First 91718192021 Last

Thread: Racism

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    So rabbis are unqualified to make commentaries on the Old Testament in your view? Interesting how you try to dismiss taking into consideration the historical circumstances involved at the time(which are commonly noted in the theological "speculations" you dismiss) - namely the fact that castration was a common ritual among many Near Eastern cults that the Jews wanted to set themselves apart from.
    I said it could be reasonable speculation, did I not?

Regarding authority on scripture, I think you can have it by knowledge of history, anthropology, etc... The concept any sort of spiritual authority is irrelevant to me, though. A Rabbis should have authority equal to his knowledge on the subject he speaks, and therefore he would have no more authority in my opinion than a random schmoe if that person just happened to have equal knowledge for some reason.

You can certainly interpret scriptures however you want when you're largely ignorant of much of the original contexts, not to mention even the original languages involved too. Hence why it's necessary to have priests, rabbis, mullahs who make it their duty to properly study these texts.
    Or, you now, if I wanted to regardless of what I know. Between those two possibilities, I believe we have the majority of everyone involved in religion.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ENFJ

Wait, 72 virgins? So Paradise is a big Starcraft tourney?
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Rebe View Post
    I am not even a big fan of culture because to me, it puts people forever hanging onto a time when the customs may be appropriate but that time is long gone. Forward, people.

I don't 'like' that their women should feel compelled to wear those scarves over their heads. It covers their beautiful hair. And it must be annoying. I don't agree that seven-year-olds should be strongly encouraged to memorize the Koran and know it verbatim.

My best friend in middle school had to wear long sleeves and long pants during the hot summers because she's not allowed to show any skin. To me, that's just completely illogical.

Maybe I am one of those existentialists or uhm strong individualists.
    Man is a social animal as Aristotle noted and custom and culture is what keeps people together. That is not to say customs don't evolve over time, but they do so on the basis of continuity. Reform after all is about returning to form.

Existentialism doesn't necessarily fit into this, since there is a huge school of theistic existentialism(Jewish, Christian, even Islamic) dating back to Kierkegaard - and a huge concern for them did concern social relations and geniune senses of community. The problem with individualism is that it, along with collectivism, treats people as abstract concepts, as opposed to the more concrete understanding that while we're all unique, we're also all embedded to certain communities and societies - starting with our families.

Senior Member professor goodstain's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7~7
    Socionics
    IEE

and what if the suicide bomber has hereditary erectile dysfuntion? they woulda settled for an xbox ersumpin up there. wait, then everyone would find out and they would have to eternally bs their way through the gig. gawd, that would be the shits
    everyone uses every function about evenly. take NE for example. if there are those who don't use it much, then why are there such massive amounts of people constantly flowing through Wallmart with 20 items or less?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Rebe View Post
    I don't 'like' that their women should feel compelled to wear those scarves over their heads. It covers their beautiful hair. And it must be annoying. I don't agree that seven-year-olds should be strongly encouraged to memorize the Koran and know it verbatim.

My best friend in middle school had to wear long sleeves and long pants during the hot summers because she's not allowed to show any skin. To me, that's just completely illogical.
    Those aren't exclusive to Islam. Both of these practices show up in many fundamentalist Christian sects as well. As a young girl I had to wear ankle length dresses/skirts and I couldn't cut my hair. And there are plenty of Muslim women who do not follow those dress codes, and aren't told what to wear by the men in their lives.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with disapproving of the common practices of a culture or religion. I abhor the violence done in the name of Islam (and I can't believe I actually have to make that clear) as well as the misogyny of some Muslim subcultures. Where this can turn into discrimination, IMO, is if you assume an individual Muslim is a misogynist or prone to violence before you find out whether they actually are. Sort of like assuming a person is a closed-minded bigot because they are a Christian. Sure, we've got those, like Islam has misogynists and violence. But not every Christian behaves that way. Enough do that it's fair for it to be a part of the dialogue, but it's not fair to make assumptions about individuals or broad statements about how closed-minded and bigoted Christianity is. Same with Islam.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

Sniffles

Plain simple fact remains Magic is your interpretation of that passage was wrong.

MBTI
    GONE

Wow wondering how this turned from racism to Islam. Im on phone so its hard to backtrack. I will say that a lot of intolerance or dislike for something often comes down to purely a matter of how exposed or used to it a person is. I have no more or no less fundamental issues with any religion, no problem with women wearing head scarves, etc. It seems like a feminist or "liberating" act to want to free people from seemingly backwards ways but you might be surprised how angry they get at your impertinence. Whether or not something is actually sexist - the reason you notice it isnt because youre ethically more advanced its simply bevause its foreign to you. You do not respect or understand the culture it is embedded with which means you dont really respect the person you are trying to help. They are a part and product of that culture too.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    Wow wondering how this turned from racism to Islam. Im on phone so its hard to backtrack. I will say that a lot of intolerance or dislike for something often comes down to purely a matter of how exposed or used to it a person is. I have no more or no less fundamental issues with any religion, no problem with women wearing head scarves, etc. It seems like a feminist or "liberating" act to want to free people from seemingly backwards ways but you might be surprised how angry they get at your impertinence. Whether or not something is actually sexist - the reason you notice it isnt because youre ethically more advanced its simply bevause its foreign to you. You do not respect or understand the culture it is embedded with which means you dont really respect the person you are trying to help. They are a part and product of that culture too.
    It kinda gets back to Rousseau's call of how reluctant people need be "forced to be free."

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Plain simple fact remains Magic is your interpretation of that passage was wrong.
    And it doesn't matter.

What matters is the influence possessed by whoever is making whatever interpretation they want.

This stuff hardly comes down to anyone actually hating the books for their passages.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ENFJ

It kinda gets back to Rousseau's call of how reluctant people need be "forced to be free."
    I always thought the idea behind feminism was to get women to make their own decisions and to take charge of their own lives, not to force them to uncover their hair Nevermind that I find most of the hijab around here pretty, though.

I remember once reading of the Byzantine empire that westerners would say that the women were always covered but other evidence says that both women and men tended to cover themselves in modesty and custom. In many Muslim countries I've heard it's the same (though some are more extreme about women covering themselves). However when these people move to the West often men stop and women continue. It's very curious.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge