User Tag List

First 789101119 Last

Thread: Racism

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    So it seems Blacks and Whites tend to agree on this issue.
    It is a racially biased standard of beauty. Many of those women are racially mixed and so don't entirely represent one particular race in terms of appearance. You could turn it around and have some of those same women be considered the most beautiful white women and others with skin too pale or blond hair, etc. would not make the list. Those exclusively white features would be seen as flawed and not matching the "universal" standard of beauty. If white males and females accepted that standard of beauty, that having exclusively white features was less attractive, what would that imply about the values of the given culture and the impact it had on the individuals of this hypothetically oppressed white group?
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

Sniffles

Why is the automatic assumption here that it's racially biased? Could the simple fact just be that Blacks and whites generally find the same features attractive?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

By the way, most of the Miss Universe and the like have an "average" skin (basically the average skin color of the entire human population), thus often olive or dark olive. I don't think blonde + pale skin is the "standard" of beauty - too extreme. At the very least, around here it's not. Very dark black isn't either, for the same reason. Probably has something to do with humans preferring more "average" features.

(btw, from my perspective I wouldn't even classify Mariah Carey as black, in that case I could be black too)

So it seems Blacks and Whites tend to agree on this issue.
    Yeah lol. It's funny how something like this, which obviously can be interpreted as "hot is hot", can be twisted and turned and finally shown as proof of white-bias. I would somehow bet that many of those women would still be classifed among the hottest of the world even if the word "black" wasn't included in the survey.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    By the way, most of the Miss Universe and the like have an "average" skin (basically the average skin color of the entire human population), thus often olive or dark olive. I don't think blonde + pale skin is the "standard" of beauty - too extreme. At the very least, around here it's not. Very dark black isn't either, for the same reason. Probably has something to do with humans preferring more "average" features.
    That's very much the case as I see it. For the record, I tend to prefer "darker" white women over pale blond ones.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Why is the automatic assumption here that it's racially biased? Could the simple fact just be that Blacks and whites generally find the same features attractive?
    Why are certain features found attractive? The media conditions us to respond to certain images. There can be underlying instinctual attraction to healthy looking people, but when it comes to more neutral issues, a sense of attractiveness is largely manufactured by a culture. People will tend to push back against realizing that their perceptions are controlled and often manufactured, but they actually are at least to some degree. There is a rather wide range of images that can be manufactured to become a standard of beauty. All one has to do is to view how the standard changes over time, location, and culture to see that it has a large degree of flexibility. The standard of beauty is always socially charged in favor of the dominant social group.
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    Why are certain features found attractive? The media conditions us to respond to certain images.
    I'm pretty sure my dick isn't controlled by the media.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    I'm pretty sure my dick isn't controlled by the media.
    Actually, it is. To a certain degree. To live in a modern world with all the modern contraptions of daily life, one would be extremely ignorant, at the least, to claim that he were above the unconscious influence of all that. We are all products of the world we live in. That's why we should be very CAREFUL about what our minds view, and what our children view. And cognizant of the subliminal messages we send to our children and others when we support, with our passivity, practices and activities that hold physical beauty as one of our main qualifiers of success.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

As a hopefully helpful disclaimer, what any individual reading this thread finds attractive personally is not relevant to the universal issues I was attempting to address. Or at least the degree to which it represents the whole is largely negligible, since there is some degree of variance.
    (from Blue Velvet)

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    As a hopefully helpful disclaimer, what any individual reading this thread finds attractive personally is not relevant to the universal issues I was attempting to address. Or at least the degree to which it represents the whole is largely negligible, since there is some degree of variance.
    Let's ask another question - what's wrong with the definition of beauty being largely defined by the majority (or however you are/were wording it)?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by aphrodite-gone-awry View Post
    Actually, it is. To a certain degree. To live in a modern world with all the modern contraptions of daily life, one would be extremely ignorant, at the least, to claim that he were above the unconscious influence of all that. We are all products of the world we live in. That's why we should be very CAREFUL about what our minds view, and what our children view. And cognizant of the subliminal messages we send to our children and others when we support, with our passivity, practices and activities that hold physical beauty as one of our main qualifiers of success.
    I still don't believe it's true, for me at least...I have gone on dates with both black and nordic women, and I was physically attracted to both of them. So societal influence on sexual attraction is just bunk from my perspective. Perhaps somebody else is influenced. @toonia: it's too easy to say that. If "universally" there's an influence, but each individual isn't influenced, then universally there's nothing, perhaps some sterile discussion on internet forums.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp