User Tag List

First 123412 Last

Thread: Racism

Nickle Iron Silicone Charmed Justice's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

I hear you prpl.
    There is a thinking stuff from which all things are made, and which, in its original state, permeates, penetrates, and fills the interspaces of the universe.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by neptunesnet View Post
    @Ivy: Racialicious is my favorite.

There is also Social Science Lite, a blog created by two Harvard graduates who majored in social science, and Alas, a blog.

Angry Black Woman is a good one, too. I personally like their definition of racism - although many disagree.
    Adding those to my RSS feed reader. What is ABW's definition of racism?
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5&4 sx
    Socionics
    INFj

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    I do realize it's retarded to say you don't notice color, but at the same time do we need so much emphasis? maybe it's because I'm not a minority that I don't understand racial pride.
    You have the privilege of not having to be constantly reminded of the fact that you're white, because in the US "white" is "normal."

That may not seem like a big deal, or even as a form of oppression, but it is. Putting emphasis on "blackness" marginalizes us because it separates us from mainstream society. As we stand today, our existence as black people is nothing but an antithesis of normalcy and "rightness" (read: "whiteness"). At least that's the perception, which is obviously skewed.

An example of this in the hair care aisle. There is just a hair care section and then there is an ethnic hair care. Indeed, there is a difference between African-textured haird and Euro/Asian-textured hair, but to deem one "ethnic" (an inherently subjective term) over another is to compare one against another, as in the dominant group (not in terms of population but in terms of power here) gets regular while the marginalized group gets a label, as if we're not equally a part of society but mere exceptions, or even visitors.

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    funny I do the same thing with non-white. like everyone is taught to tiptoe around the other because of junk put in our heads as kids. which causes anxiety, and it's like I don't know what to do. And my favorite is the attitude of: you're white you can't possibly know what it's like to be an outsider. And It's like I was diagnosed with a learning disability when I was a kid put into special ed and I'm schizoaffective, so you're right I have no idea what it's like to be looked down on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I know what you mean. I feel like all of us inherited a broken system and we're all struggling with it. Some of us mostly struggle in abstract, less tangible ways, which is part of privilege I suppose.
    I agree with Ivy. We're all affected by it.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5&4 sx
    Socionics
    INFj

Adding those to my RSS feed reader. What is ABW's definition of racism?
    Racism = racial prejudice + power

The argument is that anyone can be racially prejudiced, but that only whites since they collectively attain the most power can be racist.

Most of the commenters felt it was too simple a definiton and was an obvious blow at white people, but then again I don't think many of them believed in white pivilege, either.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

My only question about that definition: does it mean that the guy who lives in the trailer park across the highway from my neighborhood whose beat-up old truck has a sticker of Calvin peeing on Obama isn't racist because he lacks power?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5&4 sx
    Socionics
    INFj

My only question about that definition: does it mean that the guy who lives in the trailer park across the highway from my neighborhood whose beat-up old truck has a sticker of Calvin peeing on Obama isn't racist because he lacks power?
    Depends. Is he white or black?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

He's white. It's difficult for me to parse out the socioeconomic from the racial in these cases. I know that the idea is that he experiences white privilege just from being perceived as "normal" because he's white, but honestly, I'm not too sure most people DO perceive guys with mullets who don't bathe as normal. And I know I'm being judgmental.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

The Color of Fear was quite an eye-opener for me. I have trouble finding the whole of it online. It is a 1-2 hour round table discussion with a group of men who are ethnically diverse. It shows part of the process of the perspective of a white individual whose view is encased in the assumptions of white privilege being gradually dismantled. I can find a few clips on youtube.

[youtube=0Rbfh5oM3EQ]The Color of Fear trailer[/youtube]

This is the "Red Ground" scene from "The Color of Fear".
    YouTube - StirfrySeminars.com Presents The Color of Fear-The 'Red Ground' Scene
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    yupp

hate is still hate whether or not you have power. there's black people who hate whites, but it's ok, you know why? because they're marginalized and it's like too me racism is never justified I am not my race just like you aren't yours well you are and I am, but what I mean is their more to us then just that. And most racism in my experience is based on sterotypes. yeah I joke and say I have no rythm because I'm white, but the truth is I just have no rythm I'm awkward. But you know I feel like whatever I say is wrong at this point, so I give up.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5&4 sx
    Socionics
    INFj

He's white. It's difficult for me to parse out the socioeconomic from the racial in these cases. I know that the idea is that he experiences white privilege just from being perceived as "normal" because he's white, but honestly, I'm not too sure most people DO perceive guys with mullets who don't bathe as normal. And I know I'm being judgmental.
    Yeah, I can understand how that definition could feel wrong because we associate racism with evil, and evil people, but racial prejudice is just as bad as racism. The only difference, a significant one in fact, is that one has more of an opportunity ot exert that power than the other one does.

The guy in the trailer parker across the way may not have monetary or socioeconomic power, but he can certainly exert his power as a white man and demean a bunch of black people with the N-word. He'd feel empowered by that act of degradation because the offense would definitely be felt and he knows there is nothing that black people can retaliate with in racial terms. That's also why you come across many overtly racist poor whites. It's because (they feel) their last ounce of social power is in their whiteness and they exert it to feel empowered.

Maybe that's why he enjoys pissing on the Obama bumper sticker? He knows he has at least one leg up, however minute it may appear in comparison?