in the same boat.
    Also, like much philosophy of Indian origin, it has nonoperational advice and discourages analysis for a kind of intuition or mental blankness..

Whatsoever you do - humbleness, humility, simplicity - nothing will help. Only one thing is possible, and that is just to watch and see that it is the source of all misery. Don't say it. Don't repeat it - WATCH. Because if I say it is the source of all misery and you repeat it, then it is useless. YOU have to come to that understanding. Whenever you are miserable, just close the eyes and don't try to find some cause outside. Try to see from where this misery is coming.

It is your own ego.

If you continuously feel and understand, and the understanding that the ego is the cause becomes so deep-rooted, one day you will suddenly see that it has disappeared. Nobody drops it - nobody can drop it. You simply see; it has simply disappeared, because the very understanding that ego causes all misery becomes the dropping. THE VERY UNDERSTANDING IS THE DISAPPEARANCE OF THE EGO.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Senior Member Array

Dafuq Phobik, those google vid links dont work >.>

hm. after reading I can imagine that this kind of thought wouldn't resonate well in a place like this where everyone is looking for food for, this articles definition of, the Ego

edit: Here's the links to the vids since the OP is too lazy to fix the broken links.

part 1

part 2

part 3

part 4

Senior Member Array FunnyDigestion's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I think it's mixed. In some ways people today are very selfish. Young people especially usually want everything their way, & they want it right away, & they don't really ask themselves whether they deserve it. But at the same time there's a devaluing of what individual people are worth. I think it's the source of a lot of people's depression, since it's culture-wide. Every person carries their own unique world around inside of them. But there's a constant inner dismissal of that, almost like it's something that's going to get in the way. So there's a tug-of-war between "I want things my way" & "the things that make me an individual aren't important".
    RCUAI
    ---------
    "Man is free, but his freedom ceases when he has no faith in it."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast