User Tag List

First 1234513 Last

Thread: Racism

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Wow. toonia, I need to see the rest of that. It's not on Netflix but I'll keep looking. That's some powerful shit.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by neptunesnet View Post
    Yeah, I can understand how that definition could feel wrong because we associate racism with evil, and evil people, but racial prejudice is just as bad as racism. The only difference, a significant one in fact, is that one has more of an opportunity ot exert that power than the other one does.

The guy in the trailer parker across the way may not have monetary or socioeconomic power, but he can certainly exert his power as a white man and demean a bunch of black people with the N-word. He'd feel empowered by that act of degradation because the offense would definitely be felt and he knows there is nothing that black people can retaliate with in racial terms. That's also why you come across many overtly racist poor whites. It's because (they feel) their last ounce of social power is in their whiteness and they exert it to feel empowered.

Maybe that's why he enjoys pissing on the Obama bumper sticker? He knows he has at least one leg up, however minute it may appear in comparison?
    Really good points. I guess it's also worth noting that whatever measure of oppression he experiences as a poor white person would be compounded if the factor of race were added to the mix.

BTW this is the sticker:

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Wow. toonia, I need to see the rest of that. It's not on Netflix but I'll keep looking. That's some powerful shit.
    If you find a link let me know. I saw it when I was taking a multi-cultural counseling class, and it is something everyone should see. I just have been unable to find it since although I have often tried. There is also a "Color of Fear II" that addressing homophobia, but I haven't been able to see it yet.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

I think there is truth in white privilege and institutional racism, no question. But I still think the bigger divide is in class. Certainly, economic status and race have a certain correlation because of the aforementioned white privilege and institutional racism.

That said, I firmly believe that a rich white man and a rich black man are more alike than a rich white man and a poor white man. This is what complicates the problem of selling the reality of white privilege to white people at large...most of them are not rich. It's hard to convince someone how good they have it when in the big picture they're struggling. It's hard for a guy standing 5' 3" to hear from a guy standing 5' 0" that he's too tall when he turns on the TV or opens the newspaper and sees a bunch of six footers running everything.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

Twerking & Lurking ayoitsStepho's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 so/sx

Well, I can first point out that everywhere I've lived, I've been pointed out because of my race. And not always in the nice way.

I'm half Spanish from Spain, then have some Irish, German, and Jewish in me. (Dad's a full Spaniard & mom's a half Jew with the irish and german in her.)

Anyway, when I lived in Kansas, Oklahoma and Missouri, I was made fun of for being hispanic. I cant tell you how many times people made fun of me for that.
    But, when I moved to the border of Mexico (Laredo Texas), I was the center of racist jeering still. This time, they made fun of me because my skin is white. I also had people tell me that I was a Jew killer, and at the same time I had others tell me that I was a stupid Jew (because I have a bit of Jewish and German blood in me).

After awhile it soothed over after I moved from that city to Mcallen Texas. So I had 3 years where I wasn't picked on for those reasons. But I just moved to Branson Missouri, I cannot tell you how horrible it is to here the way the people talk about hispanics here. I'm now able to not get hurt over it, but I'm offended because those are my people that they're calling dirty and spitting on. It's come to the point where I don't care, I WILL say something if someone has something to say against any specific race.
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    ayoitsStepho is becoming someone else. Actually her true self, a rite of passage.

I am an American of mixed race (Asian/White... umm.. think Keanu Reeves or Michelle Branch.. or someone like that heh), and it seems like that makes me neutral..? For lack of a better word. I don't think I experience too much direct racism nowadays. When I was younger, it was worse, but people tend to grow out of that. What I do see though is subtle racism towards others, not necessarily myself. I feel like a "spy" of sorts. Around me, no one tiptoes about what they're thinking with that or that issue, person, situation, etc.. So occasionally, I might hear someone mumble under their breath some bullshit. Like it's OK for me to hear that or something. ??? Pretty odd, but it's hardly OK. And it's not just whites - I might hear a Mexican friend reveal some ugly thoughts about blacks, or black against white, or white ignorantly viewing things stereotypically, or an Asian disliking something or other. And me? I'm everyone's buddy who has to hear this crap. ;D

Anyhow, I don't expect changing people overnight. I care and speak up, but I'm not sure what there is to do other than that. I'm grateful that we all live in a world where at least the laws are better than 50 years ago, and that minorities are relatively safe, but changing people's minds is an entirely different matter.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Thanks KDude! I appreciate your perspective.

Do you really have to hear the crap? This is part of what I'm struggling with personally, is whether it's my responsibility to speak up when people make racist remarks, or if just keeping my mouth shut is okay. I don't like confrontation but I would want someone to tell me if I inadvertently said something offensive.

My husband was miserable at work during the election. He works in IT for a trucking company- there are drivers that aren't white, but basically the entire administrative staff (IT, accounting, etc) is white. Apparently he was on the receiving end of more than one email fwd that included pictures of watermelons on the White House lawn, an Obama foodstamp, and stuff like that. He didn't say anything because he needs the job, but he felt (and still feels) like he was compliant by not saying anything.

I don't mean to make all my examples about Obama but it really seems like having a non-white president has dug up a lot of latent racism in the US. Or, maybe it wasn't that latent, but it's clearer for people like me who could kind of skate by without being very aware of it before.

Nickle Iron Silicone Charmed Justice's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I think there is truth in white privilege and institutional racism, no question. But I still think the bigger divide is in class. Certainly, economic status and race have a certain correlation because of the aforementioned white privilege and institutional racism.

That said, I firmly believe that a rich white man and a rich black man are more alike than a rich white man and a poor white man. This is what complicates the problem of selling the reality of white privilege to white people at large...most of them are not rich. It's hard to convince someone how good they have it when in the big picture they're struggling. It's hard for a guy standing 5' 3" to hear from a guy standing 5' 0" that he's too tall when he turns on the TV or opens the newspaper and sees a bunch of six footers running everything.
    I get that sentiment. Racism and classism are similar, but they are two different things. People of color typically contend with both, at all socioecomic levels.
    There is a thinking stuff from which all things are made, and which, in its original state, permeates, penetrates, and fills the interspaces of the universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Thanks KDude! I appreciate your perspective.

Do you really have to hear the crap? This is part of what I'm struggling with personally, is whether it's my responsibility to speak up when people make racist remarks, or if just keeping my mouth shut is okay. I don't like confrontation but I would want someone to tell me if I inadvertently said something offensive.

My husband was miserable at work during the election. He works in IT for a trucking company- there are drivers that aren't white, but basically the entire administrative staff (IT, accounting, etc) is white. Apparently he was on the receiving end of more than one email fwd that included pictures of watermelons on the White House lawn, an Obama foodstamp, and stuff like that.
    I almost lost some friends who were sending crazy Obama emails.. Like they thought I'd be OK with it? It's a good example of what I'm talking about, of being able to see things other minorities may not. I do view some of these friends as decent people essentially, so I tried to be nice and just admonish a bit and asked not to send that stuff to me. I probably made them think at least. I would hope so.

As for jobs, I don't know how to handle it. If you speak up too loudly, you risk people getting super defensive for the sake of it. Maybe just politely saying "No thanks" is good enough for the fellow employee to realize what they're doing.

Nickle Iron Silicone Charmed Justice's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    I almost lost some friends who were sending crazy Obama emails.. Like they thought I'd be OK with it? It's a good example of what I'm talking about, of being able to see things other minorities may not. I do view some of these friends as decent people essentially, so I tried to be nice and just admonish a bit and asked not to send that stuff to me. I probably made them think at least. I would hope so.

As for jobs, I don't know how to handle it. If you speak up too loudly, you risk people getting super defensive for the sake of it. Maybe just politely saying "No thanks" is good enough for the fellow employee to realize what they're doing.
    I think a lot of my "white" friends and associates see me as the "exceptional" "black" person-because of my family's socioeconomic class. Many people will say overtly hateful things around me, and then add, "Well, I'm not talking about you, of course. You're not like them, or other blacks." Because I was/am often the only "black" person in a group, it's rare that people have feared my reactions, or walked on eggshells around me. There's strength in numbers.
    There is a thinking stuff from which all things are made, and which, in its original state, permeates, penetrates, and fills the interspaces of the universe.