User Tag List

First 4567816 Last

Thread: Racism

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Seymour View Post
    One thing that Tim Wise has pointed out (not that he originated it) is that racism works, in part, to keep poor whites and blacks from finding common cause, and keeps poor whites voting for the interests of rich whites. The poorest whites in some areas can be among the most openly racist (not that all are) since that's one way they can identify as powerful and feel better about themselves.

I do think it's tough for people in the majority/privileged group to be fully aware of all the subtle ways in which minority/unprivileged are reminded of their lesser status.
    I'll come back and make more in depth post later, but want to say how much I agree with this post.

There's a movie from 1978 called "Blue Collar" that makes a powerful statement about the different ways the working class is set against itself. It has Richard Pryor and Harvey Keitel in it and people typically think of it as a comedy but really it is not. It explores some really dark themes about American working class culture.

Edit: I found the tralier on youtube.

Then the "You're thinking white" scene. (Warning, there's profanity in this scene, if that offends you don't listen.)

The ending says: "They pit the lifers against the new boys, the young against the old, the black? against the white, everybody, to keep us in our place!"

It had a powerful impact on me the first time I saw it years ago.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Peguy, I see what you're saying. And in part, I do agree. Acknowledge, I get. We all have prejudices, and pretending we don't is counterproductive. Move on with my life, I'm totally on board for that, and in fact it's one of the reasons I started this thread, as an exercise in exorcism so that I can get closer to the person I want to be. But accept? Why would I accept my prejudices? I want to get rid of them, not accept them. I accept that I may not ever be totally without prejudice, but that doesn't preclude me from working on the ones I can identify.
    I'm speaking here of critical self-acceptance. You accept yourself, warts and all. It doesn't mean one shouldn't work on their faults, but you also have to realise there's only so much you can do about them as well. This of course is assuming they represent an actual problem. The mere existence of prejudices does not necessarily mean it's a problem that needs to be corrected; although that's something each person has to decide for themselves. Usually if the prejudice in question is of an indiscriminate nature, that's the time to be concerned IMO. If not, you don't have to be as concerned.

MBTI
    INTP

:rolli:

I need to watch PCU again...that was such an awesome movie.

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram

I'm a white person interested in this topic. Thanks for starting a thread about this.

Whites in the usa used to own black people as slaves (other countries owned people as slaves as well, I know) so any discussion about race between blacks and white, where I live, at least, needs to keep this in mind. Ya, like any african american could truthfully forgive and move on, with a deep memory of dominance and ownership, etched into their psyches? Doubt it. Heck I feel the pain endured by my ancestors who came to usa to escape their own form of societal abuse and dominance and it's been over a hundred years since they came here.

With that said, most groups have hierarchies, no? Class, citizenship, intellect, spiritual communities, emotional health, animals, etc.. How is racism different from any other segregation that goes on (aside from the tragic nature of oppression based on color, gender and qualities that one is genetically predisposed?) I also see personality type having a heirarchy of worth and dominance actually, which is a big reason I don't go too heavily into it. Most personal identification with overall personality and character types stem from a subtle pride in ourselves, from what I have sensed.

It seems that most racism, discrimination, hatred, bigotry, misinformation and the like is due to generalizations and stereotyping. When I get to know a person I base my knowledge and admiration for him or her on their personal qualities, not some preconception about who they are.

One thing that gets in my way of knowing people individually is the segregation that occurs between groups of people that spring up due to initial biased fears. Thus, it's hard for me to become friends with people who aren't easily accessible. I remain ignorant of who people really are when this happens.

Hopefully my post isn't too ridiculous.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5&4 sx
    Socionics
    INFj

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    :rolli:

I need to watch PCU again...that was such an awesome movie.
    Oh ho! Classy. That's not a film that uplifts decadence and baseness. Not to mention the virtue and sophistication of its target audience. Indeed, political correctness is for the spineless. :rolli: Got irony?

Look, redneck. If you disagree with me, fine, but I sense a little bit of negativity in your posts here and in other threads where we've had a similar discussion (Race and Dating, was it?). It feels akin to bitterness at times, although I could be wrong.

Tell me, what's your experience with racism? How does racism affect you, if at all? What are your views on systemic racism and its implications? What do you think the racial climate is in America today? Post-racial? Completely racialized? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Thanks KDude! I appreciate your perspective.

Do you really have to hear the crap? This is part of what I'm struggling with personally, is whether it's my responsibility to speak up when people make racist remarks, or if just keeping my mouth shut is okay. I don't like confrontation but I would want someone to tell me if I inadvertently said something offensive.

My husband was miserable at work during the election. He works in IT for a trucking company- there are drivers that aren't white, but basically the entire administrative staff (IT, accounting, etc) is white. Apparently he was on the receiving end of more than one email fwd that included pictures of watermelons on the White House lawn, an Obama foodstamp, and stuff like that. He didn't say anything because he needs the job, but he felt (and still feels) like he was compliant by not saying anything.

I don't mean to make all my examples about Obama but it really seems like having a non-white president has dug up a lot of latent racism in the US. Or, maybe it wasn't that latent, but it's clearer for people like me who could kind of skate by without being very aware of it before.

I already have an Onion headline for 2012 or 2016: America Elects 44th White President.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by neptunesnet View Post
    Oh ho! Classy. That's not a film that uplifts decadence and baseness. Not to mention the virtue and sophistication of its target audience. Indeed, political correctness is for the spineless. :rolli: Got irony?

Look, redneck. If you disagree with me, fine, but I sense a little bit of negativity in your posts here and in other threads where we've had a similar discussion (Race and Dating, was it?). It feels akin to bitterness at times, although I could be wrong.

Tell me, what's your experience with racism? How does racism affect you, if at all? What are your views on systemic racism and its implications? What do you think the racial climate is in America today? Post-racial? Completely racialized? I'd love to hear your thoughts.

The worst thing about Stuff White People Do is that it is stuff that EVERY race does or has done in history.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

lol really? that's the "worst thing"?

I don't know, "Stuff white people like" seems more like "Stuff hipsters like." Most white people I know don't like most of the things in the blog. Most hipsters I know do.

Uh, there are black hipsters. i.e. "blipsters" :P